Eurovision

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Sara

Eurovision

Post by Sara » Sun May 25, 2003 3:59 pm

Did anyone else watch that shambles last night?

I think Ive seen WLM thoughts on the BBC site.

UK was dire!!! It was just bloody awful, really cringeworthy performance and I just read that they expected to win!! :shock:

Austria should have won just for the comedy value. That was the best laugh all evening.

The whole thing seems to be going down the toilet, quite possibly the worst ever year!

Eurovision

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun May 25, 2003 4:06 pm

Surely the wrong forum for eurovision :)

Slothrop

Re: Eurovision

Post by Slothrop » Sun May 25, 2003 9:58 pm

Sara wrote:Did anyone else watch that shambles last night?

I think Ive seen WLM thoughts on the BBC site.

Guilty as charged, your Worship. However, in my defence I should say they cut the line about an artist of rather better calibre (His Bobness) and a lyric about "how does it FEEEEEEEL..." and "now you don't talk so loud, now you don't feel so proud".

Serves the bu99ers right for always laughing at the likes of us and the Norwegians in the days when the Brits used to be nearly the only ones who sang in a language people understood. They turned out crap songs then, but got points because people could at least vaguely understand the words.

Now they seem to have relaxed the rules (when did that happen?) and it struck me that the entire contest (honest, I was only watching with half an eye while I was working, I promise) would serve as perfect material for a 5th grade ala-aste English course. Nice simple rhymes and no words longer than "marmelade".

WebDesEyen

Post by WebDesEyen » Sun May 25, 2003 11:39 pm

Richard wrote:Surely the wrong forum for eurovision :)
it's culture! don't let donald move it...
i should have studied something basic, like quantummechanics...

WebDesEyen

Post by WebDesEyen » Sun May 25, 2003 11:40 pm

i only watched the short recaps live (i managed to zap into it on exactly the right moment). i watched about half of the points thing, and was amazed about the uk getting zip as well.
the overall quality of the songs was of the general tragic level i think. they all sound the same (except for austria), they all look the same, they all have the same push behind it.
what i really didn't and still don't understand was why tatu got so many points. they were off tune all through the song, they were off timing all through the song, and they had not done what they promised: perform naked. really consideratly overrated.
at least this time the voting was done by the audience and not by some 85 year old record company guy that thinks he knows what kids like.
i should have studied something basic, like quantummechanics...

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Mon May 26, 2003 12:37 am

WebDesEyen wrote:what i really didn't and still don't understand was why tatu got so many points. they were off tune all through the song, they were off timing all through the song, and they had not done what they promised: perform naked. really consideratly overrated.

I'm guessing here, but my son expressed some slight disappointment that the Russian pair did not triumph, as he seemed convinced they were going to bare all only in the post-competition rendition of the tune. Perhaps voters were putting tits before taste.

I did pay attention to the fact that the director kept the camera angles very safe; nothing above a medium close-up, and every time the awful duo threatened to hold hands or do something soppy, he quickly whipped over to the neanderthal drummer instead.

Another odd point: considering the media frenzy about booing and whatnot, and how the Latvian audience didn't like them, how come they gave the song 12 points? Hard to put this down to neighbourly goodwill; there's not a great deal of love lost between the Latvians and the Russians. Perhaps they, too, wanted a bit of unscheduled action to spice up the tired old competition.

daive

Post by daive » Mon May 26, 2003 7:17 am

WebDesEyen wrote:at least this time the voting was done by the audience and not by some 85 year old record company guy that thinks he knows what kids like.

Well, not strictly true in the case of Russia. All the other countries adopted this new scheme of voting but Russia was excuded from this as their communication network was decidedly not up to the job. They have a weak infrastructure and couldn't rely on messages getting from A to B so old style mafia jury voting was done instead.

And yes I set the recorder too in the faint hope that I would get to see their pairs of TATUs, oh well not that great a loss! My friend managed to record the Terry Wogan version of Eurovision for me to watch. I think it will be slightly better than the Finnish version. He adds a certain humour that I think is well needed! Good old Tel!

jvrijn

Post by jvrijn » Mon May 26, 2003 7:37 am

WLM wrote:Another odd point: considering the media frenzy about booing and whatnot, and how the Latvian audience didn't like them, how come they gave the song 12 points? Hard to put this down to neighbourly goodwill; there's not a great deal of love lost between the Latvians and the Russians. Perhaps they, too, wanted a bit of unscheduled action to spice up the tired old competition.

TATU were quite crappy indeed. As for the votes for TATU. Most of the Baltic states have considerable ethnic Russian populations. During their time in the USSR, Russians were transplanted all over the Sovjet Union. My theory is that for the Baltic states the native populations were divided in their votes, the Russian ethnic groups voted for TATU.

I saw the British contribution and frankly, for peace sake, I think it is better if I don't say anything about it :-) The comments on BBC World afterwards was hilarious though. According to the article, the Brits didn't get any points because of their position in the war, which was not popular in the rest of Europe. Questions will be asked about how countries award their points.... hahahahahaha :P

/Jeroen