Religion, or lack thereof?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
sysyphus

Post by sysyphus » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:20 am

According to a relatively recent Gallup survey, just over half of the population in Finland is actually theist. I come from a country where religious governs every facet of life, and is criminally intolerant of differing opinions on the matter. I am a secular humanist and one of the reasons why I am planning to study abroad is because I don't like receiving violent threats on a regular basis because of my lack of belief. Statistics can lie, even if they don't, they hardly ever paint the complete picture. How are Finns when it comes to religion? There is a Finnish chapter of the Atheist Alliance International, but they hardly represent 0.2 percent of the population (at least that's what their online membership strength tells one). What is life like for someone wholly lacking in belief like me? Would I be ostracised from society because I am the spawn of Satan or would people just not care as long I respect their right to their own beliefs. I could really do without this stigma you know; being a ''brown guy'' among white caucasians is enough of a label to struggle with =(

P.S. If this post isn't in the right section, the mods please shift it to its proper place or spell it out if you're too lazy =P

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

interleukin

Re: Religion, or lack thereof?

Post by interleukin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:53 am

Nobody cares what or anything you believe in, don't worry.
Most people are registered as church members at birth, and remain there due to laziness, to some vague "just in case there is some kind of God" feeling, or because they want to be able to have a really pretty church wedding. People go to church at baptisms, weddings, and funerals. It depends on where you will be living, but mostly anyone that wants to talk about their religion is considered a bit strange. This means that no-one will expect you to believe in God, but you might also get funny looks if you are being dramatically and verbally atheist. It's just something that is quite private to most people outside of the immediate family.

The reason there are so few active atheists is that it's something anyone can be (well, I guess it can be hard if you come from a mega-religious family/town) so it's not considered such a big deal.

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:57 am

Hi, "brown guy",

Religious persecution is not part of life in Finland. You have no need to be concerned about that.

But there are some very "conservative" aspects to Finnish culture, and those will be demanded of you.

One of those conservative aspects is the Finnish language, without which you can not integrate into Finland.

BTW, a Lebanese Arab friend of mine once said that God had baked, like cookies in an oven, humans into colors of white, black, and "just right", my Lebanese friend being of a light brown color. ;-)
Last edited by tuulen on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:06 am

In short, you won't have any problems. In Finland people are free to choose their religion, or choose no religion. 99% of people just don't care and people are unlikely to ask what your belief is as part of a general conversation (and certainly wouldn't give you any grief about your beliefs even if the subject did come up in conversation).

Most people who are religious are Lutherans. Some go to church regularly but most don't. There is no requirement for daily praying, washing rituals or restrictions on foodstuffs. Because of this, it is usually impossible to tell if someone is religious or not.

Welcome to the land of the free!
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

sysyphus

Post by sysyphus » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:09 am

interleukin wrote:you might also get funny looks if you are being dramatically and verbally atheist. It's just something that is quite private to most people outside of the immediate family.
No one likes to draw unwanted attention to one's self unless she/he is an attention whore. But I would like to get in touch with likeminded people to exchange views over a cup of coffee or something. I mean isnt it only human to want to interact with people who share your views on life?

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:18 am

sysyphus wrote:But I would like to get in touch with likeminded people to exchange views over a cup of coffee or something.
Well, here we are! And this is your Finnish Internet cup of coffee. Hello!

sysyphus

Post by sysyphus » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:18 am

tuulen wrote:Hi, "brown guy",

Religious persecution is not part of life in Finland. You have no need to be concerned about that.

But there are some very "conservative" aspects to Finnish culture, and those will be demanded of you.

One of those conservative aspects is the Finnish language, without which you can not integrate into Finland.
Tuulen, this doesnt seem like conservatism, I'd say its pride and ought to be. It would be a disrespect to the people if I cant be bothered to learn their language when they are hosting me. But would people expect me to land in Vantaa conversing fluently in Suomi or Svenska? Thats almost certainly impossible! The only way to actally learn a language is to be amongst people who speak the language and I believe it would take me around six months to speak acceptable Finnish.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:25 am

But I would like to get in touch with likeminded people to exchange views over a cup of coffee or something.
Of course. You're not going to have to be a depressed closet-atheist while you are here, I was merely saying that any behaviour that is too dramatic is going to get you looks. There's a huge difference between discussing these things with people you meet, and walking around in a Dawkins-suit downtown with a big sign and trying to convert people to the evolution-side. :) My original point was just that no-one will care about your religion /non-religion, and it's your choice how visible you make your opinion. Most people will probably go "ok, sure" when you state your atheism, and then the discussion will quickly drift into more interesting topics like alcohol and cinema or smartphones. :)

sysyphus

Post by sysyphus » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:26 am

tuulen wrote: BTW, a Lebanese Arab friend of mine once said that God had baked, like cookies in an oven, humans into colors of white, black, and "just right", my Lebanese friend being of a light brown color. ;-)
LOL! That one is a keeper, gotta remember it the next time someone tries to put me down because of me being coffee colored (i personally prefer caramel :D)

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:30 am

sysyphus wrote:...and I believe it would take me around six months to speak acceptable Finnish.
:lol:

Six years might be more usual. Finnish and English are night and day different languages.

But get going on it! Being a "brown guy" is OK as long as you can speak Finnish.

sysyphus

Post by sysyphus » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:36 am

There's a huge difference between discussing these things with people you meet, and walking around in a Dawkins-suit downtown with a big sign and trying to convert people to the evolution-side.
Hey, we don't go recruiting people with promises of 72 virgins in the afterlife nor do we claim to turn water into wine (although considering liquor prices have gone through the roof, im sure the Finns would actually want that to be true!)
If we started preaching, there would be no difference between us and the fundamentalists. And I am not exactly fond of Sir Richard Dawkins. He is Darwin's champion in these times, and his work in the field of evolutionary biology is priceless, but the man's just a wee bit too insensitive when expressing his views. I am more from the Karen Armstrong lobby =)

sysyphus

Post by sysyphus » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:39 am

tuulen wrote:
sysyphus wrote:...and I believe it would take me around six months to speak acceptable Finnish.
:lol:

Six years might be more usual. Finnish and English are night and day different languages.

But get going on it! Being a "brown guy" is OK as long as you can speak Finnish.
I am living proof of the unimaginable, an agnostic living in a religiously crazed nation of 16 billion. I may be naive in proclaiming so, but I honestly believe you just have to want it bad enough to achieve the seemingly insurmountable!

sysyphus

Post by sysyphus » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:44 am

interleukin wrote:
and then the discussion will quickly drift into more interesting topics like alcohol and cinema or smartphones. :)
Would I be in trouble if I am not carrying a lumia900 or could I get away with it by blaming the windows OS for spoiling such an orgasmic piece of polycarbonate craftmanship? =P

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:57 am

I blame Windows for everything too :)

But seriously, it sounds like you'll fit in well here and have a good time. :)

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:13 am

sysyphus wrote:Would I be in trouble if I am not carrying a lumia900 or could I get away with it by blaming the windows OS for spoiling such an orgasmic piece of polycarbonate craftmanship? =P
Never mind that, but what now comes is your ability to speak Finnish.

You either do that, or your destiny in Finland is nowhere.

Finland is a wonderful place, but the Finnish language is your ticket to entry.