CONDENSED MILK: where its sold

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
luckynora

Post by luckynora » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:52 am

Hey everyone. I have been living in Tampere for over a year now. I have soo many recipes in mind that require condensed milk in a can, but I just cant find it anywhere. I have looked in Lidl, prisma, valintatalo, sokos and city market. It is nowhere to be found :( Someone please help direct me.

Would really appreciate it.
Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Re: CONDENSED MILK: where its sold

Post by Jukka Aho » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:53 pm

luckynora wrote:Hey everyone. I have been living in Tampere for over a year now. I have soo many recipes in mind that require condensed milk in a can, but I just cant find it anywhere. I have looked in Lidl, prisma, valintatalo, sokos and city market. It is nowhere to be found :( Someone please help direct me.
Here’s a Finnish discussion thread on condensed milk. Apparently people have found it in ethnic stores. Two varieties are mentioned: one by Nestlé, another a Russian product with the text “Moloko” (or “Молоко”?) on the side of the can. Saiturinpörssi has also carried it but they do not have stores in Tampere.
znark

jas_rho

Post by jas_rho » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:53 am

Jukka Aho wrote:
luckynora wrote:Hey everyone. I have been living in Tampere for over a year now. I have soo many recipes in mind that require condensed milk in a can, but I just cant find it anywhere. I have looked in Lidl, prisma, valintatalo, sokos and city market. It is nowhere to be found :( Someone please help direct me.
Here’s a Finnish discussion thread on condensed milk. Apparently people have found it in ethnic stores. Two varieties are mentioned: one by Nestlé, another a Russian product with the text “Moloko” (or “Молоко”?) on the side of the can. Saiturinpörssi has also carried it but they do not have stores in Tampere.
I know they sell the russian brand at Stockmann's in Tampere. And I am pretty sure it can be found in Citymarket as well. I used to live in Tampere have have bought it from Stockmann's and now live in Kirkkonummi and have bought it from Citymarket there and in Espoo.

karen

Post by karen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:14 am

Check the Asian shops. The price will be half what you would pay in those other places.

CanuckKiWi

Post by CanuckKiWi » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:18 pm

Hey there! I've found it in S Market, but it's often lumped in the "TexMex" aisle, along with the Asian ingredients. Ingredients haven't been as much of a problem as I expected!

MagicJ

Post by MagicJ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:33 pm

I bought some in K market Kamppi i was in a rush so can't remember exactly but it was about 4th row from the back on the drinks side of the shop, 2 brands were available at about €2.60 and €3.50, it's also in K market in Munkkivuori (next to the coconut milk) and was about €1.80 there :D
ImageImage

Cloudberry

Post by Cloudberry » Mon May 02, 2011 6:58 pm

We have it in our local Prisma - it's right near the Indian curry pastes which I thought was an interesting place to put it. I suppose they think only Indians are using it for sweets?
The person on top of the mountain didn't just fall there.

puffy

Post by puffy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:26 am

I live in Oulu, i can buy it from asian shop and Tokkmanni as well.

smokedsalmon

Post by smokedsalmon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:27 pm

its available in Prima Sello. Found it in the section with Thai and Mediterranean stuff.

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:46 am

Yes, I've see it in Sello. It was quite unusual to find it in spices section. Perhaps, according to the logic of local management, a condensed milk is not milk anymore :ochesey:
Image Image

CH

Post by CH » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:04 pm

Oombongo wrote:Yes, I've see it in Sello. It was quite unusual to find it in spices section. Perhaps, according to the logic of local management, a condensed milk is not milk anymore :ochesey:
Well... condenced milk is not something used in ordinary cooking here, so it is probably quite a problem of where to put it. Compare it, for instance, with powdered milk, which is often found in the flour isle (flour... powdered milk... see the thought here? Yeah... it's usually the third or fourth isle I finally check for the damed thing!!!). The thought behind the spices section is that it is most often used here in baking or desserts, when someone has found a recipe on the Internet. :)

The milk here would be in the cold cabinet, so not there. The milk that is UHT treated is usually on a shelf nearby, so that could be one place, but the packaging is a bit different... of course next to the powdered milk, but that is usually in the "all things powdered and flour" section, so the liquid stuff in a tin is a bit off, there too... hmm... where to put it, where to put it... Oh, yes... in the "all those foreign bottled stuff section" (that's where it also often resides).