Juhannus

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
zirly

Juhannus

Post by zirly » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi, I'm writing a paper about Juhannus and I'd be very grateful if you could tell me something about the celabrations of the festival or virtually anything interesting that comes to your mind (origin, tradition, whatever). It doesn't matter whether you're finnish or living in Finland. Thank you all very much

Juhannus

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Adrian42

Re: Juhannus

Post by Adrian42 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:23 pm

zirly

Post by zirly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:18 am

yes, I've read the website before, but I'd wish to read some personal experience, thanks anyway

Adrian42

Post by Adrian42 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:52 am

zirly wrote:yes, I've read the website before, but I'd wish to read some personal experience, thanks anyway
You want other people to write your paper for you, because you are too lazy to search around a bit in the internet?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=juhannus+blog

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:14 am

Go rent the movie "Wicker Man" the old wan with Edward Woodward, not the new with Cage. Thats your best description of Juhannus. :lol:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

zirly

Post by zirly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:58 am

Adrian42 - of course not, I've got enough information about Juhannus from literature and internet too, what I'm looking for are personal experiences from people who were in Finland during the festival, their personal observations etc., what's wrong with that?

Adrian42

Post by Adrian42 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:26 am

zirly wrote:Adrian42 - of course not, I've got enough information about Juhannus from literature and internet too, what I'm looking for are personal experiences from people who were in Finland during the festival, their personal observations etc., what's wrong with that?
There's nothing wrong with that.

But if you want to read personal experiences, the link I gave already gives you access to those.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:22 am

Well, the cities are dead. I mean as in deader than a dodo. Everything closes, and some places don't open until August. I was working in a hotel reception in Vantaa and while we still had a couple hapless tourists staying over, all the restaurants were closed. There wasn't anything open in the whole of Tikkurila either. One recent immigrant had his pizzeria place open in Hakunila. He was totally overwhelmed - he asked "what is this happening" after the third delivery... heck, we ordered too. Had to explain to him he's the only place open in the whole of East Vantaa... "what is this, Juhannus, I mark it next year into my calendar, I go on holiday too... too much work!" :lol:

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Though there's a recent trend of young people staying in town for Juhannus (partly because the younger generations might not have mökkis to go to). They have urban retro versions of the traditional Juhannus open-air dance events with schlager/tango/etc. music.

video: We Love Helsinki Juhannustanssit 2013

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:28 pm

There were a few "neighbourhood party" type of happenings. For example at the Tali allotment gardens that has an ancient dace platform and clubhouse. I wouldn't be caught dead going to my mökki for Juhannus, I'd be bored to death worse than in town. But at some point going camping or then pulling the straws and seeing who is the sober driver with a bunch of lads wasn't the thing no more either.

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:17 pm

The locals usually take care of pending family matters during juhannus.
..some family matters may result a new addition in family during march/april of next year :mrgreen:
Image Image

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:13 pm

Pursuivant wrote: "what is this, Juhannus, I mark it next year into my calendar, I go on holiday too... too much work!" :lol:
That's what you call assimilation.

I can think of some immigrants who'd say "I mark it next year into my calendar, hire more peoples for this day. Make much moneys."
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:02 pm

It was mad - like in these scifi/horror movies where you go to a city and all the people had disappeared. Granted, it was in the mid-90's when a whole lot of places were still struggling after the recession.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:03 am

Oombongo wrote:The locals usually take care of pending family matters during juhannus.
"Today I settle all family business, so don't tell me you're sober."
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

kharnynb

Post by kharnynb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:29 am

Yep, juhannus means that downtown is empty except for a few japanese walking around looking very very lost indeed...

Most people drown because they drop from their boat while trying to take a wee. (found floating fully dressed with the zipper open).
It is indeed something finns bet on, though the deaths have gone down quite a lot in recent years.