is 10 kg of stones sufficient?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Jukka Aho

Re: is 10 kg of stones sufficient?

Post by Jukka Aho » Tue May 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Karhunkoski wrote:And if the logistics of moving a large weight of stones is a PITA, then maybe consider an alternative. I know of two saunas here that use old ceramic electricity insulators in place of the traditional stones.
I think my family has just used any old beach stones/pebbles/rocks gathered from wherever. Yeah, there are recommended mineral types to use but as long as they aren’t overly porous or structurally weak and susceptible to erosion or release foul-smelling toxic fumes, they’re good to go. (The linked company touts their stones are, among other virtues, “easy to install”. Well sure they are: they’re pieces of rock in a cardboard box! How hard could it be?)

znark

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Tue May 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Hilarious link Jukka :D :thumbsup:

Especially liked the part where they suggest changing stones annually, and that you can save the incremental cost "many times over" :shock:
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Fri May 18, 2012 2:06 am

Karhunkoski wrote:Hilarious link Jukka :D :thumbsup:

Especially liked the part where they suggest changing stones annually, and that you can save the incremental cost "many times over" :shock:
:lol:

In my situation, first a box of Finnish rocks must be purchased, and then the box of rocks must go from Finland to USA.

Who could imagine my cost for a box of Finnish rocks?

But I use only Finnish rocks, as that is what Harvia tells me to use.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:48 pm

tuulen wrote:
Karhunkoski wrote:Hilarious link Jukka :D :thumbsup:

In my situation, first a box of Finnish rocks must be purchased, and then the box of rocks must go from Finland to USA.

Who could imagine my cost for a box of Finnish rocks?

But I use only Finnish rocks, as that is what Harvia tells me to use.
Well, main difference (as long as there is nothing nasty coming out of them when heated) between rock and rock are durability and heat retaining ability.

Usually heavier material is better, as they can store up more heat in them before cooling off completely. Takes some stress off the heater if it does not have to get stones hot again after every scoop.

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:59 am

Tiwaz wrote:Well, main difference (as long as there is nothing nasty coming out of them when heated) between rock and rock are durability and heat retaining ability.
That is why I use only Finnish rocks, as Finland knows which rocks are "safe" to use at the high temperatures of a sauna room.

Apparently "volcanic" rocks are appropriate, but I use only Finnish volcanic rocks, just to be sure that I use only the "right" rocks.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:05 am

tuulen wrote:
Tiwaz wrote:Well, main difference (as long as there is nothing nasty coming out of them when heated) between rock and rock are durability and heat retaining ability.
That is why I use only Finnish rocks, as Finland knows which rocks are "safe" to use at the high temperatures of a sauna room.

Apparently "volcanic" rocks are appropriate, but I use only Finnish volcanic rocks, just to be sure that I use only the "right" rocks.
Most rocks without any mineral deposits should be safe AFAIK. Stuff like sulphur etc would be the things you do not want in your rocks.

If you can find something called olivinediabase near you, it fits sauna just fine. Same with soapstone. Should be available in US too.

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Tiwaz wrote:Most rocks without any mineral deposits should be safe AFAIK. Stuff like sulphur etc would be the things you do not want in your rocks.

Finnish rocks are expensive. But Finnish rocks are safe to use. That way my sauna does not become a safety-testing laboratory.

I use Harvia rocks in my Harvia stove, and all goes well. Kiitos, Harvia!

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:23 pm

tuulen wrote:I use Harvia rocks in my Harvia stove, and all goes well. Kiitos, Harvia!
By the way: how’s your sauna project going, Tuulen? Already rocking and rolling?
znark

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:44 am

Jukka Aho wrote:
tuulen wrote:I use Harvia rocks in my Harvia stove, and all goes well. Kiitos, Harvia!
By the way: how’s your sauna project going, Tuulen? Already rocking and rolling?
I got the stove last year, a Harvia 50 complete with rocks, a big and potentially very powerful stove. Be careful!!! But it is a totally wonderful stove. Perfect!

With thanks to your input, Jukka, I designed a three-room sauna, for the minimum heating capacity of the Harvia stove. The "dry room" has a "kitchen" stove, too, for hot water, etc.

I installed slightly oversized sauna room ventilation, but it is completely adjustable, and now I am learning about the correct amount of sauna room ventilation.

I fire the stove slowly, burning wood, and it takes about 2 hours to heat the rocks and the sauna room. Unfortunately there is no lake here, but a gravity-supply shower works.

There is no electricity in the building.

Edit: Let me add that I could have used a smaller stove, if I had put it into a corner of the sauna room and then provided adequate insulation between the stove and the sauna walls, but the tradition here, where I live, is to put a wood-burning stove about 1 meter away from anything flammable, including sauna walls and benches, plus sufficient ceiling height and floor insulation, and by the time that design was done it turned out that the minimum heating capacity of the Harvia 50 stove is just right for the size of the sauna room I designed.

Let me also add that I have many years of wood-burning stove experience, and that what I have done is really pushing the limits. Be careful!!!

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 am

And remember, when finished yourself, put few big logs (which burn for a long time) in, toss some water on the rocks (for your imported sauna elf) and leave ventilation fully open.

Elf likes that, and it ensures that sauna is nice and dry soon and will last for a looong time.

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Tiwaz wrote:And remember, when finished yourself, put few big logs (which burn for a long time) in, toss some water on the rocks (for your imported sauna elf) and leave ventilation fully open.

Elf likes that, and it ensures that sauna is nice and dry soon and will last for a looong time.
Saunatonttu, I forgot about that!

But yes, my sauna is of Finnish design and it has a Finnish kiuas, and so there COULD be saunatonttu, too.

I do add wood when I am done, to dry out the room, but now I will also add some water.

Thank you!