Being vegetarian in Finland

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Thomas Koren

Post by Thomas Koren » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:40 pm

Majava, This thread went downhill the moment Caroline started posting her "average finn" spiel again.

As for the availability in food and the local dishes, some are great, some are good, some are nasty(mämmi) just like in any other country.

I've traveled my fair share through (mostly) europe and some asian and african countries. Every country has good dishes, and horrible dishes.

The french for example have great tasting bread, cheeses and meatdishes, but the next time someone tries to serve me slugs or inner organs there, i'll stuff them where the sun doesn't shine....

The availability of fish here is brilliant, lots of fresh stuff at the markets and even in the medium to big supermarkets. Fresh vegetables are seasonbound or expensive, most people don't prefer them and the market is a lot smaller than the US or most central european countries, where some cities have a bigger population than the whole of finland.....

And with the big supply of rootvegetables and such here, being a vegetarian doesn't have to be boring at all.

As for pre-made meals, fins don't seem to like them as much as in more stressfull societies.

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:47 pm

Thomas Koren wrote:As for pre-made meals, fins don't seem to like them
Well, because 99% of the time they are disgusting. :wink:

I admit to using some, like cream potatoes out of a box to save time, but most of the "microwaveable" stuff is just... errr... no. Dried stuff I use a lot. Dunno, maybe it is an acquired taste thing, frozen and dried stuff... think of "traditional delicacies" of modern days, most are the food of poor people or preservatives from a time of no modern methods... say like English salted ham...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

happeningfish

Post by happeningfish » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:49 pm

michael.webster wrote:Sure you can resist ham, but what if it had been bacon? :-)
I have a deal with God: unlimited BLT on toasted whole grain bread once I'm past them pearly gates!

Nanouk

Re: Being vegetarian in Finland

Post by Nanouk » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:10 am

Im finding it really tricky here.
Im also a non-fish eating vegetarian.
In Amsterdam where Im from theres a whole section of vega burgers ranging from mushroom filling to cheese to tapanade to cubes you can use when you're using a wok.
So basically .. I never had ANY hardship in not eating meat :P (Vega section often more variety than the meat section). I haven't been here that long (almost 2 weeks) but at supermarkets I've yet to discover some kind of meat replacement burger thingies... Are there any specific supermarkets you know off where you can buy some kind of meat replacement products?

ImageImage

Valess my hero! I MISS YOU