Vietnamese PHO in helsinki?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
krnboijel

Post by krnboijel » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:55 am

Hi!
Im from Seattle, Wa and I moved to Helsinki early last October. Back in the states, I lived in a very diverse city and there were many oriental stores all over the place. One of my favorite foods was Vietnamese Phö and I've been loning to have some for a long time! I have found some Instant Pho packages in the asian market in Hakaniemi, but we all know that its on a completely different league. Does anyone want to help me out on this topic?

Ive tried trolling the forums but only found some very old posts in 2003. Also tried google but to no avail.

:) Pho please!
Pad thai was another of my favorites, and if you have any info on that too mmmh! it would be great. thanks so much :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

EP

Re: Vietnamese PHO in helsinki?

Post by EP » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:46 pm

You get ingredients for Pho and Pad Thai from most of the stores except from the very small ones and maybe ones in the countryside. The only stuff I have skipped are bones. I have just used broth from a cube. But if I would have bothered I could have asked for bones from the meat counter.

raamv

Post by raamv » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:19 am

please dont send me PM . my inbox is always full of messages and I have to delete more to read any relevant ones..

Having said this.. One of the persons is in the process of opening a Vietnamese restaurant in Helsinki and said that he will keep me posted..
Hello raamv,
My name is Phuong. I am an American national born in Hong Kong but Vietnamese by blood. I am in the process of opening an Asian-inspired eatery in Helsinki. I was reading some threads about pho and I see you have a taste for it. I will be offering pho along with some other Vietnamese, Japanese, and Chinese dishes like pork noodles with fish sauce (bun thit heo), Vietnamese-style crepe (banh xeo), chicken teriyaki, udon with beef, peppers, and broccoli, etc. I will keep you posted on the opening and would love to have you come in for a taste of our genuine pho!!!
Lets see if he is able to do it or not..soon..
I am waiting for it and will definitely try this ..
( I used to drive to Turku for Pho )..

Sipowicz

Post by Sipowicz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Nuudeli Ky Nam at Puotila serves excellent PHO.

Jazqas

Post by Jazqas » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:34 pm

raamv wrote:
I am in the process of opening an Asian-inspired eatery in Helsinki. I was reading some threads about pho and I see you have a taste for it. I will be offering pho along with some other Vietnamese, Japanese, and Chinese dishes like pork noodles with fish sauce (bun thit heo), Vietnamese-style crepe (banh xeo),
I am waiting for it and will definitely try this ..
It's been a long time between crepes.... I'd love to know when this is running (preferably before he alters the recipes to suit finnish tastes :( )
Jazqas.

Baldwin

Post by Baldwin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:28 pm

Sipowicz wrote:Nuudeli Ky Nam at Puotila serves excellent PHO.
Haven't tried PHO. I know it has great sushi for a low price. Highly recommended.
Last edited by Baldwin on Fri May 11, 2012 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Salmoriaty

Post by Salmoriaty » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:13 pm

If you do Pho, just do Pho and nothing else. pho takes at least 8 hours to make and is such a subtle dish. This would be great but Nuudeli Ky Nam is really bad once you have had the real thing. It needs all the spices and the subtle flavours. I would be keen on a restaurant though.

sachion

Post by sachion » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:10 pm

krnboijel wrote:Hi!
Im from Seattle, Wa and I moved to Helsinki early last October. Back in the states, I lived in a very diverse city and there were many oriental stores all over the place. One of my favorite foods was Vietnamese Phö and I've been loning to have some for a long time! I have found some Instant Pho packages in the asian market in Hakaniemi, but we all know that its on a completely different league. Does anyone want to help me out on this topic?

Ive tried trolling the forums but only found some very old posts in 2003. Also tried google but to no avail.

:) Pho please!
Pad thai was another of my favorites, and if you have any info on that too mmmh! it would be great. thanks so much :D

Don't know whether you're still in Helsinki or not. If yes, I would like to make Pho and invite you once 'cause I'm Vietnamese. But I know it's not a solution for you for long time :) I don't eat out often so don't know what are a good Vietnamese restaurants to recommend!