next step while living in Finland as an Au Pair

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
rrothhav

Post by rrothhav » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:54 am

Soo....
I got a job in Finland as an au pair. I'm in the process of moving and finishing everything up with residence permit paperwork. I will also be enrolled in Language courses, and am very excited to learn Finnish! :P
It will be for one year, and then I had hoped to attend university after.
Basically I'm wondering, If I get married will they extend my residence permit to continuous?
Also what documentation should I bring with me so I don't have to come back to the United States?
On the other hand, shouldi decide to wait, how can I stay in Finland so we can have more time to make this decision?
I looked into it, and for a student permit I need to have about 7000 euros. I don't have this kind of money. Other options please!
Last edited by rrothhav on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Marrying A Finn while living in Finland as an Au Pair

Post by Rip » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:14 am

rrothhav wrote:Can I marry and stay in Finland after my residence permit expires?
If you get married you have a for applying a new permit based on family ties. If you go this route, submit the application before your current permit expires. You may stay in Finland while the application is being processed but (like now(?)) you are not entitled to social benefits you should have private health insurance for the processing time as well (nobody checks it, but you (and your then husband) will be in financial trouble if something happens and you are not insured)
Or can I extend the au pair permit?
http://www.migri.fi/download.asp?id=au_ ... 9871e75%7D
Basically I'm wondering, If I get married will they extend my residence permit to continuous?
If you are granted a permit (basically if they believe the marriage is genuine - probably quite likely in your case), it will be of the continuous ('A') type (It is not the same as permanent ('P') permit). If you were applying first time based on family ties you'd first get one year and then a four year permit on first extension. I do not know for sure if your existing au pair permit changes that .
Also what documentation should I bring with me so I don't have to come back to the United States?
Download the application forms and read what are required attachments. They want to get copies of your passport and I guess they want to see an extract from the population registration database showing the marriage having taken place (although they have access themselves to it as well). Probably nothing else.

and for a student permit I need to have about 7000 euros. I don't have this kind of money.
You'd need money to live on anyway - just counting on that you can get a part time (even if very recommendable to try) job can be risky. Those who have a student permit aren't entitled to student benefits from the government (those who have a family tie permit are).
Other options please!
Find another job and get an permit based on that. Probably not very easy with (what I assume is) your current educational level.

That is it - family ties (marriage), study or work. No other options.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:52 am

To get married here you have to show you have no other legal partner. You get this paper in your home country, but it has only a limited validity (iirc 3 months). If you're not planning on an immediate marriage, you'll have to find a way to get this paper later. So a trip back to the States is quite likely.

ajl

Post by ajl » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:46 am

There is no way to get such a paper in the US, look at the US Embassy web site as you are a US citizen.
Look under citizen services.
moving is in the bad <-> crazy continuum

rrothhav

Post by rrothhav » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:51 pm

OK, so it sounds like I can just get the permit extended for a different reason.
I just do not want to have to come back here.
I have nothing, and no one here; not even family.
Things are not as they should be here, our government doesn't help its own, unlike Finland's.
So I'll do whatever it takes to stay in Finland. I may not have a degree yet, but I'm about halfway there in the field of Anthropology and Linguistics. My original intention was to study in Finland up until Doctoral level , then stay and do my fieldwork there with the Saami, then way down the line apply for citizenship. I wasn't planning on falling for someone, but I suppose if it's meant to be it will.
Tips for finding jobs anyone? I'm taking Finnish courses paid for by the host family so I will be speaking Finnish, and I intend to speak it fluently. I'm not a typical American in that I have a strong desire to learn other languages, and very well.
Can't I get a paper saying I have no partner from the US Embassy,it seems as if they could handle that type of request? I can't come back when I leave, the people I am staying with now are moving to Israel in November so there really is nothing for me here once I leave. (everyone seems to be leaving the United States lately.)

Rip

Post by Rip » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:37 pm

rrothhav wrote:Can't I get a paper saying I have no partner from the US Embassy
Check the embassy web page - they at least used to instruct the procedure to follow.

rrothhav

Post by rrothhav » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Thanks, I did, I'm sure i won't need it but at least i'll have it should i meet the right man. Would be so bad to have to leave, go get it and come back. lol I'm officially overly prepared.
Last edited by rrothhav on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cynde

Post by Cynde » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:05 pm

Getting a residence permit is fairly easy here if you follow the procedure, get papers in on TIME, (my problem) and have a job to support yourself. If you have that job for a year, by then you will have found other opportunities like other jobs and study possibilities, and as was mentioned you next permit most likely will be for 4 years, then you can apply for citizenship, especially if you are married. I have lived here for many years unmarried, and have still survived. :D But I have to admit the process was quicker and smoother wen I was married. I hope you like it here! When do you arrive?
Cynde
Knitting takes balls...

Cynde

Post by Cynde » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:07 pm

P.S. You can also eventually receive a permanent work/residence permit, too, so becoming a citizen isn't the only way to stay here 'forever'.
Cynde
Knitting takes balls...

rrothhav

Post by rrothhav » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:03 am

I have almost all the au pair paperwork done, I'm mailing everything out on wednesday. At this point I'm just nervous because I've heard so much about different processing times, and I've heard everywhere from two months to six months :/ I had an immigration lawyer look over everything, and she assures me It's immaculate, I just hope it only takes two months. :/
I think I'll probably start looking for a job once I've been in Vantaa for about six months, so I can work and study after the au pair year is up.
I just want to come so badly, Finland really is the fresh start I need :P
I will be happy and less nervous once I'm actually there and looking for work and study opportunities beyond au pairing.
Thanks! I hope so too, I really think I will!
I'm really hoping for october, but it depends on when the paperwork goes through!
I'd love to be able to spend some of the fall season in Finland.
Do you mind me asking how you started out in Finland, and the steps you took? :)

Cynde

Post by Cynde » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:12 pm

I sent you a long PM, did you get it? I clicked 'send' and it disappeared ? :roll:
Knitting takes balls...

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:26 pm

rrothhav wrote: I just want to come so badly,
If your boyfriend isn't up to it I can do weekdays :ochesey:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

rrothhav

Post by rrothhav » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:04 pm

Cynde, I did not receive a message, If you like, you can email me.
I've noticed the messaging is a bit weird on here, maybe a few bugs to work out.
If your boyfriend isn't up to it I can do weekdays
Lol, I didn't realize how bad the phrasing was when I said that! Well now I've had a good laugh :D
Last edited by rrothhav on Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cynde

Post by Cynde » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:53 pm

OK I sent it on. Yikes, there are a lot of wiseguys/weirdos here! (helpful ones)
Knitting takes balls...

Suvetar

Post by Suvetar » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:06 pm

I was an au pair when I met my husband. I did not have any permit and I did marry him, and got the permanent resident permit afterwards. Not a problem at all if you're from Europe!