Lox, bagel and cream cheese

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
sammy

Re: Lox, bagel and cream cheese

Post by sammy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:50 am

tuulen wrote:Finland discovered pizza, but that could be forgotten if Finland finds REAL bagels festooned with lox and cream cheese.
Maybe, but if the USA discovered real Karelian pastries, it would be AWESOME - the world would be saved, a final cure to cancer would be discovered, I would win in the lottery (twice), the Taliban would lay down their weapons, and eternal happiness would reign forever and ever! :D

RobA - the ultimate flute music for me are the Bach sonatas (especially BWV1030) - the combination of harpsichord and flute, two extremes in flexibility so to speak, is irresistible. (That Pahud performance behind the link is just for reference, I haven't heard his versions)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:15 am

jmakinen wrote: Hold the phone - I have MANY times told about finding good things. Good veggies Heino and Lidl. Good olive oil and yoghurt Lidl. Good bread from Pori now sold CM Ruoholahti, Etc etc.

The mentions of crap is to elicit news of where to maybe get the good stuff!!! -
And of course only definition of "good stuff" is if it gets JT or JM mark of approval.
What do we unwashed barbarians know of anything good right?

As for your list of things made "Finnish". I have hard time seeing for example mussels being part of "Finnihs cuisine". They are just imports enough people have been curious enough to try to make importing worthwhile.

Nothing less, nothing more. Their penetration into "Finnish" food is rather superficial.

Your issues in IRL efforts could partially be simply because you refuse to accept that Finns have different preferences. Not superior, not inferior, but different. Or, ok, they are superior in sense that if you do not service Finnish preferences in Finland....

Your business busts. Imagine that.

jmakinen

Post by jmakinen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:16 pm

And of course only definition of "good stuff" is if it gets JT or JM mark of approval.
What do we unwashed barbarians know of anything good right?
OK - everyone back up in the trees. Nopeasti!

Remember Finns were just coming out of caves when Tallinn was a thriving real city.
As for your list of things made "Finnish". I have hard time seeing for example mussels being part of "Finnihs cuisine". They are just imports enough people have been curious enough to try to make importing worthwhile.
Who said mussels were Finnish - but there's a slew of them just down the street in DK
Nothing less, nothing more. Their penetration into "Finnish" food is rather superficial.
Walk down your CM aisles and you will find at least 80% which were not in Finland 40 years ago!
Your issues in IRL efforts could partially be simply because you refuse to accept that Finns have different preferences. Not superior, not inferior, but different. Or, ok, they are superior in sense that if you do not service Finnish preferences in Finland....

]Your business busts. Imagine that.
That was in 1970 - it would be BOOMING today - imagine THAT!

For example - Aseanic Trading - the little shop on III Linja

(LL Enterprise Oy)

4,463,000€ turnover

193,000€ profit

If you want to eat turnips your whole life, be my guest. (I do wonder what cave you have recently emerged from. You seem to have NO idea of what has been going on on the 'food front' in Finland - I appreciate my tone of reply is 'sharp' but I don't feel your message was quite the 'friendliest')

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:52 pm

Rob A. wrote: ...Now here's some flute music with a bit of "spunk" to it....:D

Yeah!

Take THAT, Andrew Lloyd Webber!
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:16 pm

Bagels and Marmite... I should say so!

http://www.economist.com/node/17090924

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:09 am

sammy wrote:
tuulen wrote:Finland discovered pizza, but that could be forgotten if Finland finds REAL bagels festooned with lox and cream cheese.
Maybe, but if the USA discovered real Karelian pastries, it would be AWESOME...
Finland already has lox (lohi) and cream cheese (kermajuusto), and now Finland needs REAL bagels.

And, in addition, Finland needs a word for REAL bagels! Ehkä pakeli?

By Karelian pastries do you mean kalaleipä, or do you have something else in mind?
sammy wrote:RobA - the ultimate flute music for me are the Bach sonatas (especially BWV1030) - the combination of harpsichord and flute, two extremes in flexibility so to speak, is irresistible. (That Pahud performance behind the link is just for reference, I haven't heard his versions)
Yes, the Bach flute sonatas are delightful!

Rob A.

Post by Rob A. » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:44 am

sammy wrote:Maybe, but if the USA discovered real Karelian pastries, it would be AWESOME - the world would be saved, a final cure to cancer would be discovered, I would win in the lottery (twice), the Taliban would lay down their weapons, and eternal happiness would reign forever and ever! :D
:D Naw...not a chance.....karjalanpiirakka munavoin kanssa = mauton ...to the American palate....Now I have an idea.... instead of munavoi how about this!!!

....real Texas-style salsa....a taste sensation.... :D

http://jardinefoods.elsstore.com/view/p ... 4&cid=2871

sammy wrote: RobA - the ultimate flute music for me are the Bach sonatas (especially BWV1030) - the combination of harpsichord and flute, two extremes in flexibility so to speak, is irresistible. (That Pahud performance behind the link is just for reference, I haven't heard his versions)
....and I must say I do find the harpsichord fascinating .... I have a fond memory of a lucky event when I found myself at a loose end for a day in Munich some years ago.... I "stumbled" on the incredible Deutsches Museum....and I was particularly fascinated by the music exhibits....which included a harpsichord recital.... and I see from a Google search they still have harpsichord recitals....(apparently the very first harpsichord ever built is one of their exhibits, though I don't know if it is playable)... Anyway, it really was a mesmerizing experience.....

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:00 am

tuulen wrote:Finland already has lox (lohi) and cream cheese (kermajuusto), and now Finland needs REAL bagels.!
Is that the 3rd or 4th time you´ve written that in this thread?

Salmon sold in Finland is mostly imported from Norway.

kermajuusto in Finland e.g. Oltermanni is a sliceable cheese, a little bit like Jarlsberg or Edam, it is nothing like the spreadable cream cheese served in the USandA on bagels (like Kraft Philadelphia which is available here).

Bagles are IMNSHO a rather crap form of bread, even the ones found in NYC are nothing to write home about.
tuulen wrote:By Karelian pastries do you mean kalaleipä, or do you have something else in mind?
:?: Haven´t you ever visited Finland?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelian_pasties

It´s the first thing Gordon Ramsay tries in this clip...

Rob A.

Post by Rob A. » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:29 am

Rob A. wrote:
sammy wrote:Maybe, but if the USA discovered real Karelian pastries, it would be AWESOME - the world would be saved, a final cure to cancer would be discovered, I would win in the lottery (twice), the Taliban would lay down their weapons, and eternal happiness would reign forever and ever! :D
:D Naw...not a chance.....karjalanpiirakka munavoin kanssa = mauton ...to the American palate....Now I have an idea.... instead of munavoi how about this!!!

....real Texas-style salsa....a taste sensation.... :D
....and, of course, I'm just joking...don't want to start a "food war"... :wink:

...about a year ago, I think it was, I was invited to an Itsenäisyyspäivä juhla....and there was a selection of some delightful suomalaista ruokaa....an interesting pink sauce....I forget what it was called...made with beets I would think....some great pastries and cakes ....and silli ...which I really like....:D

Here's an interesting link to a YLE language teaching site:

http://www.yle.fi/opinportti/supisuomea/03/

....in this clip Finns are talking about their lempiruoka..... Now, how many times do you hear .... makkara...suomalainen makkara ...ja perunamuusi??? ...Gosh, a favourite food!!....What's wrong with my favourite....vegetarian chili with a sauce so hot that it makes your face sweat and totally scours your sinuses??..... :lol:

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:59 am

Rob A. wrote:...about a year ago, I think it was, I was invited to an Itsenäisyyspäivä juhla....and there was a selection of some delightful suomalaista ruokaa....an interesting pink sauce....I forget what it was called...made with beets I would think....
Hmm, “pink sauce”... maybe rosolli (see here) which is often accompanied with gobs of heavy whipping cream, colored pink with beetroot and flavored with vinegar and sugar?

Also known as sillisalaatti (“herring salad”) as it originally contains finely-chopped pieces of Baltic Herring. Some recipes omit the herring while some others replace it with tiny pieces of ground beef. Pieces of hard-boiled egg or grated cheese may be used creatively as decoration on top of the serving bowl. (Rosolli is a traditional condiment on Finnish Christmas table, but there are summer variants too.)
znark

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:22 am

sinikala wrote:...Salmon sold in Finland is mostly imported from Norway.
Tenojoki, Finland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCx1aPclYac

jmakinen

Post by jmakinen » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:33 am

Also known as sillisalaatti (“herring salad”) as it originally contains finely-chopped pieces of Baltic Herring
I believe herring of the Iceland-type is what is used. Both from what I have eaten over many years and everything I now find on Google - maustesilli - sillit - 'Boy' tyoe etc - not silakka
Last edited by jmakinen on Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmakinen

Post by jmakinen » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:36 am

sinikala wrote:
...Salmon sold in Finland is mostly imported from Norway.

Tenojoki, Finland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCx1aPclYac
Yes - available from Lapland - villilohi - but check the price please - about 4-6-8 times the pric3e of the salmon from Norway. I would venture 90+% of salmon eaten in Finland is not 'Finnish'

Also available from the Finnish Baltic in some quantity - but again check the price.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:58 am

jmakinen wrote:OK - everyone back up in the trees. Nopeasti!

Remember Finns were just coming out of caves when Tallinn was a thriving real city.
Yeah, and fat good it did to them in the long run eh?
Who is the "big brother" today?
Who said mussels were Finnish - but there's a slew of them just down the street in DK
You are the guy trying to tell how things must be brought here. Like those mushrooms. You are so thick you are missing stuff which is native to Finland and in many cases can be superior to your "fancy" products.
Cultivated mushrooms < chanterelles.

You just came to Finland eyes closed, certain of your own backgrounds absolute superiority and apparently never once bothered to look what natives had already found to be good in their own view.
Walk down your CM aisles and you will find at least 80% which were not in Finland 40 years ago!
Yeah, because 40 years ago there was no resources to keep marginal products in the shelves in faint hope someone buys it.
And people were used to making most of their food from raw materials. No ready prepared chicken slices.
That was in 1970 - it would be BOOMING today - imagine THAT!
So basically you haven't got a clue on what is current preference of Finns. Tastes change, but you were too thick to figure out that your idea was not compatible with Finnish taste. But ultimately, every thai/chinese/whatever restaurant still has to adjust "real" recipes to fit local preference.

Take pizza. "Real and original" pizzeria with only "the one true pizza" (IE, only tomato sauce on top, unless you want to be heretical and add cheese too) would be...
Abysmal failure.
If you want to eat turnips your whole life, be my guest. (I do wonder what cave you have recently emerged from. You seem to have NO idea of what has been going on on the 'food front' in Finland - I appreciate my tone of reply is 'sharp' but I don't feel your message was quite the 'friendliest')
You are an arrogant ass who thinks he is God's gift to Finland and that we unwashed natives should be on our knees thanking you for trying to "civilize us". Is it any wonder that you failed in your business and your reception amongst the natives is less than friendly?

Rob A.

Post by Rob A. » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:32 pm

:D

I have a strong suspicion that "j.makinen" is our old friend, "janiheis" who made regular appearances under that "nick"...and others... a couple of years ago. "Janiheis" made some interesting points and had some interesting points of view....but he rather "sucked" at "delivering" his message.... :lol:

Do a search using "janiheis" as a keyword and see what you think....
Last edited by Rob A. on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.