Vietnamese Food?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
khu

Re: Vietnamese Food?

Post by khu » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:44 am

Samppa wrote:Enjoy eastern food, but NEVER ask about what-you've-just-eaten's ingredients. You really don't wanna know. Oil made of spider's leg-hair or octopus' tentacle could be the least disgusting :roll:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Could you tone down the cliched xenophobia just a LITTLE?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

khu

Post by khu » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:49 am

About pho -- being from the West Coast of the US, there are lot of good pho restaurants here, and there are exactly 0 in Joensuu. I've been able to find every single ingredient I need for pho in Finland, apart from the broth. My solution? I've purchased a large amount of pho bouillion cubes at an Asian grocer here. The rest of the ingredients in pho are available at Prisma or Citymarket: rice noodles, beef, onion, green onion, cilantro, basil, lime, chili. And so I've become my own mobile pho restaurant -- a portable feast!

And, in fact, I've done the same thing with pad thai sauce (uhh, tamarind paste is not easy to find in Finland).

Now real Chinese style tofu in Finland? I think that's another story...

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:35 pm

khu wrote: And, in fact, I've done the same thing with pad thai sauce (uhh, tamarind paste is not easy to find in Finland).
Actually, yes it is. :lol:

You just need to know where to look. There are several Asian markets and shops in Hakaniemi/Kallio... And I would imagine Stockmann Herkku has it, or could order it for you.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:20 pm

I was in Citymarket today and noticed they now have the round rice sheets for making nems (Blue Dragon label). I watched a Vietnamese lady make some once and it was quite easy but rather time consuming. I believe I have the recipe still....somewhere. You really need to make a mega batch and freeze them, preferably in summer when you can leave the doors and windows open while you fry!

khu

Post by khu » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:35 pm

superiorinferior wrote:You just need to know where to look. There are several Asian markets and shops in Hakaniemi/Kallio... And I would imagine Stockmann Herkku has it, or could order it for you.
Ok, yes I misspoke: change 'in Finland to in Joensuu', because I don't live in Helsinki. I live in Joensuu. There is no tamarind paste in the stores here. There are many shops in bigger cities that have stock that I can't get in Joensuu.

Decent tofu is another ingredient that hard to get there, though considering the number of vegan or vegetarians, someone should be in that market making big bucks!

Native

Post by Native » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:03 am

There´s a great Vietnamese restaurant in Kemi!

CCsuomi

Post by CCsuomi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:43 pm

This is an old thread but I came across it when I was searching for pho in Turku a while back. Recently I found a stall in Turku's old market hall that serves quite decent pho. Go check it out!

http://kauppahalli.fi/yritykset/ravintolat-ja-kahvilat/
Nothing makes people more neurotic than the expectation that they should be enjoying themselves.