Fast food and the Chinese wok

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
darn

Re: Fast food and the Chinese wok

Post by darn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 am

Well every chef has its own secret on cooking. Now i can say that the magical "wok" of our Chinese friends is their secret. I always watch on t.v. how they use the wok in cooking and its amazing really. If only i could have the passion for cooking i think i will be trying this.lol

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:24 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The only problem is in finding a cook stove with a flame HOT enough to cook on, the hotter the better! Electric stoves are not ideal, but woks are made with a flat bottom for use on electric stoves and work reasonably well. My Chinese friends do well at cooking on gas stoves, along with a metal ring to support the wok and keep it from tipping over, but most gas stoves at home can only heat a smaller sized wok. Chinese restaurants use a BIG gas flame, which not only heats the bottom of a wok but can also heat the whole wok, very hot! I heat my home with wood-burning stoves, and my old-fashioned wood-burning cook stove has a lid on the top of the stove which can be removed, exposing the fire, so that a round-bottomed wok can be placed where the lid was, directly over the fire, and that works very well.

jmakinen

Post by jmakinen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:09 am

A pretty good job can be done using a big good non-stick pan too - 26-28 cm - Jamie Oliver type - heavy enough to be able to get hot and stay hot.

Running the stuff around constantly with a wooden spatula works fine -

Overall - good to keep oil at a minimum.

DMC

Post by DMC » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:17 am

tuulen wrote:I heat my home with wood-burning stoves, and my old-fashioned wood-burning cook stove has a lid on the top of the stove which can be removed, exposing the fire, so that a round-bottomed wok can be placed where the lid was, directly over the fire, and that works very well.
Hey, great idea :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Why didn't I think of that? I'll try it.

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:48 am

DMC wrote:
tuulen wrote:I heat my home with wood-burning stoves, and my old-fashioned wood-burning cook stove has a lid on the top of the stove which can be removed, exposing the fire, so that a round-bottomed wok can be placed where the lid was, directly over the fire, and that works very well.
Hey, great idea :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Why didn't I think of that? I'll try it.
A wok will become your #1 cooking pot as it is extremely versatile, along with a cover lid, a steamer rack and a round-bottomed stirring tool.

To clean it, just put a small amount of water in the wok while over the flame and use a brush, but no soap, then drain it and wipe it dry.

And, remember that a good Chinese cook always begins by putting a small amount of water in the hot wok, which prevents oil from burning.

fiona77

Post by fiona77 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:28 pm

"Fast, healthy and tasty!"
:?: :?: :?:
no no no, I would never believe

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:25 pm

1) Chinese wok over HOT fire: TRY THIS ON YOUR WOOD-BURNING STOVE

2) DETAILS OF WOK COOKING (NOTE VARIABLE HEAT OF GAS-BURNING STOVE)

That is REAL Chinese cooking, the way it is done everyday in China.

And yes, that could be done in Finland, too, as a fast and economical way to cook.