Things to do and see in Helsinki

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Siili3

Post by Siili3 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Hello everyone!

I am going to Helsinki and I have never been before. I know there is a lot to do and see but I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations? Preferably in or around the city center.
I would like to see iconic places, museums, maybe churches and just fun places to learn about Finnish culture on a student-friendly budget.
You can also include what food places to try!
thank you! :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sinikala

Re: Things to do and see in Helsinki

Post by sinikala » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:47 am

You're on the wrong website. Go to http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:43 am

Suomenlinna is beautiful, especially right now as the lilac is in bloom and you can smell the scent even from the ferry on the way over. The public ferry costs the same as a bus ticket (ie a couple of euros) and on the island you can roam around all day for free, take a picnic, fly a kite, explore the underground passages, take photos, watch the tourists... The museums aren't free but you can wander into some of the artists' and craftspeople's workshops for free. Even on a wet and windy day the place has some magic to it. But on a hot,sunny day it is overwhelmed with tourists and locals picnicing.

The market places are fun too: Hakkaniemi and Hietelahden market halls are in walking distance of the main railway station (if you enjoy walking, that is) and you can eat there. There are also some reasonable Street Food vendors.

As for churches: Uspenski cathedral (Russian orthodox) is spectacular. The "Rock Church" is more iconically Finnish.

joukovaarala

Post by joukovaarala » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:24 pm

The best to get you started with Helsinki is to participate one of the Free Walking Tours
https://www.facebook.com/greencaptourshelsinki/