Starbucks in Finland!?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Pursuivant

Re: Starbucks in Finland!?

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:28 pm

I could swim over mississippi with a coffee bean between my asscheeks and still leave a browner streak... a cup of coffee you see no spoon. if you see the spoon its tea

on the other hand the cold coffee they sell in Greece in the summer would be a wicked good thing here

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

MagicJ

Post by MagicJ » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:32 pm

ImageImage

Iseult

Post by Iseult » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:14 pm

I frequented Starbucks while still living in London, for the simple reason that I was able to get an identical hot chocolate everywhere. Here, if you go to Wayne's or wherever, even if they're part of the same chain, one café will give you a great hot chocolate and the other one a crap one. There's a world of difference between and good hot chocolate and a bad one, so it's not worth taking the risk if you can avoid it. I don't drink coffee so can't comment on that...

Having said that, I didn't love the Starbucks hot chocolate enough to specifically seek them out if they were to open in Helsinki. I might pop in if I were to walk past, though.
Finland -> Australia -> Finland -> Canada -> Finland -> the UK -> Finland

AlexInHelsinki

Post by AlexInHelsinki » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:49 pm

Yeah, I think it has a lot to do with consistancy. You know what you're going to get. It's true...in New England and NYC you really can't go more than half a mile in any direction without running into a Starbucks. And people are seriously addicted. Though in London it's getting to be the same...just look at Upper St. between Angel and Highbury & Islington; can't be more than half a mile and there are no less than 3 seperate Starbucks along that stretch. A bit ridiculous.

Personally, I'm not much of a coffee drinker and my palate isn't that refined, but Starbucks is OK for me as far as taste goes. Kind of a rip-off as far as price, though (but that's standard nowadays). If they opened up shop here in Helsinki, I'd probably go just once in a while for the sake of familiarity. Every now and then in London I'd treat myself to a small (or is it "tall"?) caramel machiato to the ridiculous tune of 4 quid and change.

AND it should be noted that there are a lot of Starbucks lovers, but there are a lot of haters as well. As a big company, they've come under fire for their tactics in taking over small local coffee shops by questionable means. If I drank coffee on a regular basis, I'd rather support a local independent cafe than a giant company, though again there's something to be said for familiarity, convenience, and consistency, especially when you're away from your local cafe. Arguments on both sides, I guess.

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:33 pm

I hope they open a SB cos then I can have a coffee with my cool friends and I can buy a CD while I am there, cos I need a big corporation to advise me on what music to like....God, I want to fit in so badly.
Black Flag kills ants on contact

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:57 pm

BTW a good book for you coffee enthusiasts: "The Devils Cup" by Stewart Lee Allen

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:07 pm

AlexTroublemaker wrote:Yeah, I think it has a lot to do with consistancy. You know what you're going to get.
But it's like McD's....You're in a strange place, you really need to eat and use the bathroom, you have no time...it's a safe option...It's crap but at least you know that and you know the toilets will be reasonably clean and there will probably be paper. I always feel it's worse when you are hoping the food is good and it isn't...but you know what you get with BK/KFC/ etc etc

AlexInHelsinki

Post by AlexInHelsinki » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:09 pm

Yeah, I was totally thinking of McDonald's. You know what you're going to get. Though with McDonald's and such the theory backfires; the whole idea of these places is SO gross and creepy that I wouldn't go if you paid me.

And yeah, if there's one thing Starbucks is good for, it's letting you know you can get a CD of the blandest music possible with your latte.

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:19 pm

AlexTroublemaker wrote:Yeah, I was totally thinking of McDonald's. You know what you're going to get. Though with McDonald's and such the theory backfires; the whole idea of these places is SO gross and creepy that I wouldn't go if you paid me.

And yeah, if there's one thing Starbucks is good for, it's letting you know you can get a CD of the blandest music possible with your latte.
Bland music to fit your bland surroundings, coffee, and company!

FIRAT

Post by FIRAT » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:25 pm

Hopefully KFC would open some restaurants in Finland too!Or is there already?

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:31 pm

Not to my knowledge...

I've heard that a certain large company has the licenses of stuff like BK, KFC, Hard Rock and won't open them...Keeps foreign competition out.

Dunno if it's true and seems ilogical but that's what I have been told by 'a man in the pub'.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:58 pm

who was it now that owns the franchise rights... its an investment they bought the rights and of course they want money if someone wants to step in... running a system you need to buy all stuff abroad and try to compete here with a standard...

well, there used to be a BurgerKing that went bellyup and a Planet Hollywood... and Pizza Hut is 50/60 not doing so good and the McD is desperately trying to find some idiot to take over...

FIRAT

Post by FIRAT » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:07 pm

Well if there would be KFC or domino's pizza,at least there would be somewhere else to go to eat except Hesburger,same comes about Starbucks,havent seen any nice cafe here yet,i dont know much about how the stuff goes in Helsinki area but i think Starbucks would be nice,somewhere to spend time when visiting Helsinki :D

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:16 am

about as much as finding a carom table in Hamina :twisted:

AlexInHelsinki

Post by AlexInHelsinki » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:41 am

FIRAT wrote:Well if there would be KFC or domino's pizza,at least there would be somewhere else to go to eat except Hesburger,same comes about Starbucks,havent seen any nice cafe here yet,i dont know much about how the stuff goes in Helsinki area but i think Starbucks would be nice,somewhere to spend time when visiting Helsinki :D
IMHO, KFC and Domino's are disgusting cesspools of grease and dirt which serve subquality junkfood that is exceptionally bad for your health in a trashy atmosphere which attracts homeless people, winos, and junkies. They are hardly comparable to a "nice cafe". At least that has been my experience in the States and in the UK. Maybe I've had the misfortune of walking by some unusually bad KFCs and Domino's...dunno.