Cheap Breadmakers at Myyrmäki!

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Sara

Post by Sara » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:03 pm

Citymarket in Myyrmanni has the Chef breadmaker on offer for €29.95, usual price is €74.90. Offer until Saturday.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Frypan

Post by Frypan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:39 pm

Can anyone give advice on whether a breadmaker is worth buying? I've had a few friends who seem to use it once or twice and then never again. What are the economics of it? Which flour and stuff do you use in Finland, where do you get it?

p.s. i think this model is 59euros now at citymarket. The baking pan looks tiny.

--fry
Image Miksi leivänpaahtimissa on asetus, jolla leivän saa palaneeksi korpuksi, ettei sitä kukaan syö?

Frypan

Post by Frypan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:50 pm

More about the money side of things - what does it cost to make a loaf? I was thinking you needed special flour and stuff. What type of flour do you use?

--Fry
Image Miksi leivänpaahtimissa on asetus, jolla leivän saa palaneeksi korpuksi, ettei sitä kukaan syö?

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:43 pm

I think that frypan is right though.... the loaf pan is a wierd shape and very small, my kids eat that much bread in one sitting.... I would have to have the machine going all day every day to feed us. And the machine takes up space in the kitchen. I'm still not 100% convinced, but I have been thinking of buying one for a while. The kids like helping to make bread (they are better at kneading than I am) and I can put two huge loaves and a tray full of rolls in the oven in one go. What might decide me is if I could get a good choice of organic flour at a reasonable price... that would definitely be cheaper than buying organic bread.

Frypan

Post by Frypan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:47 pm

Thanks for the info!

--fry

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:09 pm

penelope wrote:I think that frypan is right though.... the loaf pan is a wierd shape and very small, my kids eat that much bread in one sitting....
Yeah but you've three boys, right? I know what you mean as I've three little Tazmanian Devils, too! And although they are quite a bit younger than yours, I belive, sometimes the amount of stuff they CAN put away in one sitting is amazing (IF they choose to, that is...)! I dread to think how on earth I'll shop when they're in their teens... :shock: :lol: :lol:
"Sitaatti on älyn säihkyvä korvike" (Jukka Virtanen)

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:56 pm

Cory,
How long does it take from start to finish to make a 2 lb loaf????
Also does yours have the possibility to let it roll over night so the bread is ready when you wake up?
Can you use fresh yeast?

How robust are these machines? If I used one every day, how long before it blows a fuse and sets fire to the house :wink: ?

I'm really tempted because going to the store to buy bread every day is a chore and storing bread in the freezer is a waste of space (and this is hunting season now...) How big is your 2lb machine in inches or centimeters?

PS: Strawberry : my kids eat more in a sitting than I do in a whole week - my food bills are becoming a joke. I'm determined not to resort to prepared/convenience food (we have allergies etc etc) but there are days when my whole life happens in the kitchen.... I guess I cook because I really enjoy it but..... shopping is hell. In France I could buy on the internet and have everything delivered in the evening after work - know any stores that do that here?

Frypan

Post by Frypan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:04 pm

And what about noise? If I'm in a student apartment, is the idea of the fresh bread in the morning in vain - will the kneading wake up my roommate?

--fry

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:49 pm

penelope wrote:PS: Strawberry : my kids eat more in a sitting than I do in a whole week - my food bills are becoming a joke. I'm determined not to resort to prepared/convenience food (we have allergies etc etc) but there are days when my whole life happens in the kitchen.... I guess I cook because I really enjoy it but..... shopping is hell. In France I could buy on the internet and have everything delivered in the evening after work - know any stores that do that here?
Allergies, too?? Tell me about it... :( It must be their Finnish genes, sorry... :wink:

Yeah, I've grown to HATE shopping... BUT! I know of at least two places that deliver, so help MAY be at hand... :D There is something called the Ruokavarasto (may be http://www.ruokavarasto.net, but please check), they deliver for a fairly small fee, not quite sure about the delivery times, though. Now, from them, I wouldn't necessarily expect the quality of produce you may be accustomed to... :? However, my sister uses them and has been kind of satisfied... So, worth a try at least for the bulkier stuff?

The other more reliable and hence more costly option is Stockmann's! Now, I believe for the delivery service you need their loyalty card and if you don't already have one, it may well be worth thinking about... I mean, Stockmann's do do "own brand names", too, like the "Eldorado" (just bought some inexpensive Eldorado millet flakes from them!) so if you do a bit of home work it might work out a treat in the end! You do have Stockmann at Tapiola, right? But, check their website, you'll get more info there (I'd think in English, too...) However, they do charge IIRC around 20€/delivery, so... But, for that price they'll bring a TRUCKload if need be! We used it at Christmas a couple of years back when my youngest was just a month old and it was grrreat! Hey, maybe you have neighbours who'd be interested in joint deliveries??

Anyways, it may well be worth asking around: SOME more independent stores do have their own delivery service, my Mum has a big K-Market closeby in Vantaa who deliver, so you never know?

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:55 pm

a bit late intot he thread but...
My sister, lives in the UK where bread is at least ½ the price (and ¼ the quality...) uses a bread maker every day - she says it's cheaper, better and you have nice warm fresh bread every morning. Hmmmmmm (where's the drooling emoticon?) Beats toasted ISO any day !

Ectomorph

Post by Ectomorph » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:02 pm

Having just been given a breadmaker as a leaving present from my work colleagues, I thought I'd chip in on this thread. Just a few questions:

i) what is piima that keeps being referred to?
ii) does anyone have any Finnish bread recipes. I especially remember the cardomom bread from my numerous visits to Finland and was wondering if there is a recipe for a breadmaker version somewhere.

I have a friend who was bought a machine for a wedding present and has never looked back! I think he might be divorcing his wife soon because her bread could not match that of the machine (just joking)! He is an "experimental baker" and has come up with some weird and wonderful types of bread.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:11 pm

piima.... some kind of fermented milk product. I HATE the taste but it is probably quite good in bread making (my problem is I have a child who is severly allergic to milk).

I've decided I'm probably going to buy a machine too, keep looking on huuto.net for a big one. If anyone is selling a breadmaker.... just PM me!

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:14 pm

beer is good as well. Just use the same amount of beer as you would for water/milk, and you do not have to use yeast. The baking does away with most of the alcohol, so yer kids & grandma won't be singin' in the sauna ...

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:08 pm

Thanks for the tip I will try with the soja milk... I quite like the grainy taste of soja, I've even made quiches etc with soja cream and they work quite well. Sometimes though soja just doesn't work... like pancakes never seem so good.

I am off to the UK on Wednesday and will check out the bread machines but I guess they weigh alot.... not sure I will have room for one in my baggage allowance.

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:49 am

penelope wrote:Thanks for the tip I will try with the soja milk... I quite like the grainy taste of soja, I've even made quiches etc with soja cream and they work quite well. Sometimes though soja just doesn't work... like pancakes never seem so good.
Soya milk's nutritional value is better but as for pure taste I find Rice Dream the best and substitute milk with that usually. Of course it's just pure rice so only carbohydrates... :? I use the calcium-enriched variety, though, but of course you can get calcium out of a jar as well. :wink:

As for substitute cream in cooking, Penelope, do try the Beneviva range! If your child hasn't got other severe allergies on the side (mine is unfortunately allergic to both milk and domestic cereals...) the Beneviva "cream" is really the bee's knees for casseroles etc. and of course for quiches and such like, too! It really is like the real thing, you cannot notice a difference! It's oat based. The Beneviva range also includes things like ready vanilla sauce (custard-type), which can be whipped, too, if I remember correctly and you can get Beneviva ice cream also. Of course soya ice cream (Tofu) is an excellent substitute as well if there is no soya allergy.