Vietnamese Food?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Niall Shaky

Vietnamese Food?

Post by Niall Shaky » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:03 pm

Does anybody know of any Vietnamese restaurants in Helsinki, or anywhere in Finland for that matter?

I was on holiday in Vietnam last year and thought the food was amazing :D

I've talked to a few Finns about this subject and they say there are some Vietnamese people running restaurants, however they are always advertised as "kiinalainen" restaurants- which is maybe more what Finns want.

Anybody have any hard info for a "pho" junky?

Vietnamese Food?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:21 pm

There is one in Tampere.

Nothing in Helsinki. Used to be one in the 1980's but it closed. Next best option there's a number of Thai places been popping up lately.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

jvrijn

Post by jvrijn » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:15 pm

There is one in Oulu as well. Don't know any in Helsinki.

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:00 pm

Try Eatz (next to Kinopalatsi).

It's not a 100 percent Vietnemese restaraunt, but it's the closest you may get to getting some pho in Helsinki...

Moo

Vietnamese restaurants

Post by Moo » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:23 pm

Unfortunately the best one of all closed in Tampere about half a year ago. :( It was a great place.

There is now a wagon-type restaurant in Tammelantori. It's OK but nothing like the other one was.

We do have several good Thai places: Thai Na Khon and its sister restaurant (don't know that one's name). Also one called Thai & Laos which has good Laotian food.

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:41 am

Vaasa has Saigon, and it has a big sister restaurant in Jakobstad.

I think the Vaasa one serves food just like in Cabramatta (Little Vietnam of Sydney). But I don't know if they are Vietnamese Vietnamese or Finnish Vietnamese. It doesn't serve salad with every meal and the rice is steamed properly (not Uncle Ben's).

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:58 am

Oh man... I gotta go to Vaasa!

I really would make a weekend trip there just to have a couple of Vietnamese meals!

:D

ikeleib

Any changes since the last post?

Post by ikeleib » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:43 pm

We're considering a move to the Helsinki/Espoo area for a job opportunity. We're from Austin, Texas in the USA. The place is crawling with vietnamese places. There must be at least a dozen. We've become very attached to having a bowl of pho after a hard day. So much so, that it has become my wife's comfort food. Is it still the case that pho cannot be found in the Helsinki area?

boO_fi

Post by boO_fi » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:06 pm

wow, what a nice topic...i'm sitting here eating my pho and red bean slushy drink... :lol:

it's so nice to be next to little saigon right now...nice bun mai, pho and fast food vietnamese restaurants! :shock:
b0 selecta!

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:25 am

Niall Shaky wrote:Oh man... I gotta go to Vaasa!

I really would make a weekend trip there just to have a couple of Vietnamese meals!

:D
That's probably your best bet, Niall. More so, Jackobstad. There are a lot of Vietnamese imigrants there.
Last edited by Handsome on Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:33 am

I was at the Jakobstad festival on the weekend and every shop owned by Vietnamese was selling spring rolls. Forget hotdogs, pea soup or over-fried herring, spring rolls is the festival food of Jakobstad! They were 1 euro each, and worth every mouthful.

Went to the Vietnamese place in Vaasa not that long ago when my brother was visiting. It was a lunch buffet, maybe 7 euro. Of course you get salad and milk with it, but lemon grass and chilli is what does it for me. You pick your self and eat as much as you want. I rarely eat dinner when I go there. mmmmm. The only down side is the place is so popular you have to share tables or wait. They have a good little business going there.

On their evening menu they have pho and red bean etc loads of desserts. It is a real mom and pop place, their daughter does all the speaking and waitressing.

smeister

Good post!

Post by smeister » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:08 pm

Hey, I was looking for a Viet restaurant too. I talked to the owner of a Chinese grocery store. He was vietnamese and he said there weren't any. I was kinda shocked since Helsinki is the big city. I had the idea of opening one up and serving Boba tea too! hahahah Pho, noodles and broth and meatballs or meat, would be a good food in Finland since it is hot and I could invent the hot boba tea too. Who knows...I am getting desperate for work.

Can we get the non-communist Vietnamese flag please?

Samppa

Re: Vietnamese Food?

Post by Samppa » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:26 pm

Niall Shaky wrote:I was on holiday in Vietnam last year and thought the food was amazing :D
Enjoy eastern food, but NEVER ask about what-you've-just-eaten's ingredients. You really don't wanna know. Oil made of spider's leg-hair or octopus' tentacle could be the least disgusting :roll:
G.S.

Make war with love

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:28 pm

The one in Oulu mentioned above must be Restaurant Dong Hai, Rantakatu 5, 90100 Oulu.

An American relative of mine from Ithaca, NY, visited me a few weeks ago and the family visited a Nepalese restaurant in Helsinki, just because their adopted girls were from that country. It's quite unbelievable what one can find in Helsinki nowadays.

boO_fi

Post by boO_fi » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:56 am

Just to rub it in...

i've been eating vietnamese food for the past 2 days! Oh and hey, i wanted to open up a boba place in helsinki! :P I don't think it'd do well though....but mmm boy am i enjoying my almond milk tea boba right now HHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH MUAHGAHA
b0 selecta!