Suomen ''Marriage Customs''

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
SuomenKenraali

Post by SuomenKenraali » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:12 am

delete
Last edited by SuomenKenraali on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Kun painuvi päät muun kansan, maan, me jääkärit uskoimme yhä.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Suomen ''Marriage Customs''

Post by rinso » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:47 am

SuomenKenraali wrote: But, would it be considered rude to ask my girlfriend to marry me without first telling her father?
Finnish women are quite independent. Going to her father first would be an insult to your girlfriend.
If she is from a traditional family you might ask her father after you two have decided. But she will know if that is a good thing to do.

SuomenKenraali

Post by SuomenKenraali » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:07 am

deleted
Last edited by SuomenKenraali on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:32 am

SuomenKenraali wrote:Just wondering if that was part of culture to talk to family before making it ''official''
If you were from the "better families" your parents would have already had those discussions. :lol:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:38 am

SuomenKenraali wrote: Just recently found a thread on here saying most finnish engagment rings are only a gold band. Very interesting, it is a bit different here in the states.
Well, the Finnish woman would be
a) convinced you got the glitzy thing from an easter egg
b) after getting it evaluated, and knowing you're piss-poor, convinced you nicked it
c) furious as all that money could have gone to more sensible things like down payment of a car or flat or baby pram
d) totally swooned as she can make all her girlfriends gren with envy as long as you are kept well away from them showing pictures of your double-wide and shotgun collection nevermind the possums mounted in questionable poses you inherited from uncle Bubba.
:lol:
only a gold band
PS, plain gold ring with carat stamps is much easier to turn into cash, hence why
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:43 am

SuomenKenraali wrote:Right. Well, it's been discussed already. But, it will be a suprize for her forsure. Just wondering if that was part of culture to talk to family before making it ''official''

appreciate the reply! thanks alot!
Your information is out dated. She will want a diamond ring 1 or 2 year after you are married (aka signed your death certificate) to show that ring to her friends. At least, this is how it went with my ex.
Image Image

SuomenKenraali

Post by SuomenKenraali » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:49 pm

CH wrote:The engagement rings are usually pretty plain, commonly without diamonds.Traditional, and still very common, is just plain gold bands for both. But, what material, plain, patterned, stones or not... that's up to the tastes of the couple. The rings are usually bought after the engagement by the couple together, I don't think the "movie engagement" with the man on one knee with a ring he has already bought is that usual.

The wedding ring for the woman usually has a diamond or more, but it is usually pretty modest compared to US engagement ring standards (no "has to cost x months of salary" here). Again, usually the couple go together looking for a ring. Like was already mentioned, the man can also have a wedding ring, but I have very seldom seen a man with two rings and then it has been just two very plain gold bands. But, if the man also wants a rock on his finger... just go ahead! :)

What is typical for today is hard to say. Many go for the traditional plain for the engagement ring, but at the same time many seem to want rings that have a personal meaning for them so the rings can be more or less anything. It isn't that unusual today that the couple has rings designed for them.

If you want to google: Engagement ring = kihlasormus. Wedding ring = vihkisormus.