Metal/Rock in Finland

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
MetalBack96

Metal/Rock in Finland

Post by MetalBack96 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Hei! I'm a rock musician from Spain and I'm wondering what's about Finland's underground scene, I mean, Is Rock and Roll really ALIVE there? I'm really thinking about move on to Helsinki since I'd like to live there, to know the culture and, foremost, being a professional player. I will appreciate tips and advices about moving, living and anything I've got to do in Finland. It's a long term idea I'd want to make real when I'll have finished it. Thanks a lot in advance ^^

Metal/Rock in Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

wolf80

Re: Metal/Rock in Finland

Post by wolf80 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:13 pm

If as a musician you don't know anything about the music scene in Finland then why consider moving here? Seems you don't know the country well enough to make a decision. Visit first, then decide.

MetalBack96

Post by MetalBack96 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Thank you for the advice. In deed I'm thinking about living there for a few months to know what's about the country but that's why I'm posting. I'm posting to know about Finland Rock Scene since I've known about groups like Santa Cruz or Reckless love, I'd like to know what's happening in Finland's underground just because there's nothing happening in mine. I'm doubting between Sweden and Finland but I'm more interested in Finland somehow.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon May 02, 2016 12:28 am

MetalBack96 wrote:I'm posting to know about Finland Rock Scene since I've known about groups like Santa Cruz or Reckless love, I'd like to know what's happening in Finland's underground just because there's nothing happening in mine.
You might want to post your questions to the Muusikoiden.net discussion forum:

https://muusikoiden.net/keskustelu/conferences.php

Also see their “Wanted” ads section:

https://muusikoiden.net/wanted/index.ph ... l&type=all

(Google Translate might be of some help when navigating the forum and for finding the relevant topics. But it is probably better to post your questions in English rather than try to machine-translate them.)
znark

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Mon May 02, 2016 2:19 am

Jukka Aho wrote:(But it is probably better to post your questions in English rather than try to machine-translate them.)
I will reinforce what Jukka says here.

You may have seen Google translations into Spanish and thought "Hm, well, that's a little bit funny but not too bad." (Or maybe it's really bad, I don't know.)

But translating into Finnish with Google translate will get you such ridiculous garbage that you will look like a fool. In some parts of Google's Finnish output it will be completely impossible to understand what you mean or what you originally said in English. Finns are much better at English than Google is at Finnish.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

MetalBack96

Post by MetalBack96 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:19 am

Thank you all a lot for your responses. I just found muusikoiden a weeks ago but I wasn't really sure about whether I could post in english or not. I will post something asking about metal scenes in finland and the best places to be in. Finally... Do you know any website which can help me to learn finnish? Thank you, guys, you rock!!

angelcorpse

Post by angelcorpse » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:18 pm

What do you mean by "metal scene"? Depends a lot from the city and area too. I am an extreme metaller (mostly into black/death/doom/grind) and do not think I belong to any scene, although I am based in Hyvinkää and meet fellow Finnish and not metalheads at gigs or venues.
Summoned from the Void

angelcorpse

Post by angelcorpse » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:24 pm

http://www.infopankki.fi/en/living-in-f ... ish-online
I think you can find some sources to learn Finnish online here. From what you write I assume you are a complete beginner.
As regards muusikoiden.net I´m sure you´ll find someone who is willing to speak English - just have a go.
Summoned from the Void