Independence Day (December 6)

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:26 am

Finland celebrates its 95th Independence Day today. Google commemorates the event with a Google Doodle:

Even though independence was gained peacefully circumstances at the time were such that they soon led to a bitter civil war and, some decades later, at the onset of WW2, to the Winter War, Continuation War, and Lapland War. Since the events of the Winter War and the Continuation War are seen as essential to Finland surviving as an independent nation, those wars and their still surviving veterans, as well as the remembrance of those who fought and fell on the battlefield, are closely associated with the celebrations of the Independence Day even today, marking it as a somewhat solemn occasion. Or, as YLE puts it, “Suomi hiljentyy itsenäisyyspäivän viettoon” (“Finland quiets down to commemorate the Independence Day”).

One of the hottest news items leading to this Independence Day has been the demands made by a representative of the Finnish Centre for Media Education, or MEKU, whose duties include classifying the age-appropriateness of movies. The said organization has deemed it illegal for the Finnish public broadcaster YLE to show Tuntematon sotilas (“The Unknown Soldier”, a 1955 feature film film by Edvin Laine, based on the Väinö Linna novel by the same name) at 2 p.m. due to its graphic scenes, which it sees as inappropriate for children.

It just so happens showing this film on TV on the Independence Day has become something of a tradition since the early 1990s. Moving it from the early afternoon to a later hour has been seen as a needless exercise of bureaucratic power and nannying — even disrespectful of the veterans — and many among the general public (and also the editors and columnists of various papers) have vocally protested to this interpretation of the law. However, YLE has now yielded to MEKU’s demands and agreed to move their traditional schedule around so that the film will be shown at 5 p.m., instead, which makes it legal again in so far as the rules pertaining to age-appropriateness are concerned.

As always, the traditional things to do are lighting up two candles in the windows and, for many, watching the live broadcast of the Presidential Independence Day Ball, the most closely-followed red-carpet event in the country. The show can also be viewed from abroad on this page (6:50 p.m. Finnish time), and its “afterparty” (of sorts — YLE interviews tipsy celebs in the restaurant Teatteri, located in downtown Helsinki) here (from 10:15 p.m. onwards.)

Earlier during the day, there’s also a military parade in Kouvola which is likewise covered by YLE (starting from 1:05 p.m. Finnish time) and can be viewed on the Internet here.

Otherwise, there’s not really much to do. Most everything is closed as it’s a national holiday, except for the smaller grocery stores (< 400 m²) which are allowed to do business even on holidays. There may be local events during the day, of course, and many restaurants/clubs remain open, though.
Last edited by Jukka Aho on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

znark

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tuulen

Re: Independence Day (December 6)

Post by tuulen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:31 am

Hyvää itsenäisyyspäivää Suomeen!

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:39 pm

For our international audience, the Tuntematon (classic BW) is available on youtube, I think I've seen a subtitled version.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:45 pm

May I go to the dockyard, face to west and yell "Sweden sucks"?
Image Image

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Oombongo wrote:May I go to the dockyard, face to west and yell "Sweden sucks"?
Sure, free country and whatnot. Why not do it to east too as they seem to be the culprits there too: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68288&start=30 :lol:
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:46 pm

Upphew wrote:
Oombongo wrote:May I go to the dockyard, face to west and yell "Sweden sucks"?
Sure, free country and whatnot. Why not do it to east too as they seem to be the culprits there too: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68288&start=30 :lol:
:D

*patriot mode on*. Our president has what it takes to lead the nation

Image Image

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Jukka Aho wrote:
Earlier during the day, there’s also a military parade in Kouvola which is likewise covered by YLE (starting from 1:05 p.m. Finnish time) and can be viewed on the Internet here.
And if you look really, really carefully you might even see MMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee! We drove there, stood in the cold and cheered as my little soldier marched through the city. Shame it was too cloudy to see the Hornets but I'm glad I went. Actually we didn't even spot our own progeny (they all look sort of alike) but he did see us - so it was worth the trip.
:ochesey: