Glassware for cooking

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Shazzer

Glassware for cooking

Post by Shazzer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:35 pm

Would anyone be able to let me know where I can find glassware for cooking in Helsinki? This would be an alternative to using Teflon or stainless steel on the stove. Corning ware would also be great. Thank you!

Glassware for cooking

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Glassware for cooking

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:50 pm

What kind of things are you looking for? Pie dishes etc? Most large hypermarkets have those (eg Prisma).

Not sure what you mean by "alternative to stainless steel and Teflon"... I have never seen glassware that goes on the hob :? That sounds very weird to me.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:05 pm

Cory wrote:
penelope wrote:What kind of things are you looking for? Pie dishes etc? Most large hypermarkets have those (eg Prisma).

Not sure what you mean by "alternative to stainless steel and Teflon"... I have never seen glassware that goes on the hob :? That sounds very weird to me.
Yeah, there was (is?) a set of glass stove-top cookware. Maybe it was Corningware? Haven't see it for at least a decade though and don't think I've ever seen it here. Was crap to cook with.
Yeah, my parents had a white glass (like white Pyrex) frying pan in the late 70´s early 80´s and it was crap.

CatNip

Post by CatNip » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:22 am

As a Finn I'm mentally forced to promote Finnish products;)

http://www.arabia.fi/web/Arabiawww.nsf/ ... urs_dishes
http://www.tulikivishop.com/~Nd3Cx00000 ... 4=KASTANJA

These ones you get from most of the biggers supermarkets

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:33 am

But they are not intended for use on the stove (the Iittala and Tulikivi products are oven to table ware) since they are made of ceramic not glass. As far as I know only Pyrex and Corning make the glassware that can be used on a direct source of heat.

The Pyrex / Pyraflam products can be used on the hob (gas, electric etc but not induction)

CatNip

Post by CatNip » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:00 pm

You are right penelope, I was a bit too fast:)

Actually both companies have pots productucts you can use bpth on the stove and oven:

http://www.tulikivi.com/www/TLTuoteU.ns ... FI&id2=AE4
http://www.arabia.fi/web/Arabiawww.nsf/ ... _casserole

At least this Arabia's Kokki pot lasts for genaratios when well kept.
Last edited by CatNip on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:05 pm

Yes, the kokki pot is great, if I find a secondhand one in good condition I might buy one. But they are quite expensive to buy new.
I use a Hackmann (IIttala/Arabia) frying pan on my induction hob and it is really good. The company also has a great after-sales service: they repaired my mum's saucepan lid for free even though it was well over 10 years old!!!

Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Thank you Penelope & Catnip for the links!

Penelope - exactly what I was looking for! While searching thru Amazon, I discovered a 5 litre glass pot with lid which I really liked (it was called Visions) and also a pyraflam steamer. Another quick question - you mentioned induction stove. Does that mean it's the black smooth surface stove without the hot plates? I noticed that in some of the glassware, it's mentioned that it's not suitable for induction stove. Ours is the smooth surface stove :oops: (sorry for not knowing the right term!!)

Catnip - actually in one of the links you sent, there was a Kermansaavi ceramic Hotpot which could go on the stove. Something to consider but wondering if it will scratch my stove top?

I too have had excellent service from Hackman. They replaced an old frying pan when the handle got loose with a completely new one. But now I think I've gone and burnt the bottom of this one....

EP

Post by EP » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:23 pm

Yes, the kokki pot is great, if I find a secondhand one in good condition I might buy one. But they are quite expensive to buy new
Yes maybe, but once purchased they last a life time. Mine is 30+ years old and still as good as new. I expect it to over live me.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:33 pm

Shazzer wrote: Penelope - exactly what I was looking for! While searching thru Amazon, I discovered a 5 litre glass pot with lid which I really liked (it was called Visions)
I have one of those that we sometimes use for soup or stew. We've had it about twenty years. I think they make them blue or purple now, but ours is brown. It's a little slow to heat but otherwise unobjectionable. It makes a great serving or refrigerator vessel for such foods, but of course if you just cooked in it, it's going to be too hot for any of that.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:04 pm

Shazzer wrote:Does that mean it's the black smooth surface stove without the hot plates? I noticed that in some of the glassware, it's mentioned that it's not suitable for induction stove. Ours is the smooth surface stove :oops: (sorry for not knowing the right term!!)
Both ceramic and induction stoves have usually smooth surface, but if you put induction stove on, it wont go hot without some metal. Ceramic stove will go red hot quite fast.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Baldwin

Post by Baldwin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Upphew wrote:
Shazzer wrote:Does that mean it's the black smooth surface stove without the hot plates? I noticed that in some of the glassware, it's mentioned that it's not suitable for induction stove. Ours is the smooth surface stove :oops: (sorry for not knowing the right term!!)
Both ceramic and induction stoves have usually smooth surface, but if you put induction stove on, it wont go hot without some metal. Ceramic stove will go red hot quite fast.
In fact. that's true metal pot on the induction stove produces resistive heating which heats the food.