Canadian Chinese Restaurant?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Canook

Post by Canook » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:21 am

Hello Finns and non-Finns alike!

This is kind of a strange request... I've recently become pregnant and I've been craving some things that I could easily get my hands on back in Canada, but not so easily here in Helsinki as far as I know.

The worst, though, is Chinese food. While the Finnish Chinese restaurants are fantastic, I'm looking for a more... Westernized Canadian/American version of Chinese food. Does anyone know of something like this in the Helsinki area? I've been craving food items such as honey garlic spareribs, lemon chicken, egg rolls, fried rice and most importantly, a fantastic won ton soup! Yummy.

If such a place with all of the above doesn't exist in Helsinki, does anyone at least know where I can get a good won ton soup? I'm craving it the most. :P May have to google some recipes up and make it myself in the long run, but I thought I'd give this a shot. :3

Thanks for any help!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tuulen

Re: Canadian Chinese Restaurant?

Post by tuulen » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Canook wrote:May have to google some recipes up and make it myself in the long run, but I thought I'd give this a shot. :3
The good news is that many Chinese foods are easy to make at home, mostly a matter of preparation but the cooking is fast. Get some recipes and try it!

Keep it simple! The Chinese traditionally use a wok, a round-bottomed cooking pot, but almost any kind of pot or pan will do. Learn how to stir-fry vegetables first, cut into smaller sized pieces, with a small amount of cooking oil and a small amount of water (to keep the oil from burning) in a pan, over medium-high heat, and by stirring keep them moving quickly! Any spices that you add are to your taste. Then once you can cook vegetables you could add various meats, again cut into smaller sized pieces. All of that will cook quickly!

Not only stir-frying, but a cooking pot can also be used for steaming. Steamed fish is excellent! And the possibilities go on and on.

LadyInTheSky

Post by LadyInTheSky » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Emmy in Punavuori is Chinese-Chinese (rather than Finnish Chinese), has good fried rice and egg rolls, lemon chicken was ok. Don't remember if they have wonton soup. It's a szechwan place, so beware quite a few dishes are spicy.

HeidiLiang

Post by HeidiLiang » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:50 pm

just wondering what's wonton soup...

now I understand. haha, it is 混沌汤

quite delicious, we often eat it as breakfast or dinner.

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:02 pm

LadyInTheSky wrote:It's a szechwan place, so beware quite a few dishes are spicy.
Szechuan dishes (hot and spicy) are among the best of Chinese cooking!

This is native Szechuan cooking.

But that can be done at home, in Finland!