Being pregnant in Finland - experiences

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
onkko

Re: Being pregnant in Finland - experiences

Post by onkko » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:01 pm

Upphew wrote:
onkko wrote:Heres maternity package with pictures http://www.kela.fi/in/internet/english. ... enDocument
And here is how to claim it http://www.kela.fi/in/internet/english. ... enDocument
Wtf, if one lets the little critter out to play in snow, how one is supposed to find it again?!?
Well in that age you dont move much so probably its where you put it :)
I scared !"#¤% out of my mom tho, i did learn to roll withouth warning and rolled under sofa while mom was cooking :)

Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Kinku

Post by Kinku » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:17 pm

The snow suit is 60-80cm. so I guess it is actually not for very newborn, but for something already half year old?

I see the smallest size is 44cm. probably that is right for newborn. do they really need any cloth, after all?

I saw my baby is a mighty girl. Vow! everything pink! :P

tunkkari

Post by tunkkari » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:11 pm

newborn will probably fit in about a 60 or 54 if small like my son was, although the snowsuit its large for being a 60 if i remember right.

Just saw my little nipper today for the first time so chuffed to bits to see it is ok and moving about, hopefully will find out the sex with the next scan :)

Amandine.K

Post by Amandine.K » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:36 pm

44 cm is a preemie size. For a newborn you are looking at size 50 if it is a small baby or 54. My son was 53cm but 4kg380 so he didn't fit long in the 54 cm, not at all in the 50cm. The Kela snowsuit is very big. We used it when Aaron was about 3 months old and it lasted all winter!

Kinku

Post by Kinku » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:52 pm

I just find this swaddle from some baby staff shop page. Have any of you used it before? what do you think? would it be better than use some newborn cloth?

does baby need to wear something else inside?

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:28 pm

Can you clear something up, Kinku?

In this thread, you seem to be claiming you're a woman.
Kinku wrote: Have you ever tried Amniocentesis test here in Finland? Since I noticed pregnant so late, in 14th week, so I missed the 12th week blood test. I am just trying to cover the lose of that. nurse informed me the miscarriage rate for Amniocentesis is 1%, which is ten times higher than what is informed in USA or UAE. So I wonder if there is anything different or special about Amniocentesis here.
thanks!
But in that other thread, you seem to be claiming you're a man, the natural father of a baby-in-progress that will have a different father by marriage.
Kinku wrote:Don't you see that I want the baby?! I can pay and I want to pay the child support. I want to spend time with the coming child. I can do all I can for it.

I am not one of those bad guys who just f*ck and leave.
So you can see how someone might wonder what you're really up to.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Kinku

Post by Kinku » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:42 pm

:D I think I have answered that question after EP's post.

I was just asking a general question in another thread. But people start to use "you" and adjust me as bad guy. That is why I start to pick up "I" to defend.

I am quite serious here to get some tips for being a good mother! :P

biscayne

Post by biscayne » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:19 am

Em, I'm not sure about the miscarriage rate for Amniocentesis in the USA or the UAE being 10 times less than 1%, ie: 0.01%. I doubt those figures are given to any woman. The usual rate which is given to lay people for Amnio is 1% and for CVS (chorionic villus sampling or biopsy) is roughly 2%, the reason being that while CVS is not necessarily more dangerous than Amnio, it is done in the first trimester where there is a greater liklihood of miscarriage anyway. There is dispute about those figures, the world expert in fetal medicine Kypros Nikolaides for example does not agree with them, he reckons the risk is higher, and the exact information which we are told to give to women is always changing, but, I have never, ever heard that it could be as low as 0.01%. Regarding having the actual test, if you are over 37, then it is recommended, but of course completely up to you.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:25 am

I think there's often confusion about an incidence or prevalence of 1% and an incidence or prevalence of 0.01, which are of course the same thing. It's seldom very long before someone who doesn't understand the second form combines both forms and cites an incidence or prevalence of 0.01 percent. And then the mistake gets passed down the line. Even people who understand the difference can easily receive information that is off by a factor of 100 when someone up the line made that mistake.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

ajl

Post by ajl » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:04 am

I had an amnio in the US in Oct or Nov '03, they said the risk of miscarriage was 1 in 400 when I had it, was
due at the end of April 04 for points of reference.
moving is in the bad <-> crazy continuum

Gigi

Post by Gigi » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:20 am

Kinku wrote:The snow suit is 60-80cm. so I guess it is actually not for very newborn, but for something already half year old?

I see the smallest size is 44cm. probably that is right for newborn. do they really need any cloth, after all?

I saw my baby is a mighty girl. Vow! everything pink! :P
The opinions about ÄP differ. I have taken it for my first born and I will take it also for my 2nd. The sizes differ from 60 to 70 cm. They are a bit big for a newborn, but you can use them of course. I have bought extra clothes in size 56cm for just in the beginning, but they grow out of those very quickly. BUT again that actually also depends on how tall your baby is when it is born.

About the snowsuit, I haven't been able to use that one with my first born, as it was too big last winter and now it is already too small. And it is not an ideal snowsuit for a child who likes to crawl around inside and outside. As my 2nd one will be born in April, I am hoping that I can use it next autumn/winter. You are due in March and probably you might need still a snowsuit for your baby. If you want to buy one I would suggest to wait for the sales or even go 2nd hand.

Kinku wrote:I just find this swaddle from some baby staff shop page. Have any of you used it before? what do you think? would it be better than use some newborn cloth?
I didn't have one for my 1st born, but I am planning to get one for this one. As our 1st one had "koliikki" and wrapping him helped a lot, but I am not so handy in doing it with a normal blanket. I was thinking of buying this one: http://www.sisukas.net/components/com_v ... c18cad.jpg
Kinku wrote:when did you started baby cloth shopping?
Here I noticed a big culture difference between my family and my Finnish friends. My mom started shopping immediately after my 12w ultra. My Finnish friends often waited until their maternity leave started. I started some serious shopping when I was 7m along. We bought our pram when I was 5m, but we bought it 2nd hand and it was just the one I was looking for. :roll: :roll:
As I am well equipped now, I won't do any extra shopping until my maternity leave. There are some things I want for this one, but nothing I couldn't live without!

Oh and be prepared when you go shopping... There are many unnecessary things in the shop. You can spend lots of money on things you really don't need. I had made a list for myself of what I needed, also concerning clothes (you don't want to end up with 15 pieces of size 62 and only 5 of size 56 - or only skirts...) and I have done my best to stick to that list... it worked out rather well... indeed rather well... :oops: :wink:

greetz

Kinku

Post by Kinku » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:59 pm

thanks for your answer. I think the shopping list is really necessary since my mother, my hubby and I will start to shop from all three very different countries. :D

I actually think 2nd hand winter accessories might be a choice because baby mostly come in the end of March and soon in May weather will be warm. The baby sling is a good idea. :) so I can carry baby with me out without much other accessories.

Talking about amnio test, I just had it yesterday. The actual sample picking takes about 2 minutes. But the whole process cost me more than 500 euro, total cost more than 800 euro if without KELA card. I had it in Mehilainen. I asked doctor about miscarriage rate, she said the 1% is tested from 80s. Because there need sample group, then following up and other work. So there was not update after that. But since ultra sound and other technology improvement, the actual miscarriage rate of amnio test is not very high. Till now I still feel OK, so I hope everything is OK.

abraxasss

Post by abraxasss » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Hey everybody,
I have been actually reading this post in April and decided that maybe it's time and I should be brave enough to make a big step :).
Here I am being pregnant with a due date in the end of March. Everything seems to be normal and stressless (except for the stupid flue madness) and I am so glad I have taken this step. So thank you very much for sharing everything you go/went through.

Henry-Finland

Post by Henry-Finland » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:05 am

Hi Gigi!

To give birth in a room with many woman?
Not a problem: Put your guy on a "baby-course" and he can attend the birth-giving procedure. And I can assure you, as I have made this many times, that there were no other women around giving birth. And that was good, as the process is so overwhelming, that I would probably have helped them too.

OK. Your guy is a chicken? Well, I was afraid too, the first time. After that I always wanted be with my wife/wives. (Yes, several and you do not want to hear about it.)
What a man can do:
- back-massage under the long hours before the real work begins.
- read poems for the wife that he has written for the occation.
- be there - very appreciated, they have told me later.
- be the firts one to wash the child and put her/him in a blanket and THEN, return the baby to the mother and see her face! I can assure you that not any Rembrant or those other guys have ever been able to paint that moment. [After this you know what angels looks like.]

Then a warning: Do not let the man drive a car directly after that they have hushed him out of the hospital, assuring that he really can come back the time sheduled.
He will just stand there outside and cry and laugh at the same time, trying to find his car. Do you think that kind of person should drive a car? NO!
I myself, the first time, had to stop the car beside (fortunately) the road as I could not see it in broad daylight. I did not know why I cried. If the police would have seen me in that condition...

Anyhow, nothing to be afraid of. It is the moment(s) of life. Well, it is life, a new life.
And I know that guys here, that has not been with their loves, do not believe me, but I do not care. I know.

Henry

http://provillage.wordpress.com/category/in-english/
and
http://provillage.wordpress.com/

EP

Post by EP » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:12 am

I myself, the first time, had to stop the car beside (fortunately) the road as I could not see it in broad daylight. I did not know why I cried. If the police would have seen me in that condition...
:) The first time my husband could not even find his car, it was parked somewhere streetside in Eira. Next morning he found himself from somewhere in Hietalahti. On foot, in snow.