any place to learn/play/sing folk music?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Evaphio

Post by Evaphio » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:38 pm

I'd like to find some places (not like Sibelius Academy, but just as a hobby) where it is possible to learn some folk music and play/sing it in a group of people.
It can be any kind of folk, I especially would like to find something Armenian/Finnish/Russian/Ukrainian/Balkan etc.

Or maybe some choir...?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Re: any place to learn/play/sing folk music?

Post by Jukka Aho » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:40 pm

Evaphio wrote:I'd like to find some places (not like Sibelius Academy, but just as a hobby) where it is possible to learn some folk music and play/sing it in a group of people.
It can be any kind of folk, I especially would like to find something Armenian/Finnish/Russian/Ukrainian/Balkan etc.
  1. Visit Muusikoiden.net. Check out their "(Musicians) Wanted" ads and discussion forum. (You may want to use Google Translate to your (dis)advantage.)
  2. Attend to the Kaustinen Folk Music Festival next year. (Alas, you just missed it for this year.)
Evaphio wrote:Or maybe some choir...?
See here for some pointers. Especially this list.
znark

Rosamunda

Re: any place to learn/play/sing folk music?

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:17 pm

https://www.facebook.com/HKIfolk

This club meets one a month. I think it is quite a small group but they are very active and organise regular social events.