Coffee in Finland

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Pursuivant

Re: Coffee in Finland

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:21 pm

sinikala wrote:Hence Henrik telling us he drinks Lidl coffee at home. Lidl stuff is universally !"#¤%,
As far as cheap instant coffee is concerned, try that S-market X-tra brand instant and then we talk about cheap rotgut. Instant just because I can't be arsed with the filter...

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:45 pm

Karhunkoski wrote:Now that looks like a real coffee Bubs
It's enough to curl yer toes and that's why they wear shoes like....(remember the advert?)

But I'm with you on this...the coffee isn't brilliant here, but it's not that bad...

I got addicted to galao in Portugal (If I remember right). Surfing, galao and a thing that shall be named...pure heaven.
Black Flag kills ants on contact

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:24 pm

Bubba Elvis XIV wrote: .(remember the advert?)

Nope :| Which country, which year?
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Violette

Post by Violette » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:22 pm

I quite like many Finnish "specialities", but if you're looking at generic products that are available throughout Europe(e.g. coffee, cheese, ham, bread, pie, chocolate, sausage, sweet pastries, etc.), I can only see one that you could say is "better in Finland" than elsewhere. And that is rye bread, nam nam.

Oh my gawd Karhu, that's what I miss THE MOST is the rye bread and with generous slices of Lappi juusto and of course cold beer...drools.
Finnish rye doesn't even compare to anything made here in Canada, even by purportedly "Finnish" bakeries.
" Men are like parking spaces; The good ones are taken and the only ones left are handicapped."

Violette

Post by Violette » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:35 pm

On the subject of good coffee...

Well I for one am surprised that Finns make a lousy cup of coffee. I was under the impression that "because" they consumed so much coffee that they preferred a quality cup. Not so it seems, but that's the same everywhere I guess...anyway who has time to make "boiled" coffee anymore?
If I had my choice I would drink either Tim Horton's Coffee (it has been said that they put some sort of addictive ingredient in their brew) or Starbucks. I'm lucky that I get it free...and yes I'm gloating. We used to buy "Kulta Katriina" at Christmas just because... it has that unusual golden brown colour, that I've never noticed in any other coffee, and did I say it's a very smooth brew?
Oh yes... with "light" cream please and two tiny spoonfuls of sugar (or sweetener) Getting lost in warm childhood memories of "korpu kahvetta"

Is it a new generational thing that folks don't take pride in serving their guests the most perfect cup of coffee ? Frankly I'm shocked.
" Men are like parking spaces; The good ones are taken and the only ones left are handicapped."

CAD_Guy

Post by CAD_Guy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:00 pm

Violette you are of course entitled to your opinion of what you think is good coffee.

Coming from Canada I have to say I could never drink Tim Horton's (I tried I really did!), I consider it gut rot, maybe I'm allergic to the additive? There's a Canadian I met recently in Helsinki who's missing it. Starbucks I basically consider bath water for the amount of quality coffee you get in it compared to the amount of milk. You basically need a double shot of the coffee to get any taste then you realise the coffee isn't good to begin with. I feel the same about Second Cup too. IMO

I just came from living in Australia for the last six years and the sad truth is that there are doughnut stores and other small coffee stands in Australia that put Starbucks to shame, which is why they're basically out of business in Australia.

I'm not sure if I've had Kulta Katrina here yet, I may have had it in Australia (there was a Finnish bakery we used to go to). Your description is interesting to say the least... I do enjoy the Paulig Parisien if I were to choose a Finnish store brand of coffee.

The Finnish people I've talked to so far have basically told me they drink what they do because of price and it's 'good enough'. Again going with my statement that Finns drink it to just drink it.

Maybe I'm too picky about my coffee... :? Then again, I rather enjoy what I drink rather than just drink.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:47 pm

Yeah well you then surely drank that stuff thats been through a wildcats arse as well?

CAD_Guy

Post by CAD_Guy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:00 am

Yeah well you then surely drank that stuff thats been through a wildcats arse as well
Nope haven't tried that. I've been curious about it. I just can't get over the imagery though. :lol:

Just to be pedantic, it's a civet cat. :wink:

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:02 am

Pursuivant wrote:Yeah well you then surely drank that stuff thats been through a wildcats arse as well?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

A very strange choice of drink.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:10 am

I had an American friend make "Blue Mountain" but I almost forgot being corteous and returned it saying "I don't drink tea"... you are not supposed to see the spoon in coffee...

anyhoo if you haven't I suggest Stewart Lee Allen's book on coffee "The Devils Cup"... I'm so perv I got it in both eng&fi

BTW having some limey lecture me on coffee is about as if I went to Bringmeham and lectured on "proper" tea - what , no samovars? no butter?

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:48 am

Violette wrote: Is it a new generational thing that folks don't take pride in serving their guests the most perfect cup of coffee ? Frankly I'm shocked.

Hmm perhaps. Certainly in the good old days ( :P ) any Finnish emäntä worth her salt would roll out her best Villerory & Boch (or at least best Arabia :P ), complemented with "guest" cutlery, dainty napkins and the best food/ingredients and pastries that could be found :D Quite a contrast to some people I've known in the UK, who have actually boasted how they managed to cater for a dinner party so cheaply by using cheap, low-quality items :shock:
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:38 am

CAD_Guy wrote:The Finnish people I've talked to so far have basically told me they drink what they do because of price and it's 'good enough'. Again going with my statement that Finns drink it to just drink it.
One word: addiction. Take me off from caffeine and I'm pretty close to be ready to go hospital. Few years back my tummy decided that over 10 cups/day is too much. After going cold turkey, I got so bad headaches that I started to drink tea to keep caffeine levels where they should be. Darker roasts also help as they are not as acidic.
CAD_Guy wrote:Maybe I'm too picky about my coffee... :? Then again, I rather enjoy what I drink rather than just drink.
Coffee is like cars. Some consider them as a hobby, but for most it is just to move from a to b.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

CAD_Guy

Post by CAD_Guy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:00 pm

Coffee is like cars. Some consider them as a hobby, but for most it is just to move from a to b.
That would be me in regards to cars. Though I do appreciate a nice car! (nice being a matter of taste too) I also agree with the addiction thing to caffeine, the headaches only last for about a week if you ever wanted to get off caffeine though I would recommend reducing your intake first!

Violette

Post by Violette » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Violette you are of course entitled to your opinion of what you think is good coffee.

Again it is a matter of taste and what one prefers to drink. Tim Hortens as you know is relatively inexpensive and 9/10 they make a good cup of coffee. I don't know how many Tim's franchises are out there.. but the reason they remain in business is because folks love their coffee.
I mention Starbucks simply because customers can buy different kinds of coffee beans (from around the world) as well as various strengths of coffee. I'm talking "basic" coffee, not your double fudge latte, extra foam and caramel swizzle thingy.
You are no doubt a coffee connoisseur CAD while I'm not. I just like a simple cup of coffee that isn't old, bitter or burnt...

PS don't really care why Starbucks went bust in Australia...thanks tho'
and the additive in Horten's coffee...ummm was a joke..

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:46 pm

Violette wrote:I just like a simple cup of coffee that isn't old, bitter or burnt...
You don't want to admit something like that on this forum...:wink:

Black Flag kills ants on contact