learning swedish for finns!!!

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
enkeligod

Re: learning swedish for finns!!!

Post by enkeligod » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:22 pm

[quote="Ukki"]For the OP: Yes we do.
I have yet to find a country where majority of people have been subjected so badly by state sponsored ideology (smells a lot like Marxis-Leninism in former east european countries), expecially when one has to consider that Finland is VERY monolingual when compared to other countries in the world. For example, in Finland aproximately 92% of people are finnish speaking as compared to Sweden which has app. 89% of swedish speaking population. Yet Sweden has only swedish as official lanuguage and Finland does not have finnish. Where is the sanity in this?!

Does knowing that sweets are dulces in Spanish help a child learn to resist a tasty treat? It may indeed, as people who learn two languages gain cognitive advantages that extend well beyond the ability to communicate with others.
The ability to speak two languages provides benefits for a lifetime, at least in people who continue to use both of them actively through adulthood.

Your Bilingual Finland is an advantage and not a damage, just make good use of it!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:45 am

enkeligod wrote: Does knowing that sweets are dulces in Spanish help a child learn to resist a tasty treat? It may indeed, as people who learn two languages gain cognitive advantages that extend well beyond the ability to communicate with others.
False, this is only true for those who are living in bilingual family, not for people who have to learn language long after their native language has been established. (let's not get into some reseach hinting also some mental problems being more prevalent in bi/multilingual people, mainly MPD)
The ability to speak two languages provides benefits for a lifetime, at least in people who continue to use both of them actively through adulthood.
I use English all the time in my life, but Swedish is useless to me. German would serve me better than Swedish!
So we DO get benefit of learning languages, we just want to learn USEFUL languages, not worthless rubbish spoken only in one tiny country.
Your Bilingual Finland is an advantage and not a damage, just make good use of it!
Bilingual Finland is pain in the ass, and sooner Finland is officially made monolingual, the better. It will dramatically reduce costs (you only need ONE traffic sign all over, amount of text is reduced as one useless minority language is struck out and so forth) and improve language skills of Finns as we can diversify our knowledge, English being mandatory as lingua franca and then another language of actual use!