Wind orchestras in Helsinki?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Daniiiela

Post by Daniiiela » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:12 pm

Hi,

does anyone of you have any tips, links or websites of wind orchestras/marching bands in Helsinki for me? I'm going to study here and I would like to join one!

The ones I found so far seem to be the really good ones with high standards (like Akateeminen puhallinorkesteri) and I'm not sure if I'm good enough for them. But I guess there must be some more? Some local ones maybe that play more polkka and less symphonic music?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Re: Wind orchestras in Helsinki?

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:12 am

Daniiiela wrote:does anyone of you have any tips, links or websites of wind orchestras/marching bands in Helsinki for me? I'm going to study here and I would like to join one!

The ones I found so far seem to be the really good ones with high standards (like Akateeminen puhallinorkesteri) and I'm not sure if I'm good enough for them. But I guess there must be some more? Some local ones maybe that play more polkka and less symphonic music?
Register a user account on muusikoiden.net and post the same question on their forum. The most relevant section would be Puhaltimet (Wind Instruments).

You can use Google Translate to try and make sense of the site (see here) but if you post a message on the board, you’re better off simply using English without resorting to any translation tool since the automatic machine translation provided by Google will produce rather unintelligible gibberish most of the time.

There’s also the Wanted section where you can read wanted ads for musicians (hobbyist or not) or post one where you’re seeking a band for yourself. Google Translate might help here as well. Note that it mistranslates puhaltimet, the Finnish term for wind instruments (literally “blowers”), as “fans”, as that Finnish word could be used to describe electric fans as well.
znark

Daniiiela

Re: Wind orchestras in Helsinki?

Post by Daniiiela » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Thank you for the answer! I'll definitely try that. =)