Coffee in Finland

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
karen

Re: Coffee in Finland

Post by karen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:11 am

I only recently became a coffee drinker and I don't take anything very strong. Several years ago I would regularly visit Hakaniementori and kauppahalli with a friend who enjoyed Ethiopian coffee, which she bought in the kauppahalli. The coffee was stored in glass jars and there seemed to be a nice selection available. I have no idea of brands, origin, etc. Someone who is interested in trying different coffees might want to visit the kauppahalli and see what's available.

I also prefer Wayne's to Robert's. Although I don't drink strong coffee, I do think that a blended coffee beverage should still taste like coffee. Wayne's and I share that ideal. Robert's... not so much.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:42 am

karen wrote:The coffee was stored in glass jars and there seemed to be a nice selection available. I have no idea of brands, origin, etc. Someone who is interested in trying different coffees might want to visit the kauppahalli and see what's available.
Just remember, that coffee don't like light nor air. Coffee has fats -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancidification
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

CAD_Guy

Post by CAD_Guy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:41 pm

You know if I haven't been reading this site for so long I'd be offended by the lack of reading my post properly but I know you guys love to argue and fight. Here's a part of my post you seem to have missed:
It is a matter of taste too. Myself personally I like a smooth coffee not a bitter one and I like it to taste strong. It's all about the beans and the roasting. I personally prefer 100% arabica beans, the bitter tasting ones are robusta beans, there are also blends, which is what most places sell. The thing I can't stand more than anything else is weak coffee. That drives me crazy!]
I know things are a matter of taste what do you think I am stupid or something? (wait don't answer that) :lol:

I've been to Finland in the past and I have moved here with my wife who is half Finnish. I've been enjoying everything I've been eating and having a balling figuring out the grocery stores. You guys are too uptight about everything you need to chill. You take every criticism as an affront to your 'Finnish way of life'. I was offering an opinion take it or leave it.

There are good coffee places in Helsinki that I've been too and I've enjoyed. I was just mentioning that I haven't found anything that was particularly outstanding for 'my' taste. I'm a lover of 100% arabica coffee as I mentioned. Unless you really go for quality coffee you don't appreciate the difference. I just find most Finns probably don't care, if the coffee they serve at home is anything to go by.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:12 pm

CAD_Guy wrote:You take every criticism as an affront to your 'Finnish way of life'. I was offering an opinion take it or leave it.
Ah, but you haven't figured out that one thing: "This is Finland. If you don't like the coffee, take it or leave..." :twisted:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Pursuivant wrote:
CAD_Guy wrote:You take every criticism as an affront to your 'Finnish way of life'. I was offering an opinion take it or leave it.
Ah, but you haven't figured out that one thing: "This is Finland. If you don't like the coffee, take it or leave..." :twisted:
Or... if you don't like the coffee, you buy Italian Coffee, or Danish instant coffee etc. it's all widely available here.
CAD_Guy wrote:I just find most Finns probably don't care, if the coffee they serve at home is anything to go by.
This is true of a great deal of what the locals consume. TBH little importance is attached by most here to quality - the vast majority look for products which are of passable quality with low cost.

Hence Henrik telling us he drinks Lidl coffee at home. Lidl stuff is universally !"#¤%, if only the locals knew that in other countries Lidl products are sold at a fraction of the cost of what they sell for in Finland, they'd understand how cheap and nasty Lidl products really are.

Anyone able to stomach Lidl brands, or even like them, it's a clear indication that you should withdraw graciously from any discussion about taste ... you ain't got any. Or you are in denial about being tight and trying to justify to yourself that you buy it because you like it. You don't.

The local method of serving up stale hot drinks in cafes is another demonstration of the tolerance of low quality fare. A pot of coffee is brewed up then left on those awful hotplate things at the counter until the pot is empty. Dire stuff. Even worse when they try it for tea, it's never going to work as tea stews if you keep heating it.
sammy wrote:It's infinitely more amusing to see how so many people are unable to grasp the fact that tastes may differ from one culture to another :lol:
Whilst true, you surely recognise a two things

1) There's a lot more people out there saying that Finnish coffee is bad, compared to Finns saying foreign coffee is bad - they've got you heavily outnumbered.

2) Finland is hardly overflowing with epicures or gourmands, most people want the combination of low cost and edible. And that's what they become accustomed to.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:09 pm

sinikala wrote:Anyone able to stomach Lidl brands, or even like them, it's a clear indication that you should withdraw graciously from any discussion about taste ... you ain't got any. Or you are in denial about being tight and trying to justify to yourself that you buy it because you like it. You don't.
http://www.iltalehti.fi/hintajalaatu/20 ... 1_l7.shtml
sinikala wrote:1) There's a lot more people out there saying that Finnish coffee is bad, compared to Finns saying foreign coffee is bad - they've got you heavily outnumbered.

2) Finland is hardly overflowing with epicures or gourmands, most people want the combination of low cost and edible. And that's what they become accustomed to.
1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

2) http://www.mtv3.fi/uutiset/ilmiot.shtml ... 01/1038660
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:11 pm

I don't think Finnish coffee is particularly "bad" (as long as it's freshly brewed), but nor do I find it especially outstanding. The main Finnish brands are at least comparable to, or better than, the mainstream brands sold, e.g. in the UK (Kenco, carte noire, etc.). Doesn't say a lot, perhaps :D

sinikala wrote:most people want the combination of low cost and edible

Can't argue with this statement, it's just a fact.

I quite like many Finnish "specialities", but if you're looking at generic products that are available throughout Europe(e.g. coffee, cheese, ham, bread, pie, chocolate, sausage, sweet pastries, etc.), I can only see one that you could say is "better in Finland" than elsewhere. And that is rye bread, nam nam.
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

CAD_Guy

Post by CAD_Guy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:57 pm

Ah, but you haven't figured out that one thing: "This is Finland. If you don't like the coffee, take it or leave..."
Hank you're such a drama queen. :lol: Along with some others you're so much into the don't like it leave attitude. I really like Finland and that says a lot considering where I've lived.
Completely agree with this statement. Of course there are pockets of everything in every culture. I just found it amusing that coffee here in Finland is more about drinking the stuff than liking it. Kind of like how Finns think of alcohol.
I can only see one that you could say is "better in Finland" than elsewhere. And that is rye bread, nam nam.
No arguments here on that one! :D

Cafe culture just hasn't made it to Finland yet. Maybe it will one day. You have to stop liking drip filter coffee first, which is the second worse way to have coffee by the way, the worst being the old percolator way where the coffee is sort of boiled. :shock: I won't even mention instant.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:16 pm

I assume that was supposed to indicate that Lidl coffee is good because three people liked it? Not really convincing, especially when the other brands tested were mostly typical domestic brands. It just suggests then that typical Finnish coffee is worse than Lidl's. (is it really so bad?)
Upphew wrote:
sinikala wrote:1) There's a lot more people out there saying that Finnish coffee is bad, compared to Finns saying foreign coffee is bad - they've got you heavily outnumbered.
2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
Doesn't apply as the matter is subjective. The answer can only be decided by force of numbers. As I wrote, they've got you outnumbered.
Personally, I don't care - all coffee is vile to me, but I hear a lot of Finns saying coffee in Blahblahland is terrible, and plenty of foreigners have said that Finnish coffee is not good (putting it politely).
Upphew wrote:
sinikala wrote:Finland is hardly overflowing with epicures or gourmands, most people want the combination of low cost and edible. And that's what they become accustomed to.
3) http://www.mtv3.fi/uutiset/ilmiot.shtml ... 01/1038660
There are good restaurants here, I didn't say there aren't, but Finland does not have a foodie culture. Compare with France where food is the raison d'être. As already said, generally people here are more interested in price than quality. In some countries it is sacrilegious to even consider a compromise when it comes to quality.

sammy

Post by sammy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:51 pm

sinikala wrote:they've got you heavily outnumbered
Fair enough. Outnumbered, outwitted - the story of me life! This leaves me heartbroken, also perhaps sleepless for a night or two, so I will now console myself by at least pretending I enjoy the awful tea :wink:

Speaking of which, IMO also those tea/coffee hotplate thingies, with their glass jugs, are an invention of Beelzebub. Bleurgh.

CAD_Guy

Post by CAD_Guy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:11 pm

Speaking of which, IMO also those tea/coffee hotplate thingies, with their glass jugs, are an invention of Beelzebub. Bleurgh.
You won't get any disagreement from me! :lol:

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:15 pm

sammy wrote:...Speaking of which, IMO also those tea/coffee hotplate thingies, with their glass jugs, are an invention of Beelzebub. Bleurgh.
Sometimes I make coffee, and sometimes I make tea, but instead of leaving a glass pot on a hot-plate I make the coffee or boil water and then use a thermos, to pour the coffee into directly, or to put either tea bags or a tea ball/infuser in before filling it with hot water.

Works great!

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:09 pm

tuulen wrote: Works great!
I used to do this when working from a home office. Make a full pot in the morning, flask it, and finish it by lunch. It sure works great! :D
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Can't beat the good old Turkish way...

Black Flag kills ants on contact

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Now that looks like a real coffee Bubs