Music in Finland

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
enk

Post by enk » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:13 pm

Sápmi wrote:My favorite finnish musicians are Wimme Saari and Niko Valkeapää (both singing in Sami language and/or yoiking). Anyone else here interested in sami music?
Jehp. I actually like Saari a lot better, but I'm strange :)

-enk

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ryutombstone

Post by ryutombstone » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:16 am

Finnish metal rules - my girlfriend has gotten me into Nightwish and Sonata Arctica. :D
Nightwish are, in my opinion, the greatest band of all time.
Soo much better than the crap that passes for popular music here in Ireland.

toukokuu

angst

Post by toukokuu » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:49 am

I think that Finnish tango that beats metal. There is both melancholy and joy of life combined in tango, good just to listen and you dont have to be able to dance actually, either...easier than Argentine tango.

I think that we have such a many metal bands because it is a way to turn the Finns' existential anxiety into something. Of course turning into music is a better option than suicide or violence. Not saying that all metal is similar and anxious because there are many styles within.Saw these people going to Tuska festival the other year, and oh, all this heaviness of life in their clothing, make up. Young people...how sad!

MattKlei87

Post by MattKlei87 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:44 am

Music is what got me interested in Finland. Ever since I stumbled across Nightwish about four years ago, I don't listen to much other than Finnish bands.

My favorite Finnish metal bands:
Sonata Arctica
Nightwish
Children of Bodom
Stratovarius
Twilightning
Kalmah
Norther
Imperanon
Wintersun
Ensiferum
Moonsorrow
Finntroll
Dreamtale
Wingdom
Warmen
Requiem
Stone
Kotipelto
Altaria
Sinergy
Frozen Paradise (demo band, similar to Children of Bodom)
and many, many more than I can think of at the moment.

I love the emphasis on strong catchy melodies, I love that they really know how to play their instruments, I love that they express more emotions than sadness and hate(whereas "metal" in the U.S. generally involves "depressed" and angry teenage boys with little knowledge of their instruments), and I like that they use winter as a theme alot. I know these things aren't unique to Finland, but Finns just do it right IMO. I'd love to go to Finland and see if some of it's magic rubs off on me and my music.

Besides metal, I've been curious lately in checking out other Finnish music. Traditional folk music mainly. I know a group called "Tarujen Saari" which I like very much. I'm also interested in notable finnish musicians from any genre- classical, jazz, blues, rock- anything at all really. If anyone has suggestions I would be greatful.

suomiruli

Post by suomiruli » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:52 pm

I like Finnish music so much! :)
Sometimes I listen even Finnish-language music too, is that crazy? :p
But I don't like all the Finnish music..I don't like TikTak, Antti Tuisku and more for example..
But I dó like:
The Rasmus, HIM, Apulanta, Poets of the Fall (which is not well known even in Finland not..but they should be!), Kotiteollisuus (from which i first didn't know what kind of music they made :D), Ripsipiirakka, Klamydia and even Pikku G sometimes :lol: , and Olavi Uusivirta/Hanna Pakarinen/Ilkka Jää... no comment i just like it :) And Strato and Sonata, and Apocalyptica I like too sometimes. And Amorphis too, but sometimes i become headache of their music xD
I must have forgotten the half, but the ones I wrote are at least good :)

Niittyvilla

Post by Niittyvilla » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:01 pm

Besides metal, I've been curious lately in checking out other Finnish music. Traditional folk music mainly. I know a group called "Tarujen Saari" which I like very much. I'm also interested in notable finnish musicians from any genre- classical, jazz, blues, rock- anything at all really. If anyone has suggestions I would be greatful.[/quote]

If you're looking for traditional folk music, there's (besides Värttinä of course) a younger band called Loituma (if i remember well) and Me Naiset (not the magazine).
Question: i mostly listen to classical music, but with that i don't mean 'classical' but more ancient (especially renaissance - baroque). As far as i know, 'classical' music in Finland only begins at about late classicism or even romanticism [horror]. Never found any real old music in shops, nor concerts except for some Bach-evergreens. Am i looking at the wrong places?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:09 pm

Probably. You need to seek for "kansanmusiikki" and then for concerts go to "Kihaus" or the "pelimanni" events and such... in the boonies.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Ravvy

Post by Ravvy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:28 pm

I'm planning to be at Kihaus this summer.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:34 pm

I am planning to be at the Iron Maiden concert this November ;)
Cheers, Hank W.

Ravvy

Post by Ravvy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:37 pm

Hank W. wrote:I am planning to be at the Iron Maiden concert this November ;)
I'm guessing they might be a bit much for my daughter! We think Kihaus will be a bit gentler way to introduce ourselves to Finland's summer festival scene. :D

Emi

Post by Emi » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:56 am

Hank W. wrote:I am planning to be at the Iron Maiden concert this November ;)
have the same plans, but only in other country ;)
Und die jahre ziehen ins Land und wir trinken immer noch ohne Verstand...

Truecanadian

Post by Truecanadian » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:17 am

I was reading this year's Tuska open air festival will be having Venom, Celtic Frost, Opeth,Sonata Arctica, Wintersun, Norther, etc this year. For all going I hope you have a great time.
During that weekend is Canada Day stuff. Imagine, sorry boss I am sick that weekend and won't be coming into work. Just going to Finland for the weekend to go to a heavy metal festival and needing another week off after it. Hope you don't mind. :lol: :lol:
Check it out at http://www.tuska-festival.fi. :D

sammy

Post by sammy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:49 am

Truecanadian wrote:I was reading this year's Tuska open air festival will be having Venom, Celtic Frost, Opeth,Sonata Arctica, Wintersun, Norther, etc this year. For all going I hope you have a great time.
During that weekend is Canada Day stuff. Imagine, sorry boss I am sick that weekend and won't be coming into work. Just going to Finland for the weekend to go to a heavy metal festival and needing another week off after it. Hope you don't mind. :lol: :lol:
Check it out at http://www.tuska-festival.fi. :D
Opeth? That's good news. Celtic Frost? That's incredible news. I didn't even know they still exist! :lol: Well, I guess it's into the pandemonium then.

matildemichi

Post by matildemichi » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:34 pm

Sápmi wrote:My favorite finnish musicians are Wimme Saari and Niko Valkeapää (both singing in Sami language and/or yoiking). Anyone else here interested in sami music?
...Im matilde from italy, i like finnish folk music as "värttinä" for example..but never heard any sami music. i would like to listen to some of it, if you have one, can you send it to me? : ) my email adress is written down here. cheers. :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:34 pm

Cheers, Hank W.