Sunflower seed pesto?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Olga

Sunflower seed pesto?

Post by Olga » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi!

Does anybody know where I could buy sunflower seed pesto in Helsinki metropolitan area? My daughter is heavily allergic to nuts, and in order to avoid contamination, we have to make separate food for her, even if it is oven-baked, we separate it with alu foil.

I would love to make this pesto myself (yeah, google has recipes), but since we don't usually need more than 2-3 tablespoons at a time, it makes no sense.

Sunflower seed pesto?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

CH

Re: Sunflower seed pesto?

Post by CH » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:41 am

I haven't seen any made with sunflower seed, but wouldn't pesto done with pine nuts work, as pine nuts really aren't nuts but seeds from pines? Some of the pestos only use pine nuts, although most use (only or partly) nuts like cashew, as they are cheaper.

If I don't remember totally wrong, pesto should freeze pretty well. Just make a batch and freeze into ice cubes.

navya

Post by navya » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:01 pm

hmm...

I also never seeds the sunflower...
But i read an article and see the documentary.

Olga

Post by Olga » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:51 pm

CH, you were right that pine nuts are of different type than normal nuts. My daughter tolerates coconut and peanut, and today she didn't give any problems on pine nuts. Now the question is where to get cashew-free pesto. Also I wouldn't like it to have potato starch, which is added to cheaper pesto types.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:52 pm

It is really so easy to make... and you will know it is safe. I am mum to a child who has had severe allergy problems and I have always made everything from scratch for him, just for the peace of mind (and of course it is way cheaper to make your own). Get yourself a very small blitzer/liquidizer machine (I think I got mine from Lidl, but Gigantti and Kodin Ykkonen or Anttila have them too).

You can buy both sunflower seeds (hulled) and pine nuts in almost any supermarket.

http://kotiliesi.fi/ruoka/reseptit/pesto
http://vegaanikahvila.blogspot.com/2010 ... ummus.html