Hello Vaasa!

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
HMS

Hello Vaasa!

Post by HMS » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:42 pm

I'm writing to find people in our area who are in a similar situation.
I'm a finn and married to my british husband. We have two children. Vaasa is known to be very international place nowadays. I just foud out that here lives 120 britts and we don't know hardly any of them. Are there any english speaking families from Vaasa visiting Finland Forum? Doesn't have to be only britts :wink:

Sorry about spelling etc. Writing in english has never been my cup of tea

Hello Vaasa!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

TimVasa

Re: Hello Vaasa!

Post by TimVasa » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:52 am

Hi,

We appear to be in a similar situation. My wife is Finnish and I am British. We have just had our first child and we have lived in Vaasa for nearly 2 years. I have only met a few Brits so i'm amazed there are so many!

It would be really good to meet people in a similar situation. Feel free to get in touch, as it appears I have been one of the 120 British people living (too quietly) in Vaasa.

Tim.

katiaitalia75

Post by katiaitalia75 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Hi

does italian do for you?;D..MY husband is finn,,im italian,,,we live in Vaasa,,but no children yet...we are planning to get them soon after our church wedding in Italy next april...would be lovely to meet other mixed coupls from vaasa,,we are quite isolated,,i dont have friends at all,,except that one who oved away from vaasa and she isnt finn either,,and another who live in another town...so im pretty much alone here,,and my husband is not from vaasa either....maybe we get together for some nice italian dinner some day in our appartment,,,we live near the sea in a small appartment...hope to hear from you! :D

TimVasa

Post by TimVasa » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:09 pm

Hello!

Sorry not to reply sooner. I rarely check here. It would be great to meet up! Dinner would be nice but might be rather difficult as our daughter is still young and in bed by 18:30. We also live near the sea in Vasa. You are more than welcome to come visit for coffee or we can meet in town, which could be nice as the weather is improving. I am from England, i guess we all share English as a common language? Look forward to meeting you both.

Tim.

LovesCompass

Post by LovesCompass » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:03 pm

I'll see if I can drag this thread back up! Been a while since this conversation took place :) (Ok It took place yesterday, I read the wrong dates!)

I'm Scottish born and living in Vaasa with my Swedish speaking Finnish wife and our 5 week old boy.

I've been in Vaasa for about 10 months now, just working away and settling in but with the arrival of the little man I'm starting to feel the need to get out and about!

If anyone is still interested in a baby/coffee meeting I would be very happy to meet :D

I found this thread whilst looking for a Parent-Baby/Daddy-Baby group. I've heard there is one here in Vaasa but haven't been able to find out anything yet. If anyone knows anything the information would be appreciated :)

Shannon + Maria + BabyTaine

TimVasa

Post by TimVasa » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Hi,

Thought i best check in and not forget that I posted here. I too have a Swedish speaking Finnish wife and a new baby. We should definitely meet up. You can contact me via email [email protected] and i will be sure to check back here at some point.

xixu13

Post by xixu13 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi..Its nice to see that there is so many english speaking people in Vasa... I am Maltese ( malta is a small island in the under italy) and moving to Vasa next week..I am thinking of settling there if I can find a good job in my profession.. I am 22 years old and i work the kitchen as a chef.. As you already live in Vasa and do not speak fluent Finnish, do you think i can still find a job. Or maybe some of you have some contacts?
Thanks for your help and looking forward in meeting some of you in the future.. :D

danielsellers

Post by danielsellers » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi there,

I'm going to be living in Vaasa for four months from next Monday (26th August 13). I'm English but have lived in Scotland and Ireland. Coming to teach at one of the colleges and learn Swedish and Finnish.

Would be happy to meet up with anyone who wants a chat!

Daniel

TinaIndigo

Post by TinaIndigo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:36 pm

I'm wondering if people in this thread are still active? I'm moving to Vaasa in January to be closer to my Swedish-speaking boyfriend. I don't speak Finnish or Swedish though.. so I'm starting to panic about what kind of work I'll be able to get in Vaasa :-/ Are all of you English-speakers in work…?

alphamusic

Post by alphamusic » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:07 pm

TinaIndigo wrote:I'm wondering if people in this thread are still active? I'm moving to Vaasa in January to be closer to my Swedish-speaking boyfriend. I don't speak Finnish or Swedish though.. so I'm starting to panic about what kind of work I'll be able to get in Vaasa :-/ Are all of you English-speakers in work…?
None of the people who posted on this thread have been active, so you might have more luck starting a new thread to meet people from Vaasa. I would recommend starting a language course when you arrive. Vaasa Opisto has evening courses if you want to keep your options open for working during the day. You haven't mentioned what your education / work experience is, so it's hard to judge if you would fit into a niche role. If you don't have skills that set you apart, I'd highly recommend full time education here.