Music in Finland

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:25 pm

Oh man, it is embarassing.

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

yamoussoukro

About bands

Post by yamoussoukro » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:36 pm

There are many good bands here.
To see something different and unique in a Finnish way, I think every foreigner should see at least Ismo Alanko, Tuomari Nurmio and Värttinä live and you don't need to understand the lyrics to enjoy it. It's often impossible anyway.

jmbullet
Location: Listening to The Rasmus dreaming about my life with them in Finland... but I'm stuck in Canada !!!

Post by jmbullet » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:59 am

I love Apocalyptica, Children of Bodom, HIM, Killer, Kwan, Nightwish, Stratovarius, The 69 Eyes, The Rasmus and Uniklubi

But I don't understand what Uniklubi are singing :( well I got some translations, but I would like to understand when I listen to it... anyone knows if you can take Finnish courses via internet ??? 'cause I live in a small town with 0 Finn (try to find a Finn in another place that Montréal or Québec city in Québec...) the courses can be given in english or in french, 'cause I speak both languages...
I fell in love with Finnish music (mostly The Rasmus... or I should say more Lauri Ylönen !!!) and now I can't get up !!!

MOVING TO FINLAND ASAP !!!

Twistmysister67

Post by Twistmysister67 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:14 am

After children of bodoms "Are You Dead Yet?" i had to replace them with Kalmah until they go back to their old ways.....

Xochiquetzal

Post by Xochiquetzal » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:10 am

jmbullet wrote:But I don't understand what Uniklubi are singing :( well I got some translations, but I would like to understand when I listen to it...
Sometimes, that is for the best way to enjoy Finnish bands. :) I really liked Ultra Bra a lot until I started translating the lyrics. I think it was about the time I got to that hauki song that I just threw up my hands in disgust and walked away.

On another note, I'm rather glad to see that Poets of the Fall was mentioned. The keyboardist works under my husband and they've been good friends for years now. He was also in another band in the 1990s that charted (and he does the scores for several computer games). It's ironic that you can have the number one song/album and still not quite your day job. That's Finland for you. :) But the success of the closing song in the Max Payne game really generated amazing interest for the band.

jmbullet
Location: Listening to The Rasmus dreaming about my life with them in Finland... but I'm stuck in Canada !!!

Post by jmbullet » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:35 am

Xochiquetzal wrote:
jmbullet wrote:But I don't understand what Uniklubi are singing :( well I got some translations, but I would like to understand when I listen to it...
Sometimes, that is for the best way to enjoy Finnish bands. :) I really liked Ultra Bra a lot until I started translating the lyrics. I think it was about the time I got to that hauki song that I just threw up my hands in disgust and walked away.
but it doesn't stop me wanting to learn Finnish... I wanna talk with The Rasmus in Finnish :D
I fell in love with Finnish music (mostly The Rasmus... or I should say more Lauri Ylönen !!!) and now I can't get up !!!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:45 am

I did a Finnish introductory language course in Barcelona for one month and one of our homework was to translate Uniklubi´s songs!My teacher (from Oulu) said that the lyrics were the easiest that she found. I was surprised because I bought Uniklubi´s CD before my course, when I was in Helsinki in June during midsummer.
Last month I had the chance to meet The Rasmus and I said a few finnish words to them :oops:
Jmbullet, are you moving to Finland?I´m going to move to Finland probably next month, so we can meet!I´m a huge Rasmus´fan too! :wink:

jmbullet

Post by jmbullet » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:16 am

sadly not now, I'm 14 years old and stuck in canada until I'm 18 'cause my parents will never let me go to Finland alone... but I'm going to move to Finland the day I turn 18 !!!!! but if you are a huge rasmus fan are you on their official forum http://www.therasmusforum.com ? or even the fanfic forum http://www.therasmusfanfic.com ??? I'm always there... or there's my own forum too http://trslashfanfics.forumer.com

so... we cannot meet for real but we can talk on the forum.. theres my e-mail adress too u can add me to ur msn [email protected]

enk

Post by enk » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:17 pm

jmbullet wrote:sadly not now, I'm 14 years old and stuck in canada until I'm 18 'cause my parents will never let me go to Finland alone...
You could try and convince your parents to let you go to some camp
here for a couple weeks in the summer, for instance:

http://www.aavacampfinland.com/index.do?

I'm sure if you're a teen then you can find all sorts of good reasons
that will appease your parents as to why you really need to do something
like that :D

-enk

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:21 pm

My sister is in International Forum, her nickname is Bliss. Although we don´t post very often, we usually read the forum almost everyday!

jmbullet

Post by jmbullet » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:54 am

enk wrote:
jmbullet wrote:sadly not now, I'm 14 years old and stuck in canada until I'm 18 'cause my parents will never let me go to Finland alone...
You could try and convince your parents to let you go to some camp
here for a couple weeks in the summer, for instance:

http://www.aavacampfinland.com/index.do?

I'm sure if you're a teen then you can find all sorts of good reasons
that will appease your parents as to why you really need to do something
like that :D

-enk
thks for the link... but... the thing is... I dont speak a single word Finnish and my spoken english is bad ... my 1st language is French, so I suck at everything else lol

jmbullet

Post by jmbullet » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:26 am

and OMG, if I have to pay : plane tickets, camp and everything.... thats gonna cost me a fortune !!!!! it would be already expensive in canadian dollars, but its in Euros !!!!!!!!! and euros cost a lot of canadian money !!!!!!

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:51 am

jmbullet wrote:and OMG, if I have to pay : plane tickets, camp and everything.... thats gonna cost me a fortune !!!!! it would be already expensive in canadian dollars, but its in Euros !!!!!!!!! and euros cost a lot of canadian money !!!!!!
No pain, no gain. C'mon, you KNOW Lauri's worth it.

jmbullet

Post by jmbullet » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:53 am

otyikondo wrote:
jmbullet wrote:and OMG, if I have to pay : plane tickets, camp and everything.... thats gonna cost me a fortune !!!!! it would be already expensive in canadian dollars, but its in Euros !!!!!!!!! and euros cost a lot of canadian money !!!!!!
No pain, no gain. C'mon, you KNOW Lauri's worth it.
:D Of course he is, but that doesn't give me 5000$ CAN lol.... I have a small job but it only pays 500$ CAN a year... (I work like 1 hour a week (and I spend all my money on CDs lol)) so.... im never gonna be able to pay that lol...... unless Lauri pays it himself :twisted:
Last edited by jmbullet on Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:59 am

He'd get in jail for that.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.