All sounds greek to me!

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
daive

All sounds greek to me!

Post by daive » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:45 pm

I can't believe how difficult it is to find Hummus and Taramasolata here in Helsinki, or maybe I am just looking in all the wrong places...

Does anyone know ehere they are centrally available downtown, I still can't believe they don't sell any of that stuff in Stockmann. Just like I can't believe they don't sell matzahs at Passover time there either, they would make a fortune.

By the way, I do know they sell Hummus of sorts down the Kauppatori by the harbour, the place where they have the giant olives and stuff but I want to try some other...

Thanks very many

Daive

PS. And no I can't be bothered to make it myself! :P

All sounds greek to me!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

BAT

Post by BAT » Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:22 pm

I usually make my own hummus and salsa - it is pretty quick. When I find my recipes I'll post them here. (I keep putting them on tiny pieces of paper and I lose them!)

A great place to find recipes is http://www.allrecipes.com - have to convert the measurements, but no biggie.

zmt

Post by zmt » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:05 pm

Have you tried the indian/pakistanese shops around Hakaniemi? I usually buy the Tahineh and the chicken peas and make my own Hummus. I can send you a recipe if you need one! Oh, indians sometimes don't know what "tahineh" is, so try asking for sesame paste....

Good Luck!

daive

Post by daive » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:58 pm

zmt wrote:Have you tried the indian/pakistanese shops around Hakaniemi? I usually buy the Tahineh and the chicken peas and make my own Hummus. I can send you a recipe if you need one! Oh, indians sometimes don't know what "tahineh" is, so try asking for sesame paste....

Good Luck!
It is funny, I love hummus but really hate tahini! When I was living in the middle east I used to make both hummus and tahini in huge quantities.

I managed to find tahini in both Citymarket and also Stockman. :wink:

Thanks for the info anyways. :lol:

shazman

Post by shazman » Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:39 pm

zmt wrote:Have you tried the indian/pakistanese shops around Hakaniemi? I usually buy the Tahineh and the chicken peas and make my own Hummus. I can send you a recipe if you need one! Oh, indians sometimes don't know what "tahineh" is, so try asking for sesame paste....

Good Luck!
Pakistanese ?????????? the nationality is Pakistani :roll:
Image Image Anteeksi, olen ulkomalainen!

zmt

Post by zmt » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:11 pm

Pakistanese ?????????? the nationality is Pakistani

Sorry! Spoken I usually say "pakis"...

BAT

Post by BAT » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:15 pm

You might want to use "Pakistanis", as "Pakis" is considered to be a slang and offensive term. (In Canada at least, don't know about other places.)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:07 am

AFAIK in England its counted on the 'slur' list too. May rise eyebrows in company. Actually - gets you into deep !"#¤%:
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_808503.html?menu=
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_800721.html?menu=

However;
Somebody should really tell about these kinds of things to the locals though... http://ww2.paki.com/index.htm :roll:
Last edited by Hank W. on Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:55 am

Perhaps the term "paki" in the UK and "mustalainen" here in Finland can be drawn as roughly parallel in terms of political correctness?

Some people think that "mustalainen" is totally offensive here and use "romaanii", others don't really think so at all and use it with no problem.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:25 am

Well, 'mustalainen' is on the modern 'slur' list, and you can't say 'romani' either, atleast the newspapers say 'dressed in national costume'. Older generation doesn't see it necessary to change their ways I guess in any country. But then calling someone 'musta' gets confusing - why do people insist on being called a slur? Much confusion. The newspapers say in 1980 and now are like night and day for what it comes to language. The thing is words used in different places mean different things and have different ballast. Say if going to Russia don't jot anywhere down you're 'Caucasian' as that'll result in a stripsearch. And I wouldn't go around calling people Caucasians in Finland either even there is no such ballast on the word just about as peculiar as calling people Mongolians. (Favorite of the 19th century German scientists.)
Cheers, Hank W.

daive

Post by daive » Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:53 pm

Thank you very many boys and girls, but please lets not get technical and detract from the original point of my thread.... I am still looking for good places in Helsinki to buy hummus and taramasolata. :evil:

Maybe take this to the Eduskuntatalo section!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:49 pm

Well did you try that guy Neil recommended in Itäkeskus?
Cheers, Hank W.

daive

Post by daive » Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:13 pm

Hank W. wrote:Well did you try that guy Neil recommended in Itäkeskus?
Cheers Hanky, but I never seem to have the time to travel to Itäkeskus, especially after work and at weekends it is enough hassle to drag myself to the centre let alone there. We tried Jumbo (went by car) but even they didn't have it there and those are BIG supermarkets!

I might have to take a walk along the backstreets at some point, Hämeentie and Eerinkinkatu etc, all sorts of little shops with ethic produce there, will report back on my findings... not going nowhere today with my hangover, can't believe I managed to drive the car to the local garage to change my winter tyres, now back to my pj's and relax.
Last edited by daive on Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:10 pm

Getting your butt on the train and then on the metro takes less time than driving to Jumbo. (Perfect hangover excersize). Next time you do that, jump off at Hakaniemi, do the ethnic shop tour and then continue to Itäkeskus. I could come with some day as I know most of the stores, but really only thing I'd need is peanut oil and I think they had that in Myyrmanni (need to check first).
Cheers, Hank W.

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:39 pm

Sorry to totally derail your question daive! :mrgreen:

Come ooon man, you really to lazy to make it yourself?

Arabella's Authentic-ish Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans
some lemon
some garlic
some paprika
some tahini if you can find it in your fridge

dump in blender. high speed until consistency of baby food.
et voila!