Karjalanpiirakka Recipe

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
carolinemaher

Karjalanpiirakka Recipe

Post by carolinemaher » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:31 pm

Anyone have a recipe for these? Success with making them? My daughter loves them but I'd like to try and make some myself as I imagine the ones found in K Market etc. have a bunch of preservatives in them, or not?? I once saw some women at midsummer on Seurasaari making them and they were delicious so different looking than the supermarket versions.
Cheers

Karjalanpiirakka Recipe

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

EP

Re: Karjalanpiirakka Recipe

Post by EP » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Here is the recipe:

http://www.finnguide.fi/finnishrecipes/ ... 7&t=&p=105

They are quite a lot of work. How good they turn out depends how thin and crunchy you manage to roll the dough. I don´t think market pies have preservatives, rye dough stays good for ages even without them.

carolinemaher

Post by carolinemaher » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:46 am

Thanks for the recipe I'll give them a go. I'm surprised that the filling is just rice, I thought there was egg in there too? Just wondering how it sticks together like it does without falling apart, hmm. Yes Cory I imagine they will take a lot of practice to get right, if they are a disaster I will be turning up at yours for a demo :)

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:30 am

carolinemaher wrote:Thanks for the recipe I'll give them a go. I'm surprised that the filling is just rice, I thought there was egg in there too?

There's no egg, but there are slight variations between (home made) recipes, e.g. there can be some barley mixed in with the rice filling. What ofthen separates home made from store bought is the all-rye crust, many store bought ones have a lighter crust with quite a bit of wheat flour in it. Rye crust is IMO what makes a proper Karelian pasty, and serving them warm brushed with melted butter (and nothing else) :)

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:43 pm

carolinemaher wrote:Thanks for the recipe I'll give them a go. I'm surprised that the filling is just rice, I thought there was egg in there too? Just wondering how it sticks together like it does without falling apart, hmm. Yes Cory I imagine they will take a lot of practice to get right, if they are a disaster I will be turning up at yours for a demo :)
Ah, the egg is in the butter. As in, eggbutter. Boil eggs hard, chop into small pieces. Then take some butter, or similar if you prefer something which makes it easier to pretend it is not hugely unhealthy, and mix the set.

How much butter and how much eggs is more or less question of preference. But it has to have lots of egg pieces glued together with butter.

Then, take your freshly baked karelianpiirakka, put nice pile of eggbutter on top and enjoy.

maxxfi

Post by maxxfi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:50 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote: Rye crust is IMO what makes a proper Karelian pasty
I agree. Whatever is the recipe, rye is the keyword for a good Karjalanpiirakka. :thumbsup:
Maxxfi

kay30

Post by kay30 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:12 pm

If you are in/near HKI, Hakaniemi kauppatori sells them on the first floor. They appear to be handmade. In any case, less factory-produced than the ones in K-Market.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:31 pm

You might wonder why they sell those pasta machines without any cutter blades in Finland.... easy = they're for making the karjalanpiirakka dough :lol:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

RA

Post by RA » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:21 am

We embark on this mission at least twice a year with the mother in law at Easter and Christmas and this year promises us a longer session as we have to make loads. But it's usually a fun day especially at the end when we get to finally eat them with OODLES OF BUTTER. One of the kids said of my husband's aunt 'Look, she's making karelian pies just like grandma but in slow motion!' :D
saving chimpanzees is a big hairy deal

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:27 am

Cory wrote:
Pursuivant wrote:You might wonder why they sell those pasta machines without any cutter blades in Finland.... easy = they're for making the karjalanpiirakka dough :lol:
:lol: Are there people who really use those things?
Hell yes.

When you are doing hundreds of those things, it tends to pay off to do it fast. Specially since traditional method requires some practice to do well. Even I, person who finds cooking and baking to be less than thrilling experience, can churn out the dough at good pace with that machine.

And taste does not suffer in the least.

kay30

Post by kay30 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:28 pm

:lol: Are there people who really use those things?
The best KP's I have ever had here in Finland were done by a woman who uses a pasta machine for the dough. They were really light and airy, not like the bricks that some other people make. If I can ever find a used pasta machine, I might buy it and try for myself.

CanuckKiWi

Post by CanuckKiWi » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:43 pm

Thanks for the link! I've been wanting to try my hand at some recipes, but didn't have the patience to translate them from the cooking books we have...

My attempts at cooking result in "ruis bröd" and "kaneli kakor" :roll:

lalah

Post by lalah » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:18 pm

The rice sticks together because it should be "porridge rice" ie arborio rice.

lalah

Post by lalah » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Some people use egg in the filling as well. They beat a couple of eggs into the rice after it has cooled down. Thisd way the filling willl puff up a bit in the oven and make the piirakka look fuller and get's a nice browning on the filling as well. I have tried this and works ok.