For people wanting something more than macaroni

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
enk

Post by enk » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:26 pm

Ran across this place today: http://www.eiring.fi/english.php?s=1208523543645
Neapolitan coffee, too. I'm glad this place is in the next town over or I might
be a daily customer :)
We carry a rich selection of food stuffs from the Mediterranean. Setaro handmade pasta and traditional Passalacqua coffee come from Naples. A variety of olive oils from Italy and Greece and balsamic vinegar from Modena, as well as walnut oil from the Dordogne and pumpkin-seed oil from Bavaria. We have a variety of sea salts from Trapani in Sicily and wild capers both from the Greek island of Syros and Pantelleria between Sicily and Tunisia.
Ab Eiring Oy
Korkeavuorenkatu 15B, FIN-00130 Helsinki

-enk

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Mook

Re: For people wanting something more than macaroni

Post by Mook » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:01 pm

Yeah, we get our coffee there too!
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

Kupcake

Post by Kupcake » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:10 pm

The rice is wonderful too and they have a lovely assortment of English conserves and lime and lemon butters. Often he gets in cool gadgets too.

Thanks for this post. I haven't been for ages - will pay him a visit again tomorrow.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

enk

Post by enk » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:14 pm

The gadgets and cookware got me drooling :D

-enk

Kupcake

Post by Kupcake » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:27 pm

Me too! I'm loving those tagines. Been thinking about getting one for ages - tomorrow may be the day!

Did you see the recipe for tarte tatin? It looks amazing ... :thumbsup:
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

enk

Post by enk » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:42 pm

Kupcake wrote:Did you see the recipe for tarte tatin? It looks amazing ... :thumbsup:
Uh-huh! I was just wondering if I'd have the patience to make that for my youngest one's
birthday tomorrow :D

I've also been thinking about getting one of the fancier apple peelers so my hands don't break
out every time I peel the bloody things (I'm allergic to them raw).

*sigh* Fortunately I have this kids this weekend, otherwise I'd be there tomorrow sighing
over bakeware :)

-enk

Thelonious

Post by Thelonious » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:47 pm

Yeah Eiring is a wonderful shop. We get our coffee, capers, fior di sale, pasta, Solimene ceramics and what not from there too!

Jonas Eiring (the owner) imports food stuff and related products directly from the producers that he knows personally. Jonas is fluent in english, italian, french, greek, swedish, but not so fluent in Finnish language.

enk

Post by enk » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:48 pm

Thelonious wrote:Yeah Eiring is a wonderful shop. We get our coffee, capers, fior di sale, pasta, Solimene ceramics and what not from there too!

Jonas Eiring (the owner) imports food stuff and related products directly from the producers that he knows personally. Jonas is fluent in english, italian, french, greek, swedish, but not so fluent in Finnish language.
So I guess I'll either have to speak to him in one of the other ones or learn Greek ;)

-enk

Thelonious

Post by Thelonious » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:51 pm

Yeah, Enk, do that. I speak to him in Italian. :lol:

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:51 pm

I brought myself a tagine back from Tunisia, I love those slow cooked meat dishes, they are so full of flavour. You can get Ras el Hanout from the spice counter just inside the main door to Hakaniemi market hall if you are into N.African stews and look out for cheap lemons in the next few weeks, the small ones with the thin skins are perfect for preserving and using in the tagine (eg chicken with lemons and almonds).

Not sure I would get the Emil Henri tatin dish though. I don't think you get a nice caramel on a non-stick pan (the apples in that photo don't look really caramelised to me) and it's hard to find a decent apple up here that doesn't fall apart (ie no Bramleys). I might try with Pink Lady as soon as they get back into the shops.

I made a fig clafouti this evening.... went in to Citymarket (K Market???) in Kamppi to get some bread on my way home from work this evening and there was some kind of special promotion on fruit. Tons of exotic fruits and not so exotic ones, great selection. The figs were just perfect. Also had butternut squash in there.

Mook

Post by Mook » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:42 pm

There even seems to be an Eiring fanclub...
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

Thelonious

Post by Thelonious » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:44 pm

I just received the following message from Eiring. :

Let's Talk about Pasta

Hei!

It's Davide here. You may have seen me at Eiring; most of the time I am in the kitchen... In collaboration with Jonas I am organizing a pasta course over three Sundays. We'll gather in Eiring's kitchen and each session will deal with different aspects of the history and traditions of pasta. The meetings will be held in English and will last a flexible couple of hours from 4pm on each Sunday afternoon. The maximum number of participants is restricted to 15 and the cost per person is 100euros for all three Sundays or 40e for one day (the fee includes food and wine).

The program is as follows:

22nd November: in the first meeting following very simple recipes (e.g. "aglio olio e peperoncino", "sugo di pomodoro fresco al basilico" and "carbonara") we will learn the very basics of pasta preparation plus some useful generic tips.

The 29th November we will then get to know more advanced techniques learning how to deal with sea-fruits ("spaghetti con le cozze"), fish ("vermicelli alici e pecorino"), meat ("ragout alla bolognese") and in season vegetables ("fettuccine alla crema di peperoni e vodka").

Finally, the 6th December we will meet recipes that requires more experience ("gnocchi di patate") and old tradition winter soups ("pasta e fagioli", "pasta e ceci"). We will then celebrate independence learning how to express our creativity using the best products of Finland (e.g. fresh salmon, summer fresh peas...)!

For bookings and inquiries please contact me directly.

A presto....

Davide

Davide Papale <pdavidigno[at]googlemail.com>

raamv

Post by raamv » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:13 am

I keep missing the place that enk posted..
Mebbe I am going there tomorrow..

raina169

Post by raina169 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:31 am

Thanks for letting me know about other good stuff !

j.juuppeli

Post by j.juuppeli » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:10 pm

enk wrote:Ran across this place today: http://www.eiring.fi/english.php?s=1208523543645
Neapolitan coffee, too. I'm glad this place is in the next town over or I might
be a daily customer :)
We carry a rich selection of food stuffs from the Mediterranean. Setaro handmade pasta and traditional Passalacqua coffee come from Naples. A variety of olive oils from Italy and Greece and balsamic vinegar from Modena, as well as walnut oil from the Dordogne and pumpkin-seed oil from Bavaria. We have a variety of sea salts from Trapani in Sicily and wild capers both from the Greek island of Syros and Pantelleria between Sicily and Tunisia.
Ab Eiring Oy
Korkeavuorenkatu 15B, FIN-00130 Helsinki

-enk

Thank you for an excellent link!