Music in Finland

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
kuippana

Post by kuippana » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:14 pm

Some albums I find good that are propably not mentioned yet:

Pepe deluxe - Super sound
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... nce&n=5174

Kemopetrol - Slowed down
http://www.kemopetrol.org/album.shtml

Kingston wall - Tri-Logy
http://www.kotiposti.net/akiko/mirrorla ... kwIII.html

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Sápmi

Post by Sápmi » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:31 am

My favorite finnish musicians are Wimme Saari and Niko Valkeapää (both singing in Sami language and/or yoiking). Anyone else here interested in sami music?

sinikala

Re: Ville Valo

Post by sinikala » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:51 am

Jenni wrote:I'm not really a huge HIM fan (Nightwish, Lordi and especially The Rasmus do it for me) but I was concerned when someone told me Ville Valo had cancer. I don't believe them, really but could someone please confirm this for me?
No idea, but it wouldn't be surprising, doesn't he smoke about 4 packs a day?

Iveta

Re:

Post by Iveta » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:57 am

Last edited by Iveta on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Emi

Re:

Post by Emi » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:01 pm

Iveta wrote: finnish music is not just about HIM and The Rasmus, there are so many good bands in FIN-Amorphis, Apocalyptica, Children Of Bodom, Ajattara, Sentenced ( too bad they broke up), Charon and so many, many more...
exactly
actually, HIM and Rasmus don't have much common with the "Finnish music" topic - the bands playing some kind of American pop-rock with only a small part of Scandinavian talent (this is what makes them better than typical American pop rock). Good products for export - so people get interested in these Baltic hunks ( ;) ) and get fancy for knowing more - it's all they are
Und die jahre ziehen ins Land und wir trinken immer noch ohne Verstand...

Emi

Re:

Iveta wrote: finnish music is not just about HIM and The Rasmus, there are so many good bands in FIN-Amorphis, Apocalyptica, Children Of Bodom, Ajattara, Sentenced ( too bad they broke up), Charon and so many, many more...
exactly
actually, HIM and Rasmus don't have much common with the "Finnish music" topic - the bands playing some kind of American pop-rock with only a small part of Scandinavian talent (this is what makes them better than typical American pop rock). Good products for export - so people get interested in these Baltic hunks ( ;) ) and get fancy for knowing more - it's all they are

Emi

Re:

exactly

Emi

Post by Emi » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:03 pm

awch... please, erase triple post to leave only one...
btw, how to delete posts on this forum???
:shock:

Jenni

Post by Jenni » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:07 pm

*Takes out notepad and starts jotting down band names.*

I've been listening to way too much American music recently... I need a change.
Anymore names from the Finnish music scene? Although, I desperately hope there's no Finnish equivelent of Cliff Richard. *wretches*
Rubies And Ivory

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:41 pm

There are so many great bands in Finland, not only HIM and The Rasmus (although I´m a The Rasmus fan), I discover a great band called Deep Insight, and also Uniklubi, or Damn Seagulls, Disco Ensemble, Lullacry, Entwine, Private Line, LoveX, Feiled....amazing!

Ravvy

Post by Ravvy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:50 am

Wow, eight pages of posts on Finnish rock music and not one mention of Eppu Normaali? I must have missed something. Murheelisten laulujen maa indeed! :wink:

Gothdancer

NIGTHWISH vs FOREVER SLAVE

Post by Gothdancer » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:56 am

The band Nightwish published a letter which the members of the band tell Tarja has

been kicked out of Nightwish.

Tuomas annunced the name of two singer who could sustitute Tarja in his interview for

finnish tv. One of them is Sarah Rusanen a young opera singer(she is non related to

metal music) and the singer of the metal band Forever Slave. She looks like Tarja. I

found the site of Forever Slave: http://www.foreverslave.com and about the other girl

I can´t find anything, sorry. But if someone find something about, tell me!!

HzE

Post by HzE » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:11 pm

I don't have anything new to offer to this conversation. But if you like melodic and melancholic metal, you should definately try Sentenced. There are also many other nice metalbands too like Charon, Diablo, Kotiteollisuus, Stam1na (very good newcomer), Eternal Tears Of Sorrow... and the list keeps going.

From the lighter music I like for example CMX which has gotten into a respectable 20 years age. And of course you should try Eläkeläiset ;)

suomiruli

Post by suomiruli » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:50 pm

Apulanta is my absolute favourite.. :) Especially the songs from 'Kiila' are great 8)
I wish i could get that album somehow :cry:

Truecanadian

Post by Truecanadian » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:49 pm

Gothdancer I checked out the Foreverslave website. The singer looks like Tarja but I think what see would bring to the band is a heavier and more gothic image.
I have never heard her sing but see looks like a good person to replace Tarja with Nightwish. If Tuomas and the rest of the band can bring her into the band I think Nightwish will be a huge, huge success in North America.
That's the market they need to crack even though they have a huge following in Europe.