Car Seats in Finland

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Niblet

Car Seats in Finland

Post by Niblet » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:19 am

Debating whether to bring ours. We have so much luggage as it is.

We're not planning on getting a car, but will be taking taxis from time to time. Will taxis take young children without car seats? Only certain ones will in the UK.

Sorry such a silly question, but so many things rattling through my head as we get ready to make the big move.

Thanks in advance.

Car Seats in Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Car Seats in Finland

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:00 am

Some got car seats, but you need to order one in advance.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Rip

Post by Rip » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:05 am

Niblet wrote:Debating whether to bring ours. We have so much luggage as it is.

We're not planning on getting a car, but will be taking taxis from time to time. Will taxis take young children without car seats? Only certain ones will in the UK.
They do as far as I know (personal experience is limited to airport-taxis alone). It is an accepted exception to the general legal requirement to use a safety seat.

If you order in advance, you should be able to get one pick to one from a station (meter will be ticking). Of course buying one from here (also second hand, especially for only occasional use) is a possibility too.

munji

Post by munji » Sun May 02, 2010 10:31 am

Niblet wrote:Will taxis take young children without car seats?
Taxis do take children (even new borns) without child seats. Ones less than 3yrs can not be in front seat and could be without seat belts/restraints. The reliable page I know (at Autoliitto.fi) says
Carriage of children
New regulations from 1.5.2006

When transporting a child under 135 cm in a private car, delivery car or a lorry, a restraint seat must be used, if the seat belts are fitted in the car, or the child seat can otherwise be fitted into the car. If no restraint seat can be fitted, the child in the age of 3 years at least, may not sit on the front seat. A child under 3 years may not be transported in a car at all without a restraint seat. The only exception for this are the taxis.
but others also (Liikenneturva or the AA (pdf)) mention this.

However, if you feel like you must use child seat in a taxi, you could contact Sehento and MrTaxi who should be able to bring one when pre-ordered.
Image & many others, currently in Image

buldozr

Post by buldozr » Mon May 03, 2010 11:31 am

If you'll need to use a car seat regularly for some time, you can rent one at least in Helsinki, from Helsingin liikenneturvallisuusyhdistys.

Niblet

Post by Niblet » Sun May 09, 2010 8:21 pm

thanks, been here a week and so far no one's been bothered, only been a few taxis though. Done tons of walking though. think we'll do without for now.

help73

Post by help73 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:32 pm

I brought my carseat from the US. It had the latch (isofix) system. BUt, we ended up just using the pumpkin seat in the cab which was held in place by two sets of seatbelts. I think your carseat should be fine.

melawan.dunia

Post by melawan.dunia » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:22 pm

I just rented a car seat from www.zakibabyclub.com
They delivered it to the airport and the service was very friendly.