Ultrasound

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Suvetar

Ultrasound

Post by Suvetar » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Am I the only pregnant woman that thinks that getting the first ultrasound at 12 weeks is too late?
In the country I am from, you get it almost immediately when you announce your pregnancy, just to see if everything's going well. I think it's a bit nicer than waiting and not knowing for 12 weeks, if the baby lives, if he's ok etc :ohno:
For my 1st pregnancy in here I had to go to a private doc to get a ultrasound at 8 weeks, because I was really worried (I had a miscarriage before my daughter so my everyday routine was stress, stress and stress), but it cost me INSANE amount of money, for a 5min ultrasound with next to no explanation, just to see the baby's heart beating.
I don't mind not having so many ultrasounds further in the pregnancy, as the baby moves and it is then harder to think that the baby's dead. :ohno:
Yea I might sound impatient...Well I am. I'm only 6 weeks pregnant, I have time to count the days before I can see if my child lives. Until then, I'll hold my breath. :thumbsdown:

Ultrasound

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Re: Ultrasound

Post by onkko » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Youre in country with most of childrens will born and with no costs.
Ultrasound wont help you or your child, if he is one to die then he dies. Sorry.
Dont stress it, it will born if something isnt wrong and if something is wrong doctor will see it.
Your stress inflikts on baby so learn how to relax.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Misku

Post by Misku » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:29 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Like Onkko said, these services are provided at no cost to the mother (well, if you don't count taxes), so I think it's quite understandable that any care deemed unnecessary would be cut out. I also elected to go for an early ultrasound (at 8 weeks) to make sure everything was ok. It cost around 30 euros, and the doctor was very attentive and spent a lot of time with us. It seemed like a minor expense for peace of mind...especially considering I won't have to pay for care later on.

If you're feeling really stressed, why not just go for an early ultrasound again (and maybe pick a different doctor this time)? Best of luck!

Suvetar

Post by Suvetar » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Misku wrote:Congratulations on your pregnancy! Like Onkko said, these services are provided at no cost to the mother (well, if you don't count taxes), so I think it's quite understandable that any care deemed unnecessary would be cut out. I also elected to go for an early ultrasound (at 8 weeks) to make sure everything was ok. It cost around 30 euros, and the doctor was very attentive and spent a lot of time with us. It seemed like a minor expense for peace of mind...especially considering I won't have to pay for care later on.

If you're feeling really stressed, why not just go for an early ultrasound again (and maybe pick a different doctor this time)? Best of luck!
30 euros? Only? Wow! Where did you get it? At a regular hospital? Because I got mine for like 150 euros at a private clinic...Thought they wouldn't agree to give one "for nothing" (meaning no major pain or bleeding) at the public hospital.

Misku

Post by Misku » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:42 pm

Wow, that *is* expensive, esp if the service was bad. I live in Hämeenlinna at the moment and went to Hämeen Lääkärikulma (http://www.laakarikulma.fi/). Not sure if that's any help to you though.

Suvetar

Post by Suvetar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks :) I might ask at Neuvola if it's possible to have an early ultrasound, I have an appointment there soonish...