A Finnish Christmas

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
423march

A Finnish Christmas

Post by 423march » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:40 am

Hello, quite a bit early but Season's Greetings.
I'm looking for ideas/must does for Christmas!

I'm an exchange student living in the Helsinki area, unfortunately staying for only 1 year. Since we don't really celebrate Christmas in Japan (and because it costs too much to fly back), I'm looking into spending Christmas/New Years here. I'm not too bright on the 'proper' Christmas at all, which is why I'm asking here, to hopefully get some help from people before I do anything wrong and/or offensive ;)

I've noticed many 'Christmas parties' held around early December and Christmas markets (possibly for tourists?) going on in various places, but not on the 25th.

I'm not sure what the Finnish/Western normality is, but in Japan where I believe we value New Years like the Western Christmas, New Years is usually spent at home with family, or at a shrine/temple. The former option, I do have a several Finnish friends - but it would be down right rude to ask to join a family's New Years in Japan, so I'm assuming the same in European Christmas. The latter option, I have no problems with going to any religious facility (with respect, of course), but I'm not sure if Church events are open to non-Christians, nor if they even do anything on Christmas that is OK for anyone to join.

I'm well interested in Classical music, kansanmusiikki/tanhu, ballets, operas, art galleries, theatre and such, but not so much in pubs/clubs/discos etc, although I am willing to try anything :D
And I am up to traveling within Finland as well :lightbulb:

It would be wonderful to hear ideas and experiences!
Thank you in advance!

A Finnish Christmas

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hpslm

Re: A Finnish Christmas

Post by Hpslm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:40 pm

We Finns tend to have our celebrations on the eves of things, so here too the 24th. The 25th is then the day of not much happening besides eating.

I am pretty sure that among your native friends there are ones that would gladly "rescue" you from a solitary Christmas. I do, however, totally agree with your take of respect and it being rude to ask to be invited. Christmas is heavily family-orientated celebration in Finland and can be easily one of the few times parents and children are all together during the year. Thus it is polite to respect if they want spend it together.

I would advice that you talk about Christmas with your friends and ask from them recommendations what to do. They might not realise that you're not going anywhere/are interested in the occasion and someone would be glad to take you to experience traditional Christmas. Just make sure that you do not put them in a situation where they feel they should invite you as that indeed would be rude in most cases. In my own experience, miscommunication tends to be most common reason why people don't get invited/don't go things. Someone assumes or understands wrong. :]

Going to a Christmas Service in a church is more a tradition and cultural thing than actual religious practice. Appreciating hearing a beautiful song sang does not require any belief. It is not much a social gathering but you're welcome to any such service. There are non-Christian Finns in every such service of that popularity. Like me if someone from my Family wants to go.

Finland is essentially closed during Christmas Eve and Day. However, living in the Helsinki Area I am sure you could program your day with enough happenings to have stuff to do. I would suggest though that you start talking about it with your friends. Maybe some are from the countryside and have bigger home houses there etc.

magenta22

Post by magenta22 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:12 pm

We usually spend it with family - in Finland on 24 December we go to see joulupukki visit the children. Then back to family host for big eatings :-D Then we have drinks before opening presents, then more drinks :-D 25 December is eating leftovers and usually we go our for a walk somewhere.

That said we must get the flights booked soon or it will be Christmas in the UK :o

onkko

Post by onkko » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:17 pm

423march wrote: I have no problems with going to any religious facility (with respect, of course), but I'm not sure if Church events are open to non-Christians, nor if they even do anything on Christmas that is OK for anyone to join
Church is always open to anyone and they dont ask your beliefs. You can be satan worshipper and still youre welcome in church :)

Main thing in christmas is food and gathering, youre right on that its family thing. I hope that you find a friend who can add you in.
Its rare that people go to church in christmas, atleast in where i live. Well going to church is rare, were heathens :D

To celebrate cristmas, main thing is ham and then all kind of "boxes" and of course salt fish. Christmas tree (stolen from others forest :D ) is nice to have and mandatory if you have kids. Santa is nice (yes thats your uncle who werent there when santa were) to have and mandatory if you have kids. Whole celebration is about kids and food.

Mainly christmas is about relaxing and being with your family and eating well.
Think about whole nation bowing and saying "arigato" about last year, year is gone and we are looking for next :)
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

423march

Post by 423march » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Thank you for so many replies and all the advice :D

> Hpslm
I'll definitely try talking with my friends about this :)
And if I may ask, is the Christmas service also held on eve, or is this done on the 25th?
Hpslm wrote:In my own experience, miscommunication tends to be most common reason why people don't get invited/don't go things.
I've been told so many times that I need to speak up more, and I think I can recall more than one instance where I was in this exact situation.
I'm grateful you pointed it out, so I can actually keep it in my mind and try a bit more to express my thoughts... but I will be careful so that I won't be impolite.
Thanks again!

> magenta22
Oh yes, Christmas is already so close in the flight management calenders.
The drink and more drinks part made me smile, that sounds so much like what I hear to be a typical Finn :)
This Finnish Christmas sounds much more fun than our New Years in the standpoint of the children ;)
Thank you, and I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas in Finland!

> onkko
I see, now I don't have to feel myself as the intimidated tourist every time I enter a church :D
By 'boxes,' do you mean presents? Or is this a box with some sort of food in it? And am I right on assuming salt fish to be graavikala?
I'm sorry I lack all of this common sense...

By the ways, a Japanese New Year is full of quite random rituals and traditions to pray for safety and good luck in the coming year, and family gatherings aren't always relaxing but can often be somewhat harassing. So much for tradition! ;)

Thank you for the appetizing examples! I'm already looking forwards to go find them in the markets or in recipes.

EP

Post by EP » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:06 pm

And if I may ask, is the Christmas service also held on eve, or is this done on the 25th?
Both 24th and 25th, and several services. Christmas service is something traditional, something "people have always done", it doesn´t have to have anything to do with religion, more commonly it is atmosphere that people seek. You have to check the times of the church you want to attend, they vary. And a word of warning: churches are full. Last Christmas we could not get in to the service we wanted to attend. The next one would have been two hours later, but for us that was already too late (it was already Santa Claus/Joulupukki time for children).
By 'boxes,' do you mean presents? Or is this a box with some sort of food in it? And am I right on assuming salt fish to be graavikala?
By "boxes" he means casseroles, they are just called "laatikko" (box) in Finnish. Different vegetable casseroles, usually potato/carrot/rutabaga. "Salt fish" is graavikala, but also different herring dishes. BTW not everybody eats ham, for example our main dish is reindeer filet.

EP

Post by EP » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:11 pm

One fun thing to do on Christmas Eve is Santa Claus Spotting. He usually comes in person to bring the gifts, so between 4 in the afternoon and 7 you can take a walk and count how many busy Santas you can spot. Of course it depends on where you live.

Hpslm

Post by Hpslm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:25 pm

423march wrote:Thank you for so many replies and all the advice :D
You're welcome. Glad that I could help.
423march wrote: I'll definitely try talking with my friends about this :)
Both. I think closer at the end of the evening on the 24th and during morning of the 25th. But the better concerts etc. happen earlier during December. But even walking at the cemeteries during eve/Day with candles lit near most graves and in Helsinki the generals' honor guard at Mannerheim's grave in Hietaniemi graveyard are worth seeing.
423march wrote: I've been told so many times that I need to speak up more, and I think I can recall more than one instance where I was in this exact situation.
I'm grateful you pointed it out, so I can actually keep it in my mind and try a bit more to express my thoughts... but I will be careful so that I won't be impolite.
Thanks again!
That's okay, I said that because in my experience of meeting japanese high school exchange students, thinking that we both understood each other on something was the most common problem. So don't be afraid to be a bit impolite, say that you didn't understand something or double check if the other one understood what you meant and slowly start probing your friends. :] I mean, someone of them could have already thought if you liked to be invited but is thinking that you're not interested in.

onkko

Post by onkko » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:30 pm

EP wrote: By "boxes" he means casseroles, they are just called "laatikko" (box) in Finnish. Different vegetable casseroles, usually potato/carrot/rutabaga. "Salt fish" is graavikala, but also different herring dishes. BTW not everybody eats ham, for example our main dish is reindeer filet.
Yes, casseroles. Im not friend of graavikala so i go with salted salmon and such. Japanese with their sushi shouldnt have problem to eat that :)
And no ham! no ham!!! heathen! Last winter i ate 5kg ham alone and i cant think christmas withouth it :twisted:

AnnikaL

Post by AnnikaL » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:05 pm

onkko wrote:
EP wrote: By "boxes" he means casseroles, they are just called "laatikko" (box) in Finnish. Different vegetable casseroles, usually potato/carrot/rutabaga. "Salt fish" is graavikala, but also different herring dishes. BTW not everybody eats ham, for example our main dish is reindeer filet.
Yes, casseroles. Im not friend of graavikala so i go with salted salmon and such. Japanese with their sushi shouldnt have problem to eat that :)
And no ham! no ham!!! heathen! Last winter i ate 5kg ham alone and i cant think christmas withouth it :twisted:
I agree, I've had kinkku every single christmas eve of my life and I don't even live in Finland!

Followed by a kinkku-wich every day for about a week.

In fact, it's fair to say by the time christmas is over I never want to see another ham for at least a year...

Swede casserole I could do without, but leaving it is not an option, I'm watched like a hawk.
Image Image
Hämä-hämähäkki kiipes langalle

onkko

Post by onkko » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:38 pm

AnnikaL wrote:
onkko wrote:
I agree, I've had kinkku every single christmas eve of my life and I don't even live in Finland!

Followed by a kinkku-wich every day for about a week.

In fact, it's fair to say by the time christmas is over I never want to see another ham for at least a year...

Swede casserole I could do without, but leaving it is not an option, I'm watched like a hawk.
Lanttulaatikko is food of gods, thats if you have it with ham and such and in christmas :)
I cant think cristmas withouth it, or withouth any other casseroles what are part of it.
Its like good meal withouth potatoes, unthinkable ;)

AnnikaL

Post by AnnikaL » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:50 pm

onkko wrote: Lanttulaatikko is food of gods, thats if you have it with ham and such and in christmas :)
I cant think cristmas withouth it, or withouth any other casseroles what are part of it.
Its like good meal withouth potatoes, unthinkable ;)
I agree that Christmas wouldn't be the same without being forced to eat some - I suppose I have even grown to quite like it (in very small quantities) over the years. Mind you, I always have double portions of the rossoli that we have for a starter so by the time we're onto the main course I'm not that hungry :)
Image Image
Hämä-hämähäkki kiipes langalle

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:17 am

It is more different in Catholic and Orthodox church they have "midnight mass" at Christmas 24th, The Lutherans go to "joulukirkko" in the morning on 25th. On the "Eve" the Finns traditionally set the table, go to sauna, eat, have santa visit, and then leave the table full set and go visit the graveyard at midnight and bring candles. (while the family is away the spirits will come eat)

the 25-28th is "nothing happening" & "double sunday" so dont plan doing anything or going anywhere, nothing works, goes, or is open.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:47 am

423march wrote: which is why I'm asking here, to hopefully get some help from people before I do anything wrong and/or offensive
You have no problem. The Finns know they would be the craziest people of the world, if there wasnt the Japanese. :lol:

Japanese normal makes Finnish crazy look normal

We know where the otaku got the hairstyle :ochesey:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

onkko

Post by onkko » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:40 am

Other not so well known info is that beloved moomin videos were done in japan by their anime animators. Tanoshii Mūmin Ikka aka muumilaakson tarinoita is produced in japan and so is Muumipeikko ja pyrstötähti movie (楽しいムーミン一家 ムーミン谷の彗星) :)
Dont take me wrong, moomin is 100% finnish but seems that japanese can capture and animate what it is :)

Thank you for causing nightmares to me! Scary !"#¤%.