【Trip】I'm supposed to visit Finland in Dec.24th to 26th

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Post Reply
kinut
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:29 am

【Trip】I'm supposed to visit Finland in Dec.24th to 26th

Post by kinut » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:46 am

As you guys might know, in Finland, Dec 24th to 26th aren't better day to travel:(
Because almost all shopping malls and the places to visit will be closed in Christmas day.

However, I have to celebrate my younger sister's success that she passed the University in which she had wanted to enroll.
And, we decided to travel Europe but unfortunately, because of her schedule, we had to travel in Finland on the date I said above.

We will be arriving at Helsinki Vantaan int' airport at 15:10 pm in local time in December 24th.
and we're planning to go on a trip to Tallin for a day trip in December 25th (because I don't think we could enjoy something in Helsinki)

So, would you mind if you tell me something or somewhere we can eat or visit after our arrival in December 24th?
I know Finnish people don't get out or hang out with friends or family in these days, yet, I'm sorry to ask you to find this kind of info,
I really would like to know it cuz her success.

Thank you beforehand,

Kinut



【Trip】I'm supposed to visit Finland in Dec.24th to 26th

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

User avatar
Beep_Boop
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Niflheim, Suomi

Re: 【Trip】I'm supposed to visit Finland in Dec.24th to 26th

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:49 am

Even on Christmas Eve (Dec 24th), many pubs and restaurants are open. Personally, I like to grab a bite in some pub where I can have a good beer with it, so I recommend Bryggeri on Sofiankatu and Teerenpeli in Kamppi.
As for visiting or sightseeing, I think your options are gonna be very limited. By the time you're in the center, it will be dark and most places would have closed. I'd say go see Temppeliaukion kirkko, Suurkirkko, and then walk down Esplanadi.

Also, an FYI as general knowledge about Finland, graduating from a Finnish university is hardly an achievement (even easier if it's a university of applied sciences). You basically have to show up and soak in the bare minimum of information and you'll most likely pass. The teachers, supervisor, thesis coordinator, etc. all are incentivized to get you to graduate so they don't lose the precious government money. If you get stuck at any point, everybody is more than happy to give you a "nudge", if you know what I mean. I've seen it happen more than I care to count.
Every f*cking application is unique.You can't measure the result of your application based on random anecdotes online. Stop being a moron!


betelgeuse
Posts: 2621
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: 【Trip】I'm supposed to visit Finland in Dec.24th to 26th

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:37 am

adnan wrote: Also, an FYI as general knowledge about Finland, graduating from a Finnish university is hardly an achievement (even easier if it's a university of applied sciences). You basically have to show up and soak in the bare minimum of information and you'll most likely pass. The teachers, supervisor, thesis coordinator, etc. all are incentivized to get you to graduate so they don't lose the precious government money. If you get stuck at any point, everybody is more than happy to give you a "nudge", if you know what I mean. I've seen it happen more than I care to count.
Unnecessary and rude give the topic. Graduating primary school is easy but people still celebrate it and we don't really know what the person has studied.


User avatar
Beep_Boop
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Niflheim, Suomi

Re: 【Trip】I'm supposed to visit Finland in Dec.24th to 26th

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:09 pm

betelgeuse wrote:Unnecessary and rude give the topic.
I don't think so.
I also say the same exact thing about my own degrees that I studied for in Finland. I was far from being the brightest in my class, and still managed to underachieve my way though Finnish schools.
Every f*cking application is unique.You can't measure the result of your application based on random anecdotes online. Stop being a moron!


kinut
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:29 am

Re: 【Trip】I'm supposed to visit Finland in Dec.24th to 26th

Post by kinut » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:28 am

adnan wrote:Even on Christmas Eve (Dec 24th), many pubs and restaurants are open. Personally, I like to grab a bite in some pub where I can have a good beer with it, so I recommend Bryggeri on Sofiankatu and Teerenpeli in Kamppi.
As for visiting or sightseeing, I think your options are gonna be very limited. By the time you're in the center, it will be dark and most places would have closed. I'd say go see Temppeliaukion kirkko, Suurkirkko, and then walk down Esplanadi.

Wooow, Mr or Ms. Ardan. I'm so grateful for your kindness, due or ma'm:) I'm really glad to know those information.
I'm sorry to ask you a question, sur or ma'm but how about public transportation in Dec.24th, still working or stopping?

Also, an FYI as general knowledge about Finland, graduating from a Finnish university is hardly an achievement (even easier if it's a university of applied sciences). You basically have to show up and soak in the bare minimum of information and you'll most likely pass. The teachers, supervisor, thesis coordinator, etc. all are incentivized to get you to graduate so they don't lose the precious government money. If you get stuck at any point, everybody is more than happy to give you a "nudge", if you know what I mean. I've seen it happen more than I care to count.
I'm sorry but I'm not sure above your opinion.
If you don't care, would you tell me what it is?


Jukka Aho
Posts: 5238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:46 am
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: 【Trip】I'm supposed to visit Finland in Dec.24th to 26th

Post by Jukka Aho » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:33 am

kinut wrote:So, would you mind if you tell me something or somewhere we can eat or visit after our arrival in December 24th?
Just google for restaurants and hotels in Helsinki. Pick one which looks nice enough for you, and check out their website for contact details. Ask if they do a Christmas buffet on the December 24th (be sure to check out at what time as well) and if you could book a table. Many of them do, but it might still be too early for them to advertise it.

Here are some examples:

http://assets.hotelkamp.fi/lps/assets/u ... IN-ENG.pdf

https://www.sokoshotels.fi/en/special-o ... 845_419563

http://ravintolasunn.fi/joulu/

http://brasseriekamp.fi/en/joulumenu/

http://skafur-tour.fi/christmas-vacation-in-helsinki/

http://www.tallinksilja.com/en/web/int/ ... ar-cruises

http://www.stromma.fi/en/helsinki/dinin ... th-dinner/
kinut wrote:I know Finnish people don't get out or hang out with friends or family in these days
Christmas has traditionally been a family-oriented festivity in Finland. That is, centered around your own nuclear family and home, maybe also involving grandparents. They might come to your place, or you might go visit them with your kids.

When I was a kid, our family had for the longest time a tradition of celebrating the Christmas Eve at my grandparents from Dad’s side — his siblings and their kids were also there — and the Christmas Day at my grandparents from my Mom’s side (likewise, her siblings and their kids used to visit Granny and Grampa on that day.)
znark


User avatar
Pursuivant
Posts: 15094
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:51 am
Location: Bath & Wells

Re: 【Trip】I'm supposed to visit Finland in Dec.24th to 26th

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:39 pm

graduating from a Finnish university
Come on now, they're only just celebrating getting in, graduating is a long way ahead :wink:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."


007
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:01 pm

Re: 【Trip】I'm supposed to visit Finland in Dec.24th to 26th

Post by 007 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:12 am

It all boils down to individual choices. For me, it's a party time. Some have their parents invited over from abroad and post pics standing alongside the proud parents on Facebook....
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"


kinut
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:29 am

Re: 【Trip】I'm supposed to visit Finland in Dec.24th to 26th

Post by kinut » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:17 pm

Jukka Aho wrote:
kinut wrote:So, would you mind if you tell me something or somewhere we can eat or visit after our arrival in December 24th?
Just google for restaurants and hotels in Helsinki. Pick one which looks nice enough for you, and check out their website for contact details. Ask if they do a Christmas buffet on the December 24th (be sure to check out at what time as well) and if you could book a table. Many of them do, but it might still be too early for them to advertise it.

Here are some examples:

http://assets.hotelkamp.fi/lps/assets/u ... IN-ENG.pdf

https://www.sokoshotels.fi/en/special-o ... 845_419563

http://ravintolasunn.fi/joulu/

http://brasseriekamp.fi/en/joulumenu/

http://skafur-tour.fi/christmas-vacation-in-helsinki/

http://www.tallinksilja.com/en/web/int/ ... ar-cruises

http://www.stromma.fi/en/helsinki/dinin ... th-dinner/
kinut wrote:I know Finnish people don't get out or hang out with friends or family in these days
Christmas has traditionally been a family-oriented festivity in Finland. That is, centered around your own nuclear family and home, maybe also involving grandparents. They might come to your place, or you might go visit them with your kids.

When I was a kid, our family had for the longest time a tradition of celebrating the Christmas Eve at my grandparents from Dad’s side — his siblings and their kids were also there — and the Christmas Day at my grandparents from my Mom’s side (likewise, her siblings and their kids used to visit Granny and Grampa on that day.)
Thank you, sir. I'm really grateful for your kindness) I'm gonna read them soon! Thank you so much, sir.


Post Reply