Please I need help to translate one word...

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
kogepan

Post by kogepan » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:06 pm

:wink: Hello all! I am trying to find out what is the finnish equivalent of Swiss cheese???? I have a guess..is it emmental??? I am seeking Swiss out cuz I read it contains higher source of calcium than Edam....

Thanks for your help in advance !! :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:17 pm

Well, dooh, take a pick; Emmental, Gruyere, Appenzeller, Tilsit... off my head. Must be 50 other types and brands...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Ravvy

Post by Ravvy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:54 am

This is from across the pond, so take it with a grain of salt; my little Berlitz phrase book says that Finnish Emmental is the closest to what the UK and USA would know as Swiss cheese. (I just accidentally happened to be looking at that earlier today while on the plane, returning from a business trip.)

Cory

Post by Cory » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:48 am

It is Emmenthal but depending on the aging process and your preferences, you can chose from black, blue, red, etc.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:39 am

Hank W. wrote:Well, dooh, take a pick; Emmental, Gruyere, Appenzeller, Tilsit... off my head. Must be 50 other types and brands...

Swiss cheese = generic rubbery tasteless stuff with big holes, mice are optional.

Often used for comparison e.g. "My socks have more holes than a Swiss cheese" or "Windows XP has more holes than a Swiss cheese" = Emmenthaler.

Cory wrote:It is Emmenthal but depending on the aging process and your preferences, you can chose from black, blue, red, etc.

I've only ever tried the yellow stuff. :wink:

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:41 am

:oops:
Last edited by sinikala on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Na

Post by Na » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:48 am

Here some some Swiss opinion. Emmental is absolutely not Swiss, as the original is EmmentalER and tastes completely different from the Emmental sold in Finland and the rest of the world. Emmental is btw a region in the canton of Bern, Switzerland. They forgot to put a patent on it, so they just stole (part of) the name. The same happened also to the TilsitER, which is here called Tilsitjuusto: which has nothing got to do with Swiss cheese !!

As a cheese lover I already found a lot of cheese from Switzerland. The cheapest and widest selection you can find in Stockmann: Swiss Gruyère, Vacherin fribourgeois, Appenzeller etc.....
(Gruyere has also been copied from France! I am from the canton (region) where Gruyere is located)

The Appenzeller "classic" you can find in most of the bigger stores in Helsinki. But if you are not used to the taste and smell of the Swiss cheese.. it is a bit different.
(Hint: look always for the stamp that it is Swiss)
I lately tried the Alpzirler from Austria and found it tastes a bit similar to the Appenzeller, maybe this could be also something...

yep

Ravvy

Post by Ravvy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:36 pm

So now I am curious about the original question; is Emmental the closest Finnish cheese to Swiss?

Na

Post by Na » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:46 pm

I don't know which one that could be, if anybody knows I would be happy to taste it, as the Swiss cheese is extremely expensive here (22-30 Euros/kg), more than double than in Switz...

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:47 pm

Ravvy wrote:So now I am curious about the original question; is Emmental the closest Finnish cheese to Swiss?

I'd say yes, it is the closest to what UK / US call "Swiss cheese".

That is not to say that Emmental is anything like any genuine cheeses of Switzerland, but then again, neither is this.

sammy

Post by sammy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:57 pm

Na wrote:I don't know which one that could be, if anybody knows I would be happy to taste it, as the Swiss cheese is extremely expensive here (22-30 Euros/kg), more than double than in Switz...

Go for the black one, if you buy Valio Emmental. It's the one that's been aged longest so it's the strongest. A bit more expensive but worth the difference in price. The red is the mildest, blue somewhere in between.
(Yargh, the blue and the red could be the other way around, I rarely buy them.)

kogepan

Post by kogepan » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:21 pm

:lol: Thanx a million to you all !! You have offered some new and interesting ideas! I have jotted down all of your suggestions and will definitely check 'em out!!

Happy Cheese day! :P KIITOKSIA PALJON!!