Something interesting I noticed

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
subterraneans

Post by subterraneans » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:29 am

#1. I'm new here, hi. Though I've kind of been lurking :oops:

#2. I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to put something like this, but I made my best guess.

#3. What I wanted to talk about:

I have been reading about how the Finnish are when it comes to ah, social cues? I think that would be the best word to use. Especially when interacting with strangers (or the lack thereof, anyway :wink: ) and it was very relieving for me, to say the least. I thought it was kind of funny that I seemed to relate the mindset of a Finn and realized that it is probably because it shares some similarities with those with Asperger's. (This isn't meant to be an insult as I am on the spectrum.)

"Avoid eye contact or stare at others" (i've read about both accounts, where eye contact makes the Finnish uncomfortable, and i've read a lot about foreigners complaining that the Finnish like to stare at them :lol: though this staring thing may just be that the foreigner did something to make them stand out as 'different' or broke some kind of social conduct rule. Or maybe, since the Finnish don't really go talk to people they don't know, they are more content with staring in silence.)

"Have delayed motor development." (this is actually just a light-hearted jab, as I heard the driving in Finland is ridiculously bad :wink: don't take offense. Though I have also heard they are good drivers so? this just seems like some kind of generalization/stereotype I shouldn't take seriously)

"Dislike of small-talk"

"Taking things very literally" (I'm not entirely sure if this is really a common thing among the Finnish or if it is just a generalization, so correct me if i'm wrong)

I also heard the Finnish are very shy or maybe a little socially awkward? I suppose if it's part of ones culture to avoid much interaction with strangers, you would be a bit socially handicapped, at least from the point of view of a foreigner, but again, this may be an inaccurate generalization i've read about.

Anyway -- hopefully, again, no one took that offensively. If you did, you may not know much about Aspies, and have only heard weird/unpleasant/flat-out wrong things.

I just figured it would be interesting to mention, as it did interest me. :D I feel pretty good that whenever I do go to Finland (interested in studying there) I can kind of relax, as the way the people in the US generally tend to be when it comes to social interaction can be quite draining and make me very uncomfortable. I'm kind of a home-body for this reason. I can actually go outside in the future without being bombarded by people I don't know :lol:

"Whats love, but hate with a bit of friction?"

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

subterraneans

Re: Something interesting I noticed

Post by subterraneans » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:18 am

I meant to put this in culture & cuisine :oops:

cors187

Post by cors187 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:05 am

You really just need to be yourself, that will change others around you and vise-versa.
Take the pragmatic approach.
A lot of Finns can flip a coin and become either side of the social norms.
The longer you stay in Finland the easier it is for a foreigner to flip the coin, infact often being submerged for long peiods of time you will have too actively "pull out" the what was once your normal everday bravado festiva.

Finns are very social people around themes, like many people that come here you think that they are retarded at first,but im not from Europe and St petersburg russians are very similar to Finns compared to South Russians.So to me the Finnish Approach is no mystery.

subterraneans

Post by subterraneans » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:48 pm

cors187 wrote:You really just need to be yourself, that will change others around you and vise-versa.
Take the pragmatic approach.
A lot of Finns can flip a coin and become either side of the social norms.
The longer you stay in Finland the easier it is for a foreigner to flip the coin, infact often being submerged for long peiods of time you will have too actively "pull out" the what was once your normal everday bravado festiva.

Finns are very social people around themes, like many people that come here you think that they are retarded at first,but im not from Europe and St petersburg russians are very similar to Finns compared to South Russians.So to me the Finnish Approach is no mystery.
I'm not 100% sure about what you're trying to say, I'm sorry.
My post wasn't meat to be taken so seriously, it was kind of just a comparison based on social norms and something I always deal with, not meant to go any deeper into the real mentality... of course Finns aren't "retarded", and I wasn't claiming they were -- not everyone on the Autism spectrum is "retarded", many are quite capable and intelligent. Lots of us just come off as being kind of "quirky" I guess.
Anyway, I suppose I was just really trying to say that the social norms make sense to me, and it was a relief to know that the area I am much interested in approaches these kinds of things differently than those in the US. It was also an attempt to ...speak up...on a forum...as I've been lurking and not really existing around here, so I figured what better to do that than to point out something interesting?

I feel kind of embarrassed that I made this post now :lol:

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:43 pm

No worries mate, in Finland those who rode in on the short bus licking the windows smile all the time, say hello and talk to strangers.

We just think foreigners come in on short airplanes...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

cors187

Post by cors187 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:53 pm

so I figured what better to do that than to point out something interesting?
All good,
Its a good thread, i was just adding extra kindling.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:34 pm

"Avoid eye contact or stare at others"
I dont think this is correct intel.
There is 3 ways to walk past someone.
1.like they are a plant in the garden.
2.make eye contact(various eye/facial expressions)
3.Extra info depending on who,what, where

I think the eye contact is a rather normal way to say
"I know your not a plant"!