TURKU means TURKS or not?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Post Reply
User avatar
bluesDREAMS
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:32 am
Location: Istanbul - Turkey

TURKU means TURKS or not?

Post by bluesDREAMS » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:54 am

TURKU is quite similar to my countrys name TURKIYE (TURKEY in English), TURK+U seems like belong to TURKS , since I believe Finns and Turks are coming from similar ancestors (or at least lived as neighbour) TURKU word can have a related meaning with Turks...do you have any idea or knowledge about the meaning of TURKU word?


"Peace is the most effective way for nations to attain prosperity and happiness"
Ataturk - Founder of the Turkish Republic

TURKU means TURKS or not?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

User avatar
Hank W.
The Motorhead
Posts: 29987
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:00 pm
Location: Mushroom Mountain
Contact:

Post by Hank W. » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:10 am

"Turku" is an ancient word for 'marketplace' ; in estonian "turg" in Swedish "torg" from ancient Russian "turgu".

I have about as good theory about the name: "Turkey" is named after the people that were selling in the marketplace (turg), who then ran away screaming ei- ei -ei (no in Finnish) - as it was too cold here and business was bad and found a nice warm place with beaches and lemon tea and Greeks to haggle with :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.


sammy
Posts: 7313
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:38 pm

Re: TURKU means TURKS or not?

Post by sammy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:53 am

bluesDREAMS wrote:TURKU is quite similar to my countrys name TURKIYE (TURKEY in English), TURK+U seems like belong to TURKS , since I believe Finns and Turks are coming from similar ancestors (or at least lived as neighbour) TURKU word can have a related meaning with Turks...do you have any idea or knowledge about the meaning of TURKU word?
And you know, the word Ankara means "strict" in Finnish. So your theory must be strictly true... not really

On the other hand, Turkki -the Finnish form of Turkey- means "fur coat" so what would you make of that? Them ancient people must have been quite strict with haggling, when selling their fur coats on the marketplace...

BUT - if you wish, you can have Turku. When would be the most suitable time for you to come and dig it up? It could fit rather nicely somewhere next to the strait of Bosphorus.


User avatar
Richard
Posts: 2679
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:50 pm
Location: Near Kilo

Post by Richard » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:51 am

:lol:


User avatar
efx
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:46 am
Location: Turkiye
Contact:

Re: TURKU means TURKS or not?

Post by efx » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:18 am

sammy wrote: On the other hand, Turkki -the Finnish form of Turkey- means "fur coat"
interesting :rainbow:
fighting with hatred feeds the rich men


User avatar
Hank W.
The Motorhead
Posts: 29987
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:00 pm
Location: Mushroom Mountain
Contact:

Re: TURKU means TURKS or not?

Post by Hank W. » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:12 pm

sammy wrote: BUT - if you wish, you can have Turku. When would be the most suitable time for you to come and dig it up? It could fit rather nicely somewhere next to the strait of Bosphorus.
Actually, I think that as we call the Swedish-speakers "hurri", this must be related to the ancient Hurrians, so they are their long-lost relatives. ;)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.


sammy
Posts: 7313
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:38 pm

Re: TURKU means TURKS or not?

Post by sammy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:17 pm

Hank W. wrote:Actually, I think that as we call the Swedish-speakers "hurri", this must be related to the ancient Hurrians, so they are their long-lost relatives. ;)
Oh - I always thought the word "hurri" was derived from Herrey's :twisted:


EP
Posts: 5739
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:41 pm

Post by EP » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:28 pm

I have haggled for a turkki (well, fur inside) on a turku in Istanbul.


Coren
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:40 pm

Re: TURKU means TURKS or not?

Post by Coren » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:02 pm

Hank W. wrote:
sammy wrote: BUT - if you wish, you can have Turku. When would be the most suitable time for you to come and dig it up? It could fit rather nicely somewhere next to the strait of Bosphorus.
Actually, I think that as we call the Swedish-speakers "hurri", this must be related to the ancient Hurrians, so they are their long-lost relatives. ;)
I thought the word somewhat origins from Swedish yelling "Hurraa!", while Finns yell "Eläköön!". :)

http://www.kotus.fi/julkaisut/ikkunat/1 ... 99_6.shtml


sammy
Posts: 7313
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:38 pm

Re: TURKU means TURKS or not?

Post by sammy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:15 pm

Coren wrote:I thought the word somewhat origins from Swedish yelling "Hurraa!", while Finns yell "Eläköön!". :)
Could be... although, by extrapolation, this means that I'm an eläkeläinen instead of suomalainen :wink: (not true quite yet...)


Coren
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:40 pm

Re: TURKU means TURKS or not?

Post by Coren » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:18 pm

sammy wrote: Could be... although, by extrapolation, this means that I'm an eläkeläinen instead of suomalainen :wink: (not true quite yet...)
There's nothing to be shamed of in being eläkeläinen. :wink:


bunny
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:08 pm

Post by bunny » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:48 am

Coren are u heading that way?????


Ilkka
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:29 pm

Re: TURKU means TURKS or not?

Post by Ilkka » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Hei! "Turku" name is known as an old name for market/trade/bazaar center in Slavic languages. Most probably the name "Turku" being created by Slav countries pursuant to the Turks due to in old days Turkey or Ottoman Empire being the centre of trade in most cases for Europeans as well as others. Also both Finnish and Turkish belonging in the same language family (Altaic/Altay), in our daily lives we do see very similar words, which gets used in both countries even though they may not mean the same.


Post Reply