English speaking daycare

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
jwesthues

English speaking daycare

Post by jwesthues » Wed May 14, 2003 8:48 am

Does anyone know the names and locations of English-speaking daycare facilities in the Helsinki/Espoo/Vantaa area?

Thanks,
Jukka

English speaking daycare

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Sara

Post by Sara » Wed May 14, 2003 9:41 am

There are plenty of them around.

Stawy away from one called Sunrise on Lauttasaari, I went for a interview for a day and it was the worst place Ive been to!

There is something called International childcare centre in Herttoniemi, they also have another kindergarten near Tapiola and I was very impressed with these two. They run from the English Key stage program and use 'teaching through fun'. The staff were friendly and the children seemed very happy and they were doing interesting projects.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed May 14, 2003 11:14 am

I pass one daily on a bus - its where Leppävaara north turns into Lintuvaara... Albatross or something?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Wed May 14, 2003 11:22 am

Hi Jukka,

The Ullalinna Montessori School is a very good option. When I visited it, children seemed very happy and the staff (all native English speakers) looked very professional.

There's another English speaking Montessori school in Kamppi.And I suppose, both the International and the English school have day-care facilities.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed May 14, 2003 11:26 am

International Childcare and Education Centre
http://www.playlearn.com

Helsinki American English Montessori School
http://www.montessoriconnections.com
Telephone: +358 9 694 9965

Young Star English DayCare Centre
http://www.ys2000.com

Päiväkoti Arkki, Architecture School for Children
http://www.arkki.net

Oulunkyla English Language Daycare
Telephone +358 9 728 3965

Finnish Russian Daycare Idelia
Telephone +358 9 325 0221

French Language Playschool
Telephone +358 9 452 4047

Garden City Playschool
+358 9 4556230

Sunrise Playschool
+358 9 8789 5920

Krabbelgruppe
German Speaking Kindergarten
http://www.germanembassy.fi/partner

Espoo City Schools Office on +358 9 806 551

And there is one used to be run by YES in Tikkurila, but it is city run now.
Cheers, Hank W.

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Wed May 14, 2003 2:18 pm

Hank are all of those in the Helsinki area?

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed May 14, 2003 3:15 pm

As far as I can tell from the telephone area code
Cheers, Hank W.

ujutila

Post by ujutila » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:36 pm

I see that this discussion is quite old. But I'm posting a reply anyway, since Google is giving this page.

An excellent English Kindergarten Helsinki English Language Montessori Preschool
http://www.helsinkienglishmontessori.com/

Why excellent?
It's situated in Kamppi, excellent traffic connections.
It's open 7:45-17 (so it's for working people too)
Meals are provided.
It's also Montessori. If you want your child to learn something and not just having a good time and being taken care of. Montessori is a method of teaching children in a manner suitable for them. It's about giving curious active children a chance to learn.

Br,
Ulla Jutila

AO

Post by AO » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:13 pm

I work at the Ullanlinna Pre-school so if you have any questions about that school- feel free to ask! :)
~Amber~

bubble

Post by bubble » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:11 pm

This is a total list of Private daycare centres in Helsinki, its fairly easy to work out the english ones although everyones replies above seem to have them all covered.

http://www.hel.fi/paivahoito/pk_y/index.htm
Bubble
Just when you thought you saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was just some bugger coming towards you with a torch!

bubble

Post by bubble » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:17 pm

Old, to right its old! Only by two years!

Didn't notice at first, oh well the info maybe of use to someone.
Bubble
Just when you thought you saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was just some bugger coming towards you with a torch!

kwallette

Post by kwallette » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:40 am

I would definately, definately stay away from the English day care called Young Star. I'm not the only one who holds this opinion. Others I have talked to about this place (who do not belong to this site) have told me the same thing.
I was just doing it, you stupid woman. I just put it down to come here to be reminded by you to do what I'm already doing! I mean what's the point of reminding me to do what I'm already doing...

pyanev

Post by pyanev » Mon May 02, 2005 9:44 am

:?:
Last edited by pyanev on Tue May 03, 2005 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwallette

Post by kwallette » Mon May 02, 2005 1:49 pm

I was just doing it, you stupid woman. I just put it down to come here to be reminded by you to do what I'm already doing! I mean what's the point of reminding me to do what I'm already doing...

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Mon May 02, 2005 4:53 pm

Well, without turning this into a putting-down session I wish to share my personal experience of Young Star... It admittedly dates some years back now so those responsible may well have changed. Anyway, I made a telephone enquiry regarding their activities and they promised to send me a leaflet - which indeed I did receive but it was absolutely appalling! Shabby, cheap-looking and most of all so full of mistakes I read through it with a red biro... I would NEVER have the person responsible for that printed matter teach a child of mine! In addition, the person on the phone was clearly foreign but with a heavy accent (NON-English/American) and got my name completely wrong, it was a wonder the leaflet ever reached me... Fair enough, my firstname is Finnish but my surname is British and not that odd. I spelled both, clearly and concisely, something I got more than accustomed to whilst living in Britain. No problems being understood in the past.

Now, I do not consider all that a very good advertisement and although I was pretty desperate for English speaking daycare for my eldest at the time, I would not have considered Young Star...

As said, that was my experience and it was some time ago so by all means, do give them the benefit of the doubt.
"Sitaatti on älyn säihkyvä korvike" (Jukka Virtanen)