My culture moment this summer!

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:32 am

Very near to me is a lovely ridge, and perched on the top is a beautiful lookout tower, for enjoying the views over lakes and forests, and more lakes. The beautiful views from here inspired the author and poet Topelius to write the lyrics for Kangasalankesälaulu, which is performed a lot round here every summer! I have to say that I do enjoy a good view, so i went to the tower with a fellow musican friend, and we took my tuba & her french horn, & we sat in the tower playing Kangasalankesälaulu, and a few other typical, Finnish summertime songs. The acoustics inside the wooden tower were excellent, enhanced by the smell of coffee and freshly baked munkki from the ad hoc kahvila below. Well, we played our hearts out, and hopefully didn´t disturb the many blueberry pickers out there, too. We had just finished, and were about to leave, when an elderly couple asked us to play a little something, as it was their wedding anniversary, so, we set up our musicstands and instruments, and duly played Suvivalssi, while sitting on rocks, overlooking the best view in the world, while the couple waltzed happily around the forest. (and the sun came out!)
MAGIC

I love living in Finland

Allie the Britmum, "äiti" to 3 boys, 10,9 and 7, & little princess, 4.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tuulen

Re: My culture moment this summer!

Post by tuulen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:12 am

:thumbsup:

Rosamunda

Re: My culture moment this summer!

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Wish you had been in Koli with us yesterday!
But we did have Vainamoinen growling on the horizon which did add something special to the view.

You made their day and they will remember it forever :D