Recipe for Reissumies or other like Finnish bread

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
alclark

Post by alclark » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:55 pm

I'm also waiting for the recipes - :wink: - hope they could also include Vaasa's 'Ruispalat' and S-Mikkeli's 'Marski'

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

zoltar

Post by zoltar » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:35 pm

Reissumies is regular Finnish sour rye bread only in small round flat pieces. Also, if your mill and rye supply inconvenient, King Arthur sells good stuff and they should ship to CA ( http://www.bakerscatalogue.com )

Use google or A9 or Amazon and search for 'Finnish rye bread' and you'll find a number of recipes, but the important part to look for is the sour starter which involves putting a bit of water, rye flour and yeast together for a few days to ferment. I will also add that there are few things more sticky and difficult to work with than rye dough.

If you can't' find something you can use I might have time to type in the recipe later but it's long and involved.

alclark

Post by alclark » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:36 pm

The % of rye flour in Reisumies is 47% - rest wheat, potato, wheat bran, etc. A similar % for Ruispalat.

Sour ryes such as Marski probably has much higher rye content. Wheat allows the bread to rise much more than rye.

Interestingly enough the 'sour rye' in Finland is nowheres near as sour as the much lighter (and lower rye content) of the traditional Jewish Sour Rye found in NY area.

zoltar

Post by zoltar » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:18 am

I don't know if it's the mill of the flour, but at least the ingredients on the Fazer page mention that it is whole ground rye rather than ground parts of the rye. It also lists rye malt and potato flakes.

http://www.fazergroup.com/templates/Faz ... anguage=FI

I mentioned using A9 or other search engine that looks through books on amazon because the sour rye is about as close a published recipe as you'll find since it isn't all that different and the recipes in english will deal with ingredients you can obtain without a Finnair flight. Many of the rye bread recipes do add wheat flour for the gluten as well since rye has very little.

For some reason rye bread is sparsely documented, both in Finnish and in English and no two recipes are the same.

alclark

Post by alclark » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:51 am

While this is written to help people who need to avoid gluten, it also explains how gluten works, etc.

Gluten and Baking
Known for its versatility and nutrition, wheat, one of the best sources of gluten, is nearly ubiquitous in western diets. Of the numerous foods prepared with wheat-pasta, breakfast cereals, veggie burgers, cream soups, just to name a few-yeast breads ar e among the most sorely missed by Celiacs (those allergic to gluten) because finding acceptable gluten-free alternatives to yeast bread is quite difficult. The reason for this difficulty is that gluten, which Celiacs must completely avoid, is also one of the crucial elements of bread baking.

In terms of the medical definition of Celiac Disease, or Gluten Intolerance, "gluten" is defined as the mixture of many protein fragments (called peptide chains or polypeptides) found in common cereal grains—wheat, rye, barely and oats. Wheat is the only grain considered to contain true "gluten" and the peptides that predominate in wheat gluten are gliadin and glutenin.

In baking terminology, "gluten" is defined as a network of intertwined water insoluble proteins (gliadin and glutenin) with water molecules trapped in between. The fibrous protein strands of glutenin and gliadin have properties of elasticity and plasticity that make raised breads possible. Rye flour contains gluten consisting of only glutenin and not gliadin, making it inferior to wheat gluten for baking. Other grains such as barley and oats have small amounts of gluten. This is why wheat flour is often a dded to rye and other non-wheat flours when making raised breads.

Gliadins and glutenins are both long molecules. Under a microscope, gliadins look like compact balls while glutenin molecules resemble fishing line that has been coiled or folded back upon itself. When mixed together, as they are in dough, these two proteins form a tangle of strands. Carbon dioxide gas from yeast and sourdough (as well as other leavening agents such as baking powder or baking soda used in quick breads and cakes) are trapped by the strands of gluten which must both expand and simultaneously contain the gas. This is where elasticity and plasticity come into play. The gluten must be plastic enough to stretch with the gas but also elastic enough (think "memory yarn" from L'eggs pantyhose here) so as to hold its shape. Otherwise the gas would simply escape the dough and dissipate into the surrounding air.

As the yeast dough is exposed to processing such as kneading or beating, the tangled strands of gluten begin to unfold into a more uniform mass and the dough becomes more stiff, smooth and shiny. Those who have ever attempted to bake bread will recognize this as the stage at which the recipe typically says, "knead dough until smooth and elastic."

alclark

Post by alclark » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:39 pm

Well - you've got the ingredients. The best thing would be to do some 'trials' as to actual quantities.

You know the taste and consuistency you are looking for - so it can't take that many 'tries.'

And Vaasa - IMHO and others - definitely improved on Fazer /Oulainen - so you can well come up with something you like more than the original.

zoltar

Post by zoltar » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:27 am

Can you get rye malt in Vancouver?

There aren't many recipes in Swedish since this is one of the few things that didn't arrive in Finland via the Swedes. I'll see if I can find something closer to the listed ingredients in Finnish.

zoltar

Post by zoltar » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:34 pm

So after hunting around it would seem that the Reissumies is just a slight variation on the sour rye instead of a variation on the potato rye. The recipe makes 2 regular loaves, though I don't know how many small round sandwich bits it will make. You'll also likely need to fiddle with the potato flake amount since I'm only guesstimating the volume based on the advertised percentage so it may be more or less. I make this (sans potato and malt rye) bread fairly often and think it is a reasonably good match for the reissumies. There was another recipe in a swedish cookbook that is very similar, but it used a lot of syrup.

You might be able to find malted rye at a home brewer's supply store.

Poolish:
6g fresh yeast
1.25 cup warm water (about 35C)
9oz or 255g whole rye flour

Bread:
7 oz or 200g whole rye flour
7.5 oz or 212g bread flour
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup warm water (about 35C)
1/2 cup potato flakes
2 tablespoons malted rye

For the poolish: Whisk yeast into the water until completely dissolved, add flour and whisk until you have a thick batter. Cover with towel and let rest for 3-5 hours. It is ready to use when it forms a dome and then begins to flatten slightly. Use immediately at this point.

Mix together the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add water. Mix together and add poolish. Using a bowl scraper, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and work the dough into a ball. Place in lightly floured bowl, cover and let rest for 45 minutes.

Turn dough out again, work lightly, reshape into a ball and let rest for another 45 minutes.

Turn dough out, divide into two equal parts, shape each into a ball and leave on the counter, covered with dishtowel, to rest for 5 minutes. Mold loaves into tight balls, cover again, and let rise for an hour until they have nearly doubled in volume. Preheat oven to 475F/250C.

Place loaves on cookie sheet, bake for 5 minutes and turn heat down to 400F/200C for another 40-45 minutes.

When the loaves are done, they will look quite dark and sound hollow if tapped on the bottom. Remove and allow to cool completely before eating.

alclark

Post by alclark » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:32 pm

I'll certainly try the recipe - I'm tempted to use 'graham' and/or whole wheat flour where it says 'bread flour'

Basically find that using the 'kokojyvä/sämpylä' flour as a general flour is tastier and healthier - some exceptions of crs where the 'white poison' is needed. Lidl has a good sämpylä (roll) flour for 99 cents/kg - sometimes 79 cents

surfgirl

Re: Recipe for Reissumies or other like Finnish bread

Post by surfgirl » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:00 am

My Finnish grandmother made a bread that was delicious. She did not write down the recipe and my mother and aunts never watched carefully enough to recreate the recipe. She died suddenly and my sisters and I would love to once again taste that fabulous bread (and make it for my mother). The way this bread is described sounds like it is my grandmother's bread. Could someone please send me a recipe. Thanks