Leipäjuusto

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
DAL

Leipäjuusto

Post by DAL » Tue May 20, 2003 11:40 am

I am in America and need a recipe for Leipäjuusto as I have a craving for the stuff and can't find it over here.

Leipäjuusto

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Sara

Post by Sara » Tue May 20, 2003 12:20 pm

ugh!! sorry but I call it squeaky cheese! Its what it does on your teeth trying to eat it!

I have quite a good finnish cookbook. The Finnish cookbook by Beatrice A Ojakangas. Its written for the American kitchen so if you wanted to make lots of finnish food I would recommend it.

Baked Flat cheese - Pohjalainen Luipäjuusto

1 quart skim milk
1 rennet tablet
1 tablespoon water
salt

Heat the milk to just 100o (use candy thermometer to check it). Crush the rennet tablet in the water, disolve and add to the warmed milk. Pour the mass that forms onto the centre of a large dish towel that you have drapped over a colander, and bring the corners together to make a bag. Let drain until mass is fairly dry. Discard the whey. Line an 8-inch round cake pan with foil. Pat the curd into a cake about 5 inches in diameter and center it in the pan Bake in a very hot oven (550o) for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and press the cheese into a firmer mass, again draining off the whey, and let it cool. Sprinkle with salt, cut into wedges and serve. Maked about 1/4 pound of cheese.

DAL

Post by DAL » Thu May 22, 2003 4:32 am

YOU ROCK - I don't know you but I think I love you!

jvrijn

Post by jvrijn » Fri May 23, 2003 11:04 pm

Sara wrote:1 rennet tablet

What's a rennet tablet? Obviously, I am a European....

Sara

Post by Sara » Fri May 23, 2003 11:38 pm

oh dear, you really want to know, its not pleasant!

Milk is coagulated by the addition of rennet, its used for making cheeses.

The active ingredient of rennet is the enzyme, chymosin (also known as rennin). The usual source of rennet is the stomach of slaughtered newly-born calves. Vegetarian cheeses are manufactured using rennet from either fungal or bacterial sources.

jvrijn

Post by jvrijn » Sun May 25, 2003 1:18 pm

That's what I thought it would be. Any idea what it would be called in Finland (and where to get it) ?

In India they also make cheese for some of their curries. They use citric acid to separate the milk. I haven't tried it yet, but it should work because milk separates with citric acids, as you may have noticed when mixing milk and orange juice.

Bring fatty milk to the boil with some lemon juice. You should see the milk separating.
Poor the mixture through a cloth, discard the whey.
Squeeze the contents of the cloth.
Put in a bowl. Put a plate on top of it. Note, the plate should press down on the cheese.
Put a weight on the plate, like a bowl of water.
Leave for a few days.

If you try it, let me know how it went....

/Jeroen

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun May 25, 2003 2:22 pm

juoksutin/juoksete
- but don't ask me where to get some... need to ask some cookery people for that
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun May 25, 2003 3:40 pm

Sara wrote:oh dear, you really want to know, its not pleasant!

Milk is coagulated by the addition of rennet, its used for making cheeses.

The active ingredient of rennet is the enzyme, chymosin (also known as rennin). The usual source of rennet is the stomach of slaughtered newly-born calves. Vegetarian cheeses are manufactured using rennet from either fungal or bacterial sources.

And in goats cheese they use goats-urine. YUK!!!

Jim Kurtti

Post by Jim Kurtti » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:35 pm

THe FINNISH AMERICAN REPORTER has had two recent articles on leipäjuusto - one including a recipe. It is now being produced on a commercial level in Michigan and Wisconsin. The issues were Dec 02
and Mary 03. For a sample copy, contact the Finnish American Reporter (FAR) at [email protected]
James N. Kurtti
Editor - Finnish American Reporter
Director - Finnish American Heritage Center & Historical Archives
Finlandia University
Hancock, MI 49930 USA
phone: 906-487-7302 - fax: 906-497-7557
http://www.finnishamericanreporter.com/

Donald

Post by Donald » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:31 am

Jim Kurtti wrote:THe FINNISH AMERICAN REPORTER has had two recent articles on leipäjuusto - one including a recipe. It is now being produced on a commercial level in Michigan and Wisconsin. The issues were Dec 02
and Mary 03. For a sample copy, contact the Finnish American Reporter (FAR) at [email protected]

Hei Jim,

Welcome to .!!! Good to have you on board. I am sure we have a lot to learn from each other.. :D

Best wsihes,
Donald