Finnish Folk music?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
RedDawn

Finnish Folk music?

Post by RedDawn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:12 pm

So this question has been going through my head for a couple of days now and i am finally posting it. But what i been wondering about is Spiritual Folk music, I only know of one Artist named Tenhi which is like a Dark folk band according to wiki... Is there any Artist that are pretty similar to their style? Or maybe Influences about Nature and the Seasons in there lyrics? This would be helpful thank you!

Finnish Folk music?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Re: Finnish Folk music?

Post by Jukka Aho » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:36 am

RedDawn wrote:So this question has been going through my head for a couple of days now and i am finally posting it. But what i been wondering about is Spiritual Folk music, I only know of one Artist named Tenhi which is like a Dark folk band according to wiki... Is there any Artist that are pretty similar to their style? Or maybe Influences about Nature and the Seasons in there lyrics? This would be helpful thank you!
So by “spiritual” you mean old gods, deities of nature, spells and such? Not so much Christian-themed music?

Check out Värttinä’s Äijö, that’s right in the ballbark. (The spell part is power words for driving off a viper.)
znark

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:29 am

Jukka Aho wrote:So by “spiritual” you mean old gods, deities of nature, spells and such?
I had the same question, about the meaning of "spiritual", etc.

Edit: In USA, especially in the southern US states, there are church/religious organizations having choral groups which sing a kind of religiously-oriented music known as spirituals. But that is not "folk" music, per se.

RedDawn

Post by RedDawn » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Yes not so much of Christian theme kind of music. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9RZ1Kkwu_k

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:57 am

RedDawn wrote:Yes not so much of Christian theme kind of music. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9RZ1Kkwu_k
Finland did not have a written language until the early 16th century, when a prominent Christian wrote a translation of the Christian Bible into the Finnish language of that time. Otherwise, in regard to ancient Finland, the Kalevala tales are the most authentic reference. It is known that Finland has a rich pre-Christian history, but much of that now becomes a matter of individual (your) interpretation and speculation, as few facts now exist.

However, a study of the Kalevala tales is highly recommended! (Google: Kalevala)