Book about living in Finland

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
agirlinalabama

Post by agirlinalabama » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:21 pm

A friend of mine from Finland once loaned me a book so I could understand her culture more. I seem to remember it was by an American Journalist that had married a Fin and moved to Finland. He wanted to write a book to explain where he lived. The result was a rather humorous but loving look at Finnish tendencies in everything from Subway behavior to Saunas. The book was in English on one side and in Finnish on the other.

I haven’t been able to find the book since, but I’d love to know what it was. Does anyone here know?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Book about living in Finland

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:48 am

Hmmm... a bilingual book

"Neilin tähteet/Hardwick's sauce", which is a compilation of the humoristic columns Neil Hardwick wrote to Suomen Kuvalehti, but he's English and a tv-scriptwriter, and the metro wasn't invented when he wrote those...

"Suomesta rakkaudella/From Finland with love" is a compilation of columns by Roman Schatz, who is a journalist, but a German...

Theres James Thompson, who is an American, and a writer, but he writes crime novels even I can't describe "humorous and loving"... theres Phillip Schwartzmann who wrote "How to Marry a Finnish Girl" and I don't know if he makes a fart in a sauna funny... but none of that stuff is bilingual... hmmm...

If it was a recent -ish -one, I'd put my money on Roman Schatz
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

MagicJ

Post by MagicJ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:35 am

ImageImage

agirlinalabama

Post by agirlinalabama » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:40 pm

From Finland with Love is absolutely it. My bad... I could've sworn he was not only American, but from the south.

Thanks!!

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:48 pm

I could've sworn he was ... from the south.
well... he is :lol:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."