Low Sodium Liemi/Broth/Stock?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Kaiserin

Post by Kaiserin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:46 am

Hello everyone,

I was curious if anyone knew where I might acquire some low sodium broth/stock/liemi? I have checked in Prisma and the K-markets in the Turku area and have yet to find anything. I wondered if the low sodium varieties even exist here in Finland? If so, where might I acquire some?

I did a search on Google and found that Knorr and some other brand do exist, but they seem to be for sale only to wholesalers for some reason. :/

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

interleukin

Re: Low Sodium Liemi/Broth/Stock?

Post by interleukin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:57 am

Maybe stores like Ruohonjuuri would have it? (stores with an eco-profile). There´s one close to Aussie bar in Kamppi, also in Itis (or at least used to be).

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:03 pm

I have Marigold Organic Swiss Vegetable Bouillon Reduced Salt Dairy free Gluten Free powder in my store cupboard.

I bought it from Punnitse & Säästä.

But, to be honest, I can't see exactly how much salt is in it. It just says "Sea salt" in the ingredients without giving a precise %.

Rip

Post by Rip » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:33 am

Rosamunda wrote:I have Marigold Organic Swiss Vegetable Bouillon Reduced Salt Dairy free Gluten Free powder in my store cupboard.

I bought it from Punnitse & Säästä.

But, to be honest, I can't see exactly how much salt is in it. It just says "Sea salt" in the ingredients without giving a precise %.

If it is the same formula as here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marigold-Vegeta ... B001D8PJ90
per 100 gram: 10.3gram of Sodium
(that would equal 26 grams of NaCl)

harryc

Post by harryc » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:49 pm

And that's hardly LOW Sodium!

Low Sodium products which are generically 'salt' usually have the Sodium replaced by Potassium - sometimes magnesium - but the Magnesium Chloride will usually have more of its own taste - not always appreciated by everyone.

Kaiserin

Post by Kaiserin » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:18 am

Hey everyone! Thanks for the replies!

I have checked around the stores here and still have found nothing, so I will try the Ruohonjuuri shop since they sell something else there I was considering buying (peppermint extract!) for a special Christmas treat this year. I did find some shops online that sell lower salt soup bases, but the shipping is sometimes 5 times more than the product itself, so that is a no go.

I may just have to buckle down and make my own, but then I have to find a place that will sell meat bones. :roll:

harryc

Post by harryc » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:02 am

Jozo has a mineral salt that is about 70% less Na content - but neither Jozo nor retail shops seem to be interested in putting it on the shelf.

(it's in a 400g (?) green-topped dispenser)

K-Ruoholahti had it a few years ago - and had it priced at about 70 cents. I suspected it wouldn't stay on the market, cynic that I am - and also thought it was mis-priced in a favorable way for the consumer. So I bought MANY dozen fortunately - and also thus have given many away.

They also have a 50% Na Sea salt - again I have not seen it on any shelf in Hki area.

So if you're making your own stock - keep an eye out - or call Jozo to find out where you can get it.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:49 pm

Kaiserin wrote:
I may just have to buckle down and make my own, but then I have to find a place that will sell meat bones. :roll:
Well chicken stock is super easy. Buy a cooked chicken, eat the meat and then slowly boil up the carcass with some onions and carrots or some herbs. I do mine in the slow-cooker. I ahve no idea how much salt they put into the broileri that they grill in-store though. Probably some.

As for beef stock, just ask in your local supermarket eg a big Citymarket or a Prisma. I have had no problems getting fat (for making sausages) from my local supermarkets. Or, try Chef Wotkins in Sörnäinen (factory shop) or Stockmann's Herkku or the big meat counters in Hakaniemi market hall eg Reinin Liha.

I also noticed there is a butcher on Fredrikinkatu now. Towards the Punavuori end, on the "odd" side of the road.

Just noticed you are in Turku - but you could try Stockmann Herkku, the indoor Kauppahalli etc

Rip

Post by Rip » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:30 am

harryc wrote:Jozo has a mineral salt that is about 70% less Na content - but neither Jozo nor retail shops seem to be interested in putting it on the shelf.
If one approaches the question that way, I think brand name "Seltin" mineral salt with only 50% NaCl is sold in most supermarkets (the rest is at least mostly KCl)

With food one would probably use it more than regular NaCl, but A) perhaps not twice as much and B) and certainly at least part of the research has seemed to be indicating that the reducing ratio of Na/K in your diet would be good for you even if the amount of Na is not reduced.

harryc

Post by harryc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:55 pm

Seltin has 10% Magnesium Sulphate - gives the stuff a lousy taste -

Magnesium Sulphate is Epsom Salts and I use it for soaking my feet - if I leave the water for some hours the room starts to have a 'rotten egg' smell - thanks to the Sulphur (H2S - the rotten egg gas is a relative)

Also the Seltin is much more expensive than the Jozo - and is 50% NaCl rather than 30%.

kiwijim

Post by kiwijim » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:35 am

Why not make your own? Just all natural broth or stock and no E numbers. :lightbulb:
Image Image

harryc

Post by harryc » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:01 am

Perfectly good question. If you are not going to use the stock right away - it will have to be frozen anyhow. Some salt will let you keep in the fridge for a few days but not much longer.

Salt will be needed later in the final product - and then you can use your low sodium salt of choice - I have found the green Jozo to be great at 70% less Na (doesn't contain sulphates which IMO give a 'bad' taste).

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:29 am

- Roast some slightly seasoned vegetables in the oven.

- Simmer some chicken bones and/or drum sticks in 500ml of slightly seasoned water, but don't let it boil.

- Remove the vegetables and eat as snack.

- Drain the water into your oven pan and mix with the vegetables' residue and heat. Boil and reduce to your liking.

- Optional: Add 5g of MSG to every 100ml of final stock.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.