English teaching in Joensuu

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Lesley

Post by Lesley » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:57 pm

Hi
I'm looking for part time or full time English teaching work in Joensuu starting in August. Neither of the universities has an opening, but I would imagine that I could work privately or with another organization.
(I have a Cert of English Lanugage Teaching plus an MA in Linguistics/TESOL (Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages) & have taught fo 7 years).
Anybody any ideas on how to find a job?
Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:03 pm

You can either contact some of the (bigger) language schools in Helsinki and ask them if they have any work in Joensuu or you can set yourself up as a freelance teacher and look for private business. With your experience and qualifications you shouldn't have a problem finding some work but it might be only "parttime". BTW, teaching is usually quiet during the summer. I take June and July as holiday.

The bigger schools in Helsinki include AAC Global, EF, Josbel (?), maybe Berlitz.

There must be some language schools in Joensuu already, have you looked in the phone book? You could also try contacting the local Education Authority "koulutuskeskus" they may know of some opportunities in high schools.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:04 pm

You can either contact some of the (bigger) language schools in Helsinki and ask them if they have any work in Joensuu or you can set yourself up as a freelance teacher and look for private business. With your experience and qualifications you shouldn't have a problem finding some work but it might be only "parttime". BTW, teaching is usually quiet during the summer. I take June and July as holiday.

The bigger schools in Helsinki include AAC Global, EF, Josbel (?), maybe Berlitz.

There must be some language schools in Joensuu already, have you looked in the phone book? You could also try contacting the local Education Authority "koulutuskeskus" they may know of some opportunities in high schools.