American products in Finland?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Riko

Post by Riko » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:57 am

We went to Stockholm last weekend (thanks to the . auction at the last meeting) and wandered into the American store. I've never seen so much junk food in one place. mmmmm junk food. Is it me or is "american food" synonymous with junk food?

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strangely, I am ungrateful to these teachers.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:12 am

Riko wrote:We went to Stockholm last weekend (thanks to the . auction at the last meeting) and wandered into the American store.?
Daah that why I did not get a prize I thought it was a raffle not an auction.. :wink:
He Riko where is that shop...?
There are some yanks who might miss Junk food :wink:
I know where the "The Taste of Britain" is...
On this map it is exactly on the bottom edge south/below the "S" in the word "Stadsholmen" there is a market square and a big glass house/shopping centre..inside there is a Britsih Pub and food shop...they have everything from Marmite to Pakso.. Plus a freezer section with lots of yummy stuff...Walls sausages..steak and kidney pies etc..
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshells/e ... ckholm.htm

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:19 am

The American Store is on Västerlånggatan. Its smack in the old town if you get the bridge over Drottningatan from the Parliament keep right (left is the kings palace) and its the 1st cross street on the right. Left is a funky shop with ponchos and equadorian stuff. (or if you're stumbling from Viking line, just keep on the bloody street and if you are so blind when you get to the parliament turn back)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:45 am

Minna,

::putting my feet up on the table rubbing my belly:: HHHMMMMMMMM good is this Skippy super chunky peanut butter. yum yum yum ::burp:: sorry ;-)

If you get desperate for a fix drop me an e-mail off line and tell me what you go to trade for Kraft being sent your way. ;-)

::grabbing the third slice of bread covered a mile high with peanut butter::

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:47 pm

Paul.....ahhh.....rubbing my tummy after eating slightly melted peanut butter on toast with a glass of ice, cold milk!!!!!! I know the good feeling!!

I may be able to get all the peanut butter I want soon, as I think I've finally come to my senses about Finland and me......just have to stay strong.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

happeningfish

Post by happeningfish » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:42 pm

Well done Minna -- I'm on the last few knifefuls of the Kraft chunky peanut butter my mom sent, and I was too stupid to buy any when I was in Canada last month!

A quick note to the Europeans (including those from the UK, too): your peanut butter, while it may have many merits, will never be able to satisfy tastebuds that grew up on Kraft. C'est la vie.

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:04 am

'ere, 'ere matey...'ere, 'ere :)
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Mai

Post by Mai » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:13 pm

There is some different styles of peanut butter in International food shop close to Sörnäinen station at Hämeentie. Not Kraft tough but they have both chunky and smooth ones (someone asked after chunky style earlier).

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:43 pm

I had four American friends here last week and in Central Finland they had no difficulty in finding American products. We did not carry out a thorough research, but they bought at least many soft drinks and we saw Philadelphia cheese. In Alko next door they could have bought Budweiser, but they said it is awful compared with some European lagers. Karhu was their favourite in Finland.

happeningfish

Doritos Cool Ranch!

Post by happeningfish » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:02 pm

I was at an S-Market the other day and saw Doritos (!) with the flavour "Cool American" or something similar. Same blue bag, I thought, and cool ranch is close to cool american, why not try 'em. They satisfied at least 90% of the Doritos Cool Ranch craving, folks! Wheeee!

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:20 pm

In the health food/allergy aisle of the CM in Vaasa there is peanut butter, an eco version.... but I like Kraft Peanut Butter. It's so easy to spread and it is never dry or oily :lol:

happeningfish

Post by happeningfish » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:48 pm

To be fair, Kraft Peanut Butter is really a bastardization of food -- it's full of icing sugar and salt and whatnot. But it is what it is, and we who grew up on it need it. :) Real peanut butter (the eco, make it yourself kind) is good, but it is to Kraft what Brie is to Cheez Whiz.

Now if only I could find some Cool Whip!

SGaudreau

Post by SGaudreau » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:09 pm

Okay, as much as I hate to admit it, I am an addict to a certain American fake food like substance. When at University, being the poor student that we all are at that point in our lives (unless you have rich parents or a job that pays you more than 2 bucks and hour....i think I am showing my age)..I became addicted to Kraft Mac & Cheese... I also lived on Ramen (sp?) noodles..but not the BRAND name..the cheapo stuff that you could get 10 for a buck or something like that..

Now..having admitted to those transgressions,....I must say..I STILL love Kaft Mac & Cheese...not the noodle stuff anymore (just the sight of it makes my tummy tumble).... is there a locale in HEL that sells the cheesey nirvana I crave or do I have to have my friends smuggle it in when they go on trips to the States?

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:05 pm

Happeningfish, I bought Doritos crisps also, somewhere is Central Finland, and they tasted so awful that I'll never buy them again.

Have you seen the fat lady who "advertises" them?

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:11 pm

Juha H. wrote:Happeningfish, I bought Doritos crisps also, somewhere is Central Finland, and they tasted so awful that I'll never buy them again.

Have you seen the fat lady who "advertises" them?
Agreed, the doritos over here taste like, hmmm, well, they don't, that's the problem...
& nearly all over crisps/chips are variations on th esame theme, cheese & onion :?
The lay's meditteranian onces are quite nice, but I do miss Walkers Ketchup flavoured crisps, and Bovril flavour - the corners of my mouth sting just thinking about them :!: